• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President mobile CB radios - Professional, polished and serious radios for the 11-meter band

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmover

I agree, just ordered a president "bill" that I stumbled across a great deal on (so good I'm almost not going to believe my luck until its actually shipped and in my greedy hands! Don't ask, I bought the very last one, sold out, I would have bought several if I could)

On my 1999 Honda CRV with 301,000+ miles an inexpensive uniden with no features tied to a $20 roadpro fiberglass antenna is fine and dandy, and call it a day.

The bar is set a little higher for my wife's fully loaded 2020 Jeep Cherokee. I want to have a CB in that car, its our main road-trip vehicle, but a husband does not just go gob a $35 uniden and a $20 fiberglass antenna on his wife's $40k car, right? :LOL: To get the approval to put a CB in her car, it has to be a nice looking and unobtrusive unit and the same goes for the antenna. You didn't really touch on antennas in your first post but President Electronics is one of the only brands I see making an actual attempt to produce low profile, nice looking CB antennas that blend in better with modern cars. They have two short 1/4 wave antennas which, no doubt, will never perform like a 102 inch steel whip BUT if they work decently for their size, and don't detract from the aesthetics of the car, its a big win in our book.

Now ideally a radio installed in the nicer car that she mainly drives is not just in the car for my benefit on road trips. I'd like for her to use it as well even if I'm not in the car. For her to want to use it, it has to be well designed and easy to use. President shines in this area as well.

The "Bill" radio I ordered is almost impossibly small and compact compared to traditional radios, small enough that I can surly find a nice spot for it on a modern dash of her nice car and not draw her ire every time she looks at it. She actually loves mods for her car that make it look more adventurous and off-roady, but they have to at least match somewhat aesthetically and not be obtrusive. I'd say the President model "Bill" hits that nail on the head. Small, with straightforward controls, adjustable LCD colors to match the car, and easy to use. I truly believe that the automatic squelch is the saving grace that will get her to actually use the radio. Without that, she would listen to probably about 10 seconds of the static and shut it right off. Fussing with manual squelch and/or listening to continuous static is going to be a no-go for lots of people with only a marginal interest. President seems to know this and looks to have automatic squelch standard on virtually every CB they make.

So with a President "Bill" installed I can tell her to simply turn on the volume and leave the squelch on auto and that's it. Use the radio. Channel up/down controls right on the mic and nothing else to fuss with. Press the weather button if you want to listen to some forecast for a while. No array of 20 other buttons across the face to cause confusion. Just leave the ANL and NB on all the time.

President makes nice, simple, quality radios for people who don't even care that much, and I think it's awesome because that's how I'm going to get a few more people "into CB". For what you're getting with a "Bill" model they aren't even charging that much. Still can't believe I snagged one bundled with the Wyoming UP Magnetic antenna for $69. Oops, did I say that out loud? Better not jinx it! Like I said I'll fully believe it when its actually shipped and delivered, but I just stumbled across it on walmart.com of all places while researching, with one left in stock, ordered as fast as my little fingers could go!

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Uniden 980SSB. That has been an awesome radio so far. But I'm using it as a base station at home. Its a fairly bulky unit with a kinda cheesy chrome faceplate and there is, according to my wife, no place for something like that on the dash of an all black-on-black-on-black blacked-out inside blacked-out outside 2020 Jeep Cherokee with the "High Altitude" package... :rolleyes: The car is sleek and sleek it must stay!

I'm really looking forward to installing that P. Bill setup in our... I mean, her Cherokee. If walmart contacts me saying there was a mistake and they cannot ship me the bundled P. Bill radio with the Wyoming UP antenna and they refund me the $69, I'll turn around and order those at regular price and still feel like its well worth it. We do lots of road trips in that car, often in caravan with other cars of friends or family who I can loan mobile handheld units with magnetic centerloads and we'll all have a great time chatting on for miles on end :D plus chatting with truckers and getting weather and road updates and all that other good stuff.

But no doubt anyone of my friends or family who show interest in CB radio when they see me messing with it, President is the brand I'm most likely to recommend and 9 times out of 10 it will probably be the compact P. Bill specifically as a starting point.

