• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PRESIDENT Washington

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
I figure this is ultimate given specs released:

IMG_5351.jpeg

Whatever George 2 does, this ups the game.

Maybe look at it as the Lincoln 2+ replacement (2012 introduction)? The G2 has SSB performance the L2+ doesn’t achieve . . even though, in turn, it’s MUCH better than the older mobile radios. The L2+ has long been favored for mobile on Sideband for Eleven Meter Skip.

Lincoln 2 is known fondly as, HAM Radio, Jr.

In reading the new W manual I can’t see where a mobile can be improved past this, overall.

Ones’ vehicle is both his horse and his family Conestoga given a trailer attached. Hard to see where highway HF for Joe Average is bettered.

As Decoration Day is upon us (Memorial Day):

Discipline includes communication best practice.

IMG_5353.jpeg

Microphone choices include hands-free BT to steering wheel.

— A suggestion seen elsewhere (Captain Kilowatt) involves wiring up a lapel mic and using a foot switch a la’ surveillance practice.

— A cordless Liberty (discontinued) if can be sourced.

— A Uniden BC-645 if up/down mic buttons are not wanted (slightly larger to fit hand more easily).

— PA speaker underhood helps solve immediate traffic snarls.

— DRX-901 speaker (as always).

A Randy 2 or 3 to serve as back-up and to move about on foot; with a selection of several antennas for each radio to optimize performance.

Other radio services as desired.

The pleasure of operating one of the modern NRC radios can’t be overstated. The confidence felt before reaching for the mic that he’ll both Hear, and Get Heard is payment, alone.

An 83” Texas 1800 (discontinued) is model of what’s wanted for peak performance. Height is Might.

IMG_5231.jpeg

The many other features those familiar with them? Weigh in, please. What was the benchmark performance to best?

And I’m not speaking of running an ft-891, 857 or ft-450 with a bugcatcher or screwdriver antenna.

This radios capabilities maybe it’s fair to say ought to whet the appetite for amateur operator status.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
There’s overlap, obviously, between these two:

Per spec the W weighs a half-pound more than the G.

Some options & adaptations posted in older thread that would work with both.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Pres G2 FCC seems to have settled in at $280, and Lincoln 2+ has been at $299 awhile, so my guess is that W-FCC will be at $330.

Import from EU (today; extra-early) would be at $540, but with features that won’t be on FCC version.

A few months till prices settle out.

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
What features would be left out of the Washington, if offered in the U.S. ? It would be marketed as an amateur radio, so I would expect it to be the same as offered outside of the U.S. There would not be any TX power restrictions, so what do you expect or know to be different for sales in the U.S.?

jcrmadden

40mm fans used to be standard fare on computers. Most are much bigger now, but I checked newegg.com and sure enough there are several options.

Here's a link to the fan referenced in that article:
Are you a human?

There are also fan controllers that match fan speed to temperature. There's probably a way to integrate CPU coolers which would open up all kinds of options.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
It will be interesting to see if there is a A/B comparison between the Washington and Q5nii/QT60.

There are reviewers who’ve done so with Q5 & G2.

The latter gets higher marks given an antenna system that can qualify this (base station).

It’s not much.

As I started the Wash thread I indicated this difference is the last percent points for those for whom want this.

Look to features, instead.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Seen one furrin website that had Washington priced pre-order about 12% higher than George 2.

Here, that’d be $330 vs $280. While I doubt it’ll work this way, that’d be a real savings over adding a minimal amp.

Adding a quiet fan kit (if not dealer-addition which would be smart on their part), would take it up an appropriate amount. “Correct Price”.

It’s in paying for conversion — plus in checks against defect and (say) modulation taken up — that’ll be the price gap, as the G2 doesn’t need conversion.

I’d buy a Digi-Mic for either, so that’s a wash.

G2 winds up near $400 with amp + mic.

Wash may be $450 with mic + conversion with fan addition a question-mark of additional cost.

As Stryker 955 is a $450 radio, I’ll look at that as being the representative high.

Wash + fans + conversion at about the same to stay competitive as power output is similar. (Wouldn’t need frequency expansion as below).

I’d budget $500 to have covered radio + D-Mic + conversion. Sales tax + Shipping + Insurance additional.

Since it can take awhile for inflation to have adjusted in our minds, consider this to have been a $375 radio acquisition cost ten years back.

That’s pretty much what I paid retail for a Galaxy DX-99V2 + modified A636L + align/tune in 2014. A nice radio still today fully operable and used almost full-time thru 2020.

IMG_4124.jpeg

Above this point was where one paid for add-on amps (DX-98VHP Fire Starter as they weren’t xtra-reliable).

The $200 WEST MOUNTAIN CLEARSPEECH DSP speaker made it a $600 radio rig.

So, while price is comparable the improved performance and features more than justify the same price, overall.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Coax

As the idea with this radio is best performance possible circa 2024 then an additional $200 (approximate, as mobile vs base, etc, factors) for the complete coax system is a budget number. RF Choke/Filter at both ends, LM240UF, AMPHENOL connectors, Blue Stripe ANCOR split loom & zip ties, etc, etc.

11M only, then one may desire to use a BandPass Filter ($80-160) to reduce front end receiver load.

Power

ANCOR Marine Grade wiring slightly oversized plus more Blue Stripe, crimped ends, MBRP fuse, etc.

$100 all in if KENWOOD KLF-2 included plus a distribution panel.

Extension Speaker

DRIVER EXTREME DRX-901 @ $55.
Add a couple of ferrites either end of audio cable.

Antenna

A low-key appearance, commercial-quality permanent LARSEN NMO34b base + WD640b whip + spring-b at roof-center, w/coax upgrade — and use of a NANO-VNA to check all components as the final piece — would mean performance superior to the day just passed that it wasn’t available without prohibitive expense.

Tallest possible antenna = best performance. Use of a coil base to reach 7’ (closest) to mimic what a 108” whip could do.

— Now, some RF Bonds, better DC Grounds, tracing & quieting noise sources, etc.

Have we hit $700? This end of things is more important than the radio chosen.

Summary:

Best approach to a complete high performance radio rig is via antenna + coax & power systems first . . and radio last.

Radio not installed until coax & power made ideal.

Look at it this way: The hard part is the labor to install these plus antenna to get it right. No one else will be as painstaking. The time spent in research and asking question. And so forth.

Using one’s current radio the benefits of these is highlighted.
Other men ignore this aspect and despite their expensive radio, have poor performance. Systems are, “what is performance?”

Mobile Amateur Radio Installation Guide

This level of things isn’t plug & play.
Deserves study.

The top dog radio is then the reward.
What pulls it together.

Waiting on the shelf in an unopened box.
As it’s desirable it’s never to be under the strain of inferior systems.

Last edited: