PL Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7WPR

Premium Subscriber
Good Day, I have a question about PL tones for receiving on scanners. AS we import LE/FIRE, etc from RR, PL tones come along with the frequencies. Are these necessary in order to hear on those freqs? Or are the PL tones for TX from the operators? This may have been addressed in the past, and please accept my apologies if it has been. I'm relatively new to this. Thank you for any help with this matter....

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
On a receiver (scanner), PL tones serve to prevent reception of any signal that does not contain the correct PL tone. This can prevent unwanted reception of other stations on the same frequency, and 'junk' such as intermod and images from strong transmitters on different frequencies.

In other words, if you don't have a PL programmed, you receive everything. With the PL, you only receive a signal with the right tone. It's like a gate.

N7WPR

Premium Subscriber
On a receiver (scanner), PL tones serve to prevent reception of any signal that does not contain the correct PL tone. This can prevent unwanted reception of other stations on the same frequency, and 'junk' such as intermod and images from strong transmitters on different frequencies.

In other words, if you don't have a PL programmed, you receive everything. With the PL, you only receive a signal with the right tone. It's like a gate.
Perfect, that really clears it up. I thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.