IMO, the make or break of CB is a high quality external speaker.

Kenwood KES-5 from public services radio (EBay, used).

Try it firing into drivers footwell from under seat.

The “audio quality” difference.

Ricksop

I have an Andy II and have a Randy on the way. I agree 100% with what you are saying. There probably isn't a better FCC Part 95 certified radio brand out there today.
Hi,my Andy2 is pushing 3.2 watts. I know how to get into service menu but don't know what to adjust. I see pl ,al ,r1 , and S in the menu. Any suggestions? Thanks

n7lrg

Premium Subscriber
I have two McKinleys. I run one as a base with a Sirio 5/8 wave vertical @20 feet. works quite well. The other is in my truck.

slowmover

I bought my Lincoln II last year partly out of fear supply might dry up. It’s a little too good for what I need in the big truck.

I’m still debating whether to run it in the pickup truck, but probably will defer to a Galaxy 99 and an RM-Italy KL7505v.

OTOH, the competition (kinda same radio) now have moved to a new board with an internal Digital Signal Processing filter , the revolutionary jump in ability in a mobile. One of those $280-$450 variants replaces $600 in gear I use (as output is to 70W). No more outboard amp or DSP speaker.

I’ll gladly buy another PRESIDENT Lincoln when that becomes available. A highly efficient mobile antenna can use that sort of output to do what I want (not exceed the distance I can clearly hear others . . which is considerable).

And, instead of a mount attached to the pickup truck floor, I can mount it in-dash. Apreferable solution.

16E5D444-BD1F-4254-B0F8-23399CD2AEF6.jpeg

DSP is not optional.

Last edited:

slowmover

He’s a good ol’ boy, folks like him. His reviews are middle-of-the-road.

This is the combo I worked up with a SIRIO 5000 for my sons SUV.

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
I just sprang for a McKinley, in part because of the good reviews President radios have gotten on this forum (I lurk a lot, don't post much). Am waiting on delivery.

Probably will not install it in the vehicle (better half not keen), but will use it from the picnic table in the back yard. I have an MFJ-1810T telescopic 10m antenna on the way which I intend to use with the McKinley, for a self-contained set-up.

I do all-QRP amateur radio, and I know SSB can get you pretty far with minimal watts. Hoping there is a bit of action on the AM channels, too, as well as Ch 38 SSB. But I have both a BC125AT scanner and a Yaesu FT-818 amateur radio, and I've not heard any local CB action with them even with some nice long wire antennas which I assume would be good receive antennas.... Fingers crossed!

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Just received my Lincoln 2+ took it out of the box fired it up on my Siro 5/8 to make sure it works and it did. Now boxing it up along with the RM203 and sending it to Black Ops for modification to 11 meters and tuning using the 203p.

MjrSinkhole

I just got back into running a radio in my vehicle. I am running a President Andy II with a President Iowa antenna. Getting the mount sorted was interesting. I have a 2015 Silverado and while looking for a fender mount I found many listings for 2010-2018. In my mind, this made no sense. Body styles on GM trucks run from 2007-2013, 2014-2018, and 2019-Current. I found the proper mount from Rugged Radios but with a 3/8 NMO hole. I ordered that up and drilled the hole 1/2". I am running a Procomm 12' Terminator series cable with an FME end. I removed the fold-down pocket from the dash and mounted the radio in the opening. I am a mobile electronics installer by trade so my setup is tied into my stereo. I ran a mono 3.5mm/RCA adapter up to the radio and then used an RCA splitter into the radio. I can now set my radio to AV In and my truck's stereo is now my external speaker. I can use Android Auto for navigation while listening to the CB or NOAA Weather. So far I really like this radio. I was hoping to run my 35yr. old Astatic D104 M6B as it is wired the same as my old 1987 Undien Pro520XL, but I need to rewire it, when I went to test it the mic would not transmit. I found the white wire had broken off at the solder joint. I will get that fixed at work next week.

Attachments

• President Andy II.jpg
    President Andy II.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 31
  • President Iowa.jpg
    President Iowa.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 28

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
I just sprang for a McKinley, in part because of the good reviews President radios have gotten on this forum (I lurk a lot, don't post much). Am waiting on delivery.

