PLEASE fix NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

theTastyCat

This morning, monitoring local SO on NXDN:

Dispatch: "All units be advised, Six-Charlie-One responding to a holdup at--" *transmission drops never to return*

The average length of a dispatch transmission on NXDN for me is two seconds, which means I miss a lot. I am monitoring NXDN as conventional; would be nice to be able to monitor it as trunked so I can lock out talkgroups since my nearest site always gets traffic from 3 neighboring SOs and medics.

PLEASE fix it, Whistler :)

HOLEBILLY

I feel your pain, same thing here missing just about all the radio transmission on NXDN.

theTastyCat

Just got it running - so far (and still running as conventional, will try trunking later this evening) I can't tell that I'm missing any calls!! Can it really be true??

theTastyCat

Just reprogrammed the scanner to trunk NXDN and sorry to say it seems like it's back to its old tricks :/ in fairness I haven't had time to truly test it - just two minutes or so thus far.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just reprogrammed the scanner to trunk NXDN and sorry to say it seems like it's back to its old tricks :/ in fairness I haven't had time to truly test it - just two minutes or so thus far.
The "problem" system that I have been trying to monitor, with no success, Southwest Regional Communications Center Trunking System, Cedar Hill, Desoto, Dunca, Texas - Scanner Frequencies , is now working with an import from the database. Another local city, Lancaster, is also using NXDN, but the system is not in the database. I have programmed it manually. It does work, sort of, but besides the main TGID's, I'm also seeing splinter ID's that are likely not valid. I've seen about a half dozen talkgroups for PD & FD dispatch each, same exact traffic as on the identified channels. It's almost like trying to scan a Motorola Type II system with status bits enables.

kikito

Premium Subscriber

Tell us more details on what system, etc. You're monitoring. My NXDN 9600 systems didn't used to work AT ALL but after the update is working great and I can even pause on TGs and the radio keeps up with DSD+.

theTastyCat

Thanks for the offer, kikito - I sure appreciate it! Here's the system I'm working on:

Tennessee Homeland Security District 7 NXDN Trunking System, Various, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies

AggieCon has been *incredibly* helpful as well, taking a tremendous amount of time for me to even get DSD+ up and running with some dongles to get an even better idea of what's going on.

So *before* the latest update the best-case scenario for monitoring was to enter all the freqs and scan as NXDN conventional. There was still lots of missed traffic and transmissions would usually drop after 2 seconds, but that was better than running trunked since all you'd get is the odd word or phrase every few minutes.

*After* the update - when I monitor via conventional it seems to be working fantastically. Almost a bit too fantastically, in fact - since the site I'm monitoring is in the intersection of three counties, it's always got three SOs and FD/EMS on it, so it's a pretty good challenge to figure out what's going on in any one certain place. That's why I'm so eager to get it working as a trunked system so I can easily control talkgroups and lock out others.

So - I started a new trunked system in EZScan and inputted the freqs, and it's acting like it did before the update; missing most traffic, just the odd word or phrase. However, it occurred to me tonight that I had it on NXDN(D) and since there is a control channel, I may need to be on NXDN(C) instead. May try that!

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks for the offer, kikito - I sure appreciate it! Here's the system I'm working on:

Tennessee Homeland Security District 7 NXDN Trunking System, Various, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies

AggieCon has been *incredibly* helpful as well, taking a tremendous amount of time for me to even get DSD+ up and running with some dongles to get an even better idea of what's going on.

So *before* the latest update the best-case scenario for monitoring was to enter all the freqs and scan as NXDN conventional. There was still lots of missed traffic and transmissions would usually drop after 2 seconds, but that was better than running trunked since all you'd get is the odd word or phrase every few minutes.

*After* the update - when I monitor via conventional it seems to be working fantastically. Almost a bit too fantastically, in fact - since the site I'm monitoring is in the intersection of three counties, it's always got three SOs and FD/EMS on it, so it's a pretty good challenge to figure out what's going on in any one certain place. That's why I'm so eager to get it working as a trunked system so I can easily control talkgroups and lock out others.

So - I started a new trunked system in EZScan and inputted the freqs, and it's acting like it did before the update; missing most traffic, just the odd word or phrase. However, it occurred to me tonight that I had it on NXDN(D) and since there is a control channel, I may need to be on NXDN(C) instead. May try that!

Which of the sites are you trying to monitor? Hopefully you are trying to load only that 1 site. If you try to load and monitor/scan multiple sites, you're certainly going to miss activity for various reasons.

kikito

Premium Subscriber

Yes, AggieCon is very helpful and very knowledgeable. [thumbs up]

However, it occurred to me tonight that I had it on NXDN(D) and since there is a control channel, I may need to be on NXDN(C) instead. May try that!

If it has a control channel then YES, I think you should have it set to NXDN(C). You can even change that real quick through the radio menus to try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.