Priority with trunking ROCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landman

I love the way GRE changed how using priority with a Motorola trunked system works in one of the recent upgrades. Apparently the priority function is now decoding the subaudible data that accompanies each voice transmission and looks for active priority talkgroups in that data. I am monitoring a large multi agency Moto type II 800 MHz system. I have the main dispatch talkgroups and SWAT talkgroups for each agency as well as the fireground talkgroups all set for priority. Now when the scanner is stopped on a lic. plate running channel or talk channel or whatever the scanner will interrupt them in mid sentence and immediately jump to the main dispatch channel when a call is dispatched. I used to lock out the talk and info channels and others when the system was busy or put them in favorites, but not any more. Now I can scan everything and not miss the calls being dispatched. I have the priority interval set at the lowest setting it would allow, .2 seconds. I also have "priority interrupts talkgroup" set to yes. Thanks GRE, I love it this way. Please incorporate this type of trunking priority into your future models. The only thing I would change is allowing the scanner to check priority talkgroups even when in Manual hold or pause. I tried doing it this way when I first got the scanner but priority would not work with the system I monitor. In one of the recent upgrades I saw the notes about improvements in the way priority works with trunked systems. I gave it a try tonight and it ROCKS!

gd9704

Between excellent features like the one you describe and their continual upgrading of CPU firmware, I couldn't be happier with my 500. Grecom rocks!!!

FJB2022

Premium Subscriber
For some reason my PSR 500 wont do anything when priority is enabled. Im scanning a Motorola type 2 system with a few talkgroups enabled as priority and the newest firmware upgrade, I have priority on when scanning and priority interrupts talkgroups on but nothing is happening. What am I missing?

jjrii

Premium Subscriber
For some reason my PSR 500 wont do anything when priority is enabled. Im scanning a Motorola type 2 system with a few talkgroups enabled as priority and the newest firmware upgrade, I have priority on when scanning and priority interrupts talkgroups on but nothing is happening. What am I missing?

I have the same issue.....

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Your trunking system isn't set up for priority. Nothing you can do.

wlmr

Is GRE looking into adding the capability to do Priority with 9600 P25 systems?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I don't think that's an option... As I recall, priority per radio is set at the trunking controller and not on the low-speed data side. I may be wrong though.

wlmr

I don't think that's an option... As I recall, priority per radio is set at the trunking controller and not on the low-speed data side. I may be wrong though.

You're partially correct. :) It does have to be set up in the trunking system. When a talkgroup is a "priority talkgroup" it is included as additional data on the 9600 P25 digital voice channels.

kevins669

Database Admin
You're partially correct. :) It does have to be set up in the trunking system. When a talkgroup is a "priority talkgroup" it is included as additional data on the 9600 P25 digital voice channels.

It is working on a 9600 P25 system here...

-- Kevin

DonS

...only when the scanner goes back to the CC between "transmissions". While on a P25 CAI VC, the PSR-500/600 won't look for "priority talkgroups".

The scanner only looks for priority talkgroups, while on a VC, for LTR systems and analog VCs in Mot 3600 systems. Those are the only VC types where the scanner is receiving/decoding other talkgroup data as well as receving/playing voice.

wlmr

-- Kevin

I understood it wouldn't/couldn't! Good news! Just to verify, what/whose system are you referring to?

edit:
Whoops, just saw the post from DonS. Back to waiting!

kevins669

Database Admin
...only when the scanner goes back to the CC between "transmissions". While on a P25 CAI VC, the PSR-500/600 won't look for "priority talkgroups".

The scanner only looks for priority talkgroups, while on a VC, for LTR systems and analog VCs in Mot 3600 systems. Those are the only VC types where the scanner is receiving/decoding other talkgroup data as well as receving/playing voice.

It may be my imagination, or it may be because this is a simulcast system, and the radio may lose signal in the middle of a transmission, thus triggering the priority tg, if active.

I definitely know that the priority TG i have been testing this on (for a while now) has gone active when a non-priority TG was "interrupted." I will try to nail down why I have seen this by using some other tools, and using a radio on the system...

-- Kevin

wlmr

Shucks, back to waiting. Wonder if the scanner manufacturers will react to "kid logic" better than parents do. Here goes my attempt (spoken in a whiney, nasally, begging voice)!

But GRE and Uniden, the big kids all get to do it, why can we?

DonS

It may be my imagination, or it may be because this is a simulcast system, and the radio may lose signal in the middle of a transmission, thus triggering the priority tg, if active.

I definitely know that the priority TG i have been testing this on (for a while now) has gone active when a non-priority TG was "interrupted." I will try to nail down why I have seen this by using some other tools, and using a radio on the system...
When you see a Priority TGRP interrupt a non-Priority TGRP, see if the 'T' icon has flashed briefly. If it has (even if it's so fast you have a hard time seeing it), the scanner went back to the CC.

The "ultimate" test would be to watch/capture the "CC Dump" output when this happens. If you see a CC message from the PC/IF port, the scanner went back to the CC.

I know for a fact that the PSR-500/600 will NOT retrieve talkgroup ID information from a P25 CAI VC.

kevins669

Database Admin
When you see a Priority TGRP interrupt a non-Priority TGRP, see if the 'T' icon has flashed briefly. If it has (even if it's so fast you have a hard time seeing it), the scanner went back to the CC.

The "ultimate" test would be to watch/capture the "CC Dump" output when this happens. If you see a CC message from the PC/IF port, the scanner went back to the CC.

As I suspect from the previous post, that must be what occurred... That "ultimate" test would be a pain for those with one radio, trying to nail down the exact time... I will try it with the other radio hooked up, too.

I know for a fact that the PSR-500/600 will NOT retrieve talkgroup ID information from a P25 CAI VC.

You are such a genius :)

DonS

As I suspect from the previous post, that must be what occurred... That "ultimate" test would be a pain for those with one radio, trying to nail down the exact time... I will try it with the other radio hooked up, too.
Actually, it's not much of a pain if you have a Windows PC near the scanner:
1. connect programming cable to PC and scanner
2. start HyperTerm, using COM port assigned to cable
3. in FUNC GLOB menu, make sure "CC Dump" is turned on
4. watch HyperTerm, watch scanner display, listen to scanner

In #4, if you see/hear a "priority talkgroup" hit on the scanner, see if you also note a corresponding message in HyperTerm.
You are such a genius :)
Not too much "genius" involved... I just know more about the PSR-500/600's operation than anyone else on the planet ;)

wlmr

If Uniden ever needs to test this capability in a future radio, I know where to listen!

kevins669

Database Admin
Actually, it's not much of a pain if you have a Windows PC near the scanner:
1. connect programming cable to PC and scanner
2. start HyperTerm, using COM port assigned to cable
3. in FUNC GLOB menu, make sure "CC Dump" is turned on
4. watch HyperTerm, watch scanner display, listen to scanner

In #4, if you see/hear a "priority talkgroup" hit on the scanner, see if you also note a corresponding message in HyperTerm.

Not too much "genius" involved... I just know more about the PSR-500/600's operation than anyone else on the planet ;)

I guess I deleted god and inserted genius a little too quickly.

-- Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.