Probably will not install it in the vehicle (better half not keen), but will use it from the picnic table in the back yard. I have an MFJ-1810T telescopic 10m antenna on the way which I intend to use with the McKinley, for a self-contained set-up.

I do all-QRP amateur radio, and I know SSB can get you pretty far with minimal watts. Hoping there is a bit of action on the AM channels, too, as well as Ch 38 SSB. But I have both a BC125AT scanner and a Yaesu FT-818 amateur radio, and I've not heard any local CB action with them even with some nice long wire antennas which I assume would be good receive antennas.... Fingers crossed!

So I got the McKinley up and running a couple of weeks ago, parked at a gas station in a physically high part of town. I was working with both a $22 Scosche magmount I got in a bubble pack at a hardware store (I didn't have very high hopes for it, but it wasn't quite as bad as you'd expect. It was tuned a bit high, though: the minimum SWR was a bit under 2 and located between the 11 metre and the 10 metre bands). I also tried an OPEK-HVT600 ham antenna on a magmount (not really meant for 11 metres, but there was a jumper setting and length that the antenna analyzer said would work with under 1.5 SWR from 1-40, and it did).

The audio on the McKinley is much much better (clearer) than on my Yaesu-818 ham radio, and the forward-facing speaker is much more convenient than the upwards facing speaker on the Yaesu. The longer cord on the mic is very handy. The McKinley heard way more than the Yaesu heard, even with the same antenna set-up (just swapped out the radios) so it is significantly more sensitive in the CB band. I suppose that's not surprising: the Yaesu isn't really meant for that band. But the happy event meant there was way more to listen to than I thought there was going to be.

There were lots of folks "calling CQ" on the upper channels on SSB, but they didn't hear me when I answered. They didn't seem to hear each other either, or at least not very often. On the other hand, I got two contacts on 19 AM; one was a delivery truck down the road a couple of miles from me and the other in the same parking lot as me (a contractor on lunch break). So it was a happy afternoon, and I'm certainly very pleased with the radio. I wish President was a bigger player in the ham radio market, because they do make REALLY nice stuff based on my experience with the McKinley.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Is the President McKinley in US being offered with AM / FM / LSB / USB ? A couple months ago the Bill II FCC (US ) was the only radio with FM mode. I am between CB radios at the moment and holding out for a McKinley if I can get all modes. Otherwise I would have to reach out for export.

slowmover

Is the President McKinley in US being offered with AM / FM / LSB / USB ? A couple months ago the Bill II FCC (US ) was the only radio with FM mode. I am between CB radios at the moment and holding out for a McKinley if I can get all modes. Otherwise I would have to reach out for export.

Things changed in May.

One would be better off with an:

ANYTONE AT-5555II
AM/FM/SSB/NOAA @ 60W

The latest Qixiang circuit board includes adjustable NRC (DSP).

That’s the real game-changer. First real change since the expansion to 40-channels.

The frequency stability (alone) makes it worthwhile. And, it’s not really that much more expensive than a McKinley.

I look forward to when PRESIDENT makes use of this in a re-vamped line-up. But I’m not going to hold my breath.

DSP in the audio is what makes or breaks it in ever changing mobile.

McKinley plus an outboard DSP unit and a KL-203 is $500 to be equivalent.

Quad 5N2 is only $250. And has better frequency stability, to boot.

Post link of new owner at RR

Last edited:

slowmover

So I got the McKinley up and running a couple of weeks ago, parked at a gas station in a physically high part of town. I was working with both a $22 Scosche magmount I got in a bubble pack at a hardware store (I didn't have very high hopes for it, but it wasn't quite as bad as you'd expect. It was tuned a bit high, though: the minimum SWR was a bit under 2 and located between the 11 metre and the 10 metre bands). I also tried an OPEK-HVT600 ham antenna on a magmount (not really meant for 11 metres, but there was a jumper setting and length that the antenna analyzer said would work with under 1.5 SWR from 1-40, and it did).

