• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President George II

slowmover

Uniden BEARCAT BC906W Wireless Mic (DECT)

This is excellent news.

A must-have, IMO, as a Randy is the other part of a fully capable “mobile” base station.

$75

Bearcat wireless (not Bluetooth) for moving in a 100-yard radius, and Randy as both back-up radio (plug into existing system) and ability to work greater distances back to “station”. (My true back-up radios are also SSB).

Sky is the limit for your field day.

Amateur also:

Last edited:
I know all these new radios brands like President and Anytone and a few others are all manufactured by 1 company and theyre doing a great job with the modern circuitry they put into every single radio they build no matter what brand name is on the faceplate they all still share an identical circuitry thats just the best in the world right now as far as im concerned.
I dont know how to spell the name of this company so i will not attempt to do so because everyone already knows who they are because of the top shelf quality RF products they produce, i think they are the greatest thing ever happened to man kind since sliced bread because theyre also becoming a household name in CB and HAM radio just like the Dynascan company use to be back in the 1970,s 80,s and 90,s.
My entire radio station is now all Anytone and President that began with my first ever Anytone at-5555+ then not long after that i also purchased the new President Ronald 10/12 meter 50 watt radio then after that i was hooked.
If only the new President Ronald 10/12 meter radio had SSB it would be the absolute perfect little transceiver that i would take it with me to my grave.

slowmover

Qixiang factory. But Anytone and the President models differ (as does Stryker) for their in-house design work which the contractor carries out per that different spec. Different than AT or the QT60 which is a re-badge.

There are other brands (mainly EU market) and I’m not aware of what differences may apply.

I wholly agree with your sentiments. I’m a little irked at my stack of unused radios, but, IMO, President brand means one is hitting doubles & triples.

Older Radios

Some of my Unidens may go away . . maybe a Galaxy, but I’ll find a way past the external DSP devices to keep them updated. (A Q5 is what I use in the big truck at present).

This is an those firmware/software updates for maybe both my 99v2 and 959b:

If it works out to have VFO plus modern SSB stability, then internal installation of DSP on RX, and a President Digi-Mic might work out for TX.

— The older radios are easier to monitor all day via sound quality. DSP brought me into the 21st Century 10-years ago.

With DSP aboard or not I highly recommend the Driver Extreme DRX-901 speaker.

Where doggoned loud is needed, then the KES-5

— Someone starting from scratch needs NRC-integrated.

Last edited:

slowmover

Unfortunately, President hasn’t added NRC to their, “HAM Radio Transceivers”, as of yet. This includes Ronald (great small size!)

I run my Lincoln II+ with a West Mountain Radio CLRspeech DSP Speaker which is needed for best clarity.

A Digi-Mic is the other addition.

Clarity for the win! (Vocal detail).

This rig is the first I’ve owned where I am questioned regularly on 11M AM & SSB where the querent wants to know the brand & model. While I believe my set of choices & quality install of mobile plays significantly, it highlights the strengths of a President radio.

That’s the best compliment I know.

There’s at least one man telling those asking that his Anytone Q5 is a Yaesu or Icom (ha!).

As to upgrades, a McKinley with DDS-VFO plus internal CLRmodule both retrofitted externally may be an outstanding set-up. (Or a Linc). Or an external DSP controller or speaker to also include other radios.

George 2 is outstanding thus far. Price-wise, go with QT60 as G2 also needs a KL203, IMO, unless someone learns how to add second final.

Last edited:

DeeEx

[

This rig is the first I’ve owned where I am questioned regularly on 11M AM & SSB where the querent wants to know the brand & model. While I believe my set of choices & quality install of mobile plays significantly, it highlights the strengths of a President radio.

That’s the best compliment I know.

There’s at least one man telling those asking that his Anytone Q5 is a Yaesu or Icom (ha!).

Funny you mention that.

All of the locals know I operate an Icom 756 base for nearly all of my HF activity. If it’s someone in my club, I’m sure that’s what they associate with me.

We tried to get a 10m club net going on Sunday evenings. I worked Sunday evenings so I couldn’t be home but wanted to participate. Had to dust off a mobile that was capable of 10m.

I considered my best 10m mobile to be what’s technically an “export” but has had a boatload of work done to make it a full 10-12 meter rig. It’s a Superstar 3900 ZX Turbo— very similar to a Galaxy 88. Odd gold face and integrated frequency counter.

I used that radio on the club net and got nothing but compliments. With a simple Astatic mic it sounded terrific yet distinct from my base radio.

slowmover

Impressions while mobile on AM-19 between old style radios and new:

The divide between old-fashioned CB radio audio punch found desirable, and latest radio clarity is turning into more of a gulf.

Once one has DSP in RX, the muddiness of that old-fashioned sound becomes apparent. An antique way to try to get attention.

Its not that my Galaxy set-ups aren’t good (not saying as good as yours), it’s that the overtone harmonics aren’t any longer the price paid.

The flat, dry sound of Amateur gear on 11M isn’t much of an impediment to hear. But these NRC radios do sound a bit better at speed while mobile.

Reactions of others are important feedback. An NRC radio across your club net would be worthy of report.

