Police Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9jcx

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about buying a digital police scanner but I have a smart phone and I can download an app that can do the same thing or am I missing something? I guess I would have to have the app running all the time with the charger plugged in I guess. Besides that what's he difference between the two?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about buying a digital police scanner but I have a smart phone and I can download an app that can do the same thing or am I missing something? I guess I would have to have the app running all the time with the charger plugged in I guess. Besides that what's he difference between the two?

The main difference is you do NOT have any control over what you are listening too when using a so called scanner app or live feed. What the feed provider sends out is what you get.
With a real scanner radio, you have full control of what you monitor.
Plus, the live feeds that are here do not include many TAC type talkgroups and some others. They are forbidden in the TOS for various but valid reasons in most cases. So you could have something that carries Tactical type traffic some of the times that cannot be fed over the Broadcastify service that is offered here.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
App versus Scanner

With an application, you should only be hearing dispatch channels. The really good listening occurs with other channels/talk groups that should not be on an online feed. With a scanner, you can listen to your heart's delight provided that the transmissions are open to monitoring. However, before you buy, I would encourage you to research whether or not your area is migrating to a radio system that can be monitored with a scanner.

At present, some of us are waiting on Whistler to come out with a scanner that picks up other radio systems currently out of our reach.

Some areas have already migrated to Phase II P25 radio systems. Hence, you need a Phase II scanner to hear them. At present, there are only three models capable of hearing such.

kb9jcx

Premium Subscriber
That's my friends scanner and the more I mess with it i'm thinking of getting one myself but it seems that Radio Shack don't sell them anymore.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Waiting on Whistler

I am waiting on Whistler to see what they have in store for us. At present, we have seen what Uniden has produced, the two new Phase II scanners. But, Uniden did not go where I wanted, liberating more radio systems currently out of the reach of traditional scanning such as Mototrbo. Yes, it is possible to set up a rig capable of monitoring such, but it is certainly not convenient for me. From what I hear, Open Sky won't be one of these systems.

So, I am willing to pay more and wait longer for the radio I want for the future. I won't buy a PSR 800 since it is unclear how the firmware will be handled. Should Whistler re-issue their version of such, I might buy one; however, this would be after I determine that they are not going to make a scanner capable of receiving other radios systems.

I don't know about you, but I'm not bleeding dollar bills. I consider buying a scanner to be a sizable investment.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I'm with you ensnared uniden blew it on these 2 new ones I want one that will do most systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I only have a couple of analog trunkers but I came across a good deal on a Pro-18 which I should have tomorrow. That will be my "carry over" digital Phase I scanner until Whistler releases their GRE PSR-800 and PSR-900 remakes. When those come along it will be "decision time".

I'm not bleeding money either but I'm certainly not poor either - just trying to be smart about my scanner purchases.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I hope whistler comes out one that does every system that can be scanned obviously you can't monitor open sky and a handful of others including encrypted ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtp

but wait there's more

using a phone app you only get to hear what they want. if you have a radio you can listen to anything you want. i just went to an airshow and the guy next to me was amazed that we could listen to the thunderbird pilots. he was going to go back home and look into getting a scanner to do just that. some guy on rr is trying to get the garbage truck freqs for a friend. my girlfriend kind of hates that i listen to any store that we go to home depot, walmart, the mall, we had gone to a shoe store and they only had one register working and she was mad a the wait so i told her it was because of the computer being down at the other (yep, was heard on the radio). so you might like other areas of radio.
have fun and enjoy !

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
If you don't want to wait, look into the Uniden BCD396XT. I just got one a few weeks ago and I'm loving it!

I have a couple SDR dongles on the way too. Look into that as well op.

Status
Not open for further replies.