The audio on the McKinley is much much better (clearer) than on my Yaesu-818 ham radio, and the forward-facing speaker is much more convenient than the upwards facing speaker on the Yaesu. The longer cord on the mic is very handy. The McKinley heard way more than the Yaesu heard, even with the same antenna set-up (just swapped out the radios) so it is significantly more sensitive in the CB band. I suppose that's not surprising: the Yaesu isn't really meant for that band. But the happy event meant there was way more to listen to than I thought there was going to be.

There were lots of folks "calling CQ" on the upper channels on SSB, but they didn't hear me when I answered. They didn't seem to hear each other either, or at least not very often. On the other hand, I got two contacts on 19 AM; one was a delivery truck down the road a couple of miles from me and the other in the same parking lot as me (a contractor on lunch break). So it was a happy afternoon, and I'm certainly very pleased with the radio. I wish President was a bigger player in the ham radio market, because they do make REALLY nice stuff based on my experience with the McKinley.

Gave one to my son in 2020.
Along with a SIRIO 5000 mag mount.
(An antenna strongly recommended in any search).

KES-5 speaker in footwell.
Permanent power to battery.
KL-203 to get heard.

The radio alternative cited above will replace it. Remove 203 and cancel DSP Speaker order.

“ . . But the happy event meant there was way more to listen to than I thought there was going to be.”

Yes. And DSP does that all over again: the radio can hear, but not adequately filter the marginal signals until DSP is added.

Now just have to get sons permission to install a LARSEN NMO34b with the radio upgrade.

These changes will clean up wiring & coax (delete junction block plus wiring headaches to run amp & powered speaker) and substitute an antenna close in performance, but with a more low-key presence.

This is the future. Now.

Last edited:

KD8DVR

Premium Subscriber
The Thomas AM/FM was released before the Bill. The Harisson is expected to hit dealers soon. It has the new Noise Reduction circuitry.

slowmover

The Thomas AM/FM was released before the Bill. The Harisson is expected to hit dealers soon. It has the new Noise Reduction circuitry.

4W with AM/FM, but no SSB.

NRC is great to see, agreed.

Low price (relatively) and small chassis make it a niche item, not general purpose (no SSB).

A Randy with NRC would be closer to the extent it’s a handheld and will function well for Fly-n-Drive despite lack of SSB as its shirtpocket portability makes it an excellent second radio.

Harrison II is the type you mount in Ag or Mining equipment where it’s almost always direct LOS to coordinate inter-vehicle comms at a jobsite.

— The yard dog (trailer spotter) at a distribution center with (600) trailers.

— A day cab running shuttles of loaded/empty trailers from a shipper back/forth across town to the carriers terminal. And may need to coordinate with inbound OTR drivers looking for a particular load.

—Or, where it’s feasible that off-property inquiries on how to enter said property exist. A step up from the really cheap radios for the scale house weighmaster and a good antenna is installed.

— One gets to a shipper or receiver and is told to Monitor Ch. 26 for a door assignment. Staging area remote from guard shack.

— The savvy permanent employee using scanner & local media for potential delays to re-route trucks inbound.

Have seen all these uses. This would be a great step up from the bottom end stuff, or the now-lousy Cobra 29.

I’ve stood at the office counter awaiting paperwork or an inspection and listened to good/bad radio rigs. Some have been impressive (family-owned firms).

With a decent little power supply and all of it on a rack, an amplified MFJ Cleartone speaker would make it a kicktail desk rig given the antenna & coax system had place of importance.

I’ve had those desk employees ask idling truck drivers on air if anyone’s gottem a linyur can reach out and relay a BOL number to a driver already departed (pre cell phone era).

Radiomender

Will I get completely eaten alive here if I dare refer to modern President radios as "ham grade CB radios," or will you be able to see where I'm coming from when I say it and appreciate my point? LOL

Anyone here own any of the modern President mobiles?

Not had much experience with US CB equipment but here in the UK, CB sets generally are pretty awefull.
one exception was an Icom Mobile (cannot remember the model No.) built to the CB27/81 FM specification. it was far better than anything else on the market at the time.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
Well I bit the bullet on the anytone for the truck. My Stryker 955 is great and it is almost the same radio. The Lincoln II audio just never sounded good to me or good to anyone I was talking to.

Status
Not open for further replies.