DSP renders detail. Not simply what is being said, but how it is being said.

Distinction being made by G2 reviewers — already familiar with Stryker 955 or QT5/QT60 radios — is that G2 is just that much better in this regard.

On at least one of the online G2 videos one is hearing Sideband which was really impressive (as I don’t expect a video to convey it well).

The unconscious extent to which we fill in the gaps in speech with fainter signals isn't appreciated nearly enough.

When everyone is nearby and familiar it’s not as apparent on AM as when everyone is a stranger and in motion while moving away from each other. Where quality becomes an aspect of quantity (time = distance).

I find myself more relaxed behind the mic. Speak up to be heard isn’t as operative. Nor is much more than reasonably minimal power (to be specific about big truck mobile).

They were both crutches.

The reactions from other drivers is very good assuming a poor installation & antenna system on the part of others. What’s typical.

Ones ability to help dial in the sound of the other mans rig goes thru the roof as I’ve mentioned (given experience with how CB controls work in decision-tree diagnosis).

Parked, playing on SSB a little, it’s the same set of reactions (with them as can hear me).

Last edited:

slowmover

Post in thread 'President George FCC'
President George FCC

As well:

It’s not that much more than the RM ITALY low pass.

Last edited:

slowmover

cbradiomagazine reviews:

This review is thorough.
Months of use, mobile & base.
Excellent intro to this type of radio.

NRC explained well, but, again, no note of how it can pull the other mobile rig out of the noise background. The typically poor mobile to be heard across the country. This is where ine receives huge value in moving to this type radio.

How to use CTCSS/DCS:

Last edited:

slowmover

NRC:

Reviews of radios so equipped aren’t by those for whom Citizen Band is central to their daily welfare. Income potential changes daily for professional drivers, and risk is ever-present. This pairing is why you’ll see me uphold clarity as the path to success.

Reviewers will skip over this, not recognizing its importance. Clarity brings in the faint signal despite others who are boastful, arrogant, aggravating and vain.

The value of digital signal processing gets buried underneath content. First, it doesn’t matter who is speaking or what they are speaking about much less the vocabulary. (This is where the thread on NRC value gets lost; Joe Suburbanite turns it off . . . he isn’t up to the struggle).

Second, the value of DSP is tied to clarity as a function of secondary vocal characteristics. The manner in which something is being said. What on an obsolete radio design (though brand new) seems a lot of gutter sweepings is actually one user or several just giving another man a hard time. Ribbing him.

We’ve cut away the noise which predominates where voices just barely make it out, to where vocal characteristics make it much clearer how something is being said.

“You” might get excitable sounding on-air when a wreck is happening right out in front of you. Gettin’ your cherry popped. Others of us are just kinda choppy in remembering the Mile Marker as we haul down on 77,000-lbs and the need to stay upright.

A). Others aren’t necessarily going to react because you suddenly went up two octaves and are garbling syntax.

B). Others aren’t necessarily going to react hearing US Army radio etiquette given in flat cadence. Order of Precedence.

Nature of Problem

US State
Highway Identification
Direction of Travel
Best Location Approximation

(Repeat)

For those who are monitoring road conditions key words & phrases cause attention to come to focus.

NRC makes it more likely you’ll hear something.
Your single chance.

C). Because you are now a regular on-air participant, the clarity of your rig means others can comprehend the subtler uses of your voice.
They’re more relaxed. Open. And may recall what they believe you ought to know that’s still up ahead of you. That they passed two hours ago.

— Weather, when combined with higher traffic volume, is a hazard for everyone. Cracker barrel discussions.

— Or, it’s that the Net is down past X-burg and there’s no way to buy fuel or provisions the next 200-miles eastbound without cash. What alternatives or reports from the next major road 100-miles south?

— Or maybe it’s breaking dawn on IH-40 and the other man asks if you know the Loves Travel Center just west of ABQ. Recommends a coffee break to watch the hot air balloons ascend from that high vantage point during the festival.

The man with a good radio system.

Can hear and be heard. With clarity. Will learn more since others are likelier to speak with him as they’ve heard him, first.

— The most basic communication is an information trade. What you’ve passed (as above) and asking what’s out ahead?

The GEORGE also has a bit of RX equalization to dial in that DRX-901 according to its mount location, an open window and other radio settings. (Best extension speaker isn’t optional, IMO). Not quite treble & bass, but that emphasis.

The better you can hear (audio fidelity), the easier become all aspects of operation. Goes without saying that the antenna system had gilt leaf applied. Others will appreciate that there are those who care enough to get it right, and respond on principle. That man with the good system might hear something in mine I need to correct.

A great radio can’t overcome being handicapped. But it’ll instantly make apparent on a familiar road how much you were missing previously. (Quality).

Clarity is a Quality without which one is bereft of the means necessary.

NRC isn’t just “noise reduction”. It’s a speech clarifier and enables the radio receiver to reach its limits in what you can comprehend. Hear well enough to respond.

— Your audio system needs attention: HQ speaker plus overhead mount above left shoulder is the ideal. Experiment at speed with open windows. NRC means highest volume setting isn’t necessary when you get speaker mount location right.

Last edited: