Pro 106

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariefrench

I have been enjoying my Pro 106 scanner for almost a year. I am sure there are more features on this scanner that Im not aware of. I live in Maryland and Baltimore County has recently switched to digital. My scanner is digital, but some reason, I am not picking up anything now. I tried to reset the scanner but nothing has changed. It is very frustrating to TRY to read the manual, especially when you have NO patience for it. Also, when I had an analog scanner, I was able to hear ambo calls to the receiving hospital, but now since I have the digital, I am not able to hear them. Is there something I need to program into the scanner to hear these calls.

I have been enjoying my Pro 106 scanner for almost a year. I am sure there are more features on this scanner that Im not aware of. I live in Maryland and Baltimore County has recently switched to digital. My scanner is digital, but some reason, I am not picking up anything now. I tried to reset the scanner but nothing has changed. It is very frustrating to TRY to read the manual, especially when you have NO patience for it. Also, when I had an analog scanner, I was able to hear ambo calls to the receiving hospital, but now since I have the digital, I am not able to hear them. Is there something I need to program into the scanner to hear these calls.

You need to set your scanner to P25 auto since it has moved to APCO 25 and put in the control channels which are in red and blue and no other frequencies. Then you need to assign talkgroups and give them alpha tags. The Pro 106 does do a lot.

The best thing is to get software and program it. You can do it by hand which I do for my Pro 106 but it takes time and patience but to me it's rewarding. If the ambulance to hospital are still analog all you have to do is
1.)Press PGM
2.)Press F1/NEW Key
3.)Press F2/CONV key
4.)Press The SEL key to make sure an asterisk (*) is next to Scan Lists: *01
5.)Press the down arrow key and put whatever freq:xxx.xxxx
6.)Press the down arrow key to Tag:Channel and give it a name
7.)Press down to Sq Mode:Search, keep it like that
8.)Press down arrow key LED Color: Press the right arrow key 1-7 to choose a color
9.)press F1/Save Key
10.)Press the Scan button. If it says nothing enable press the #1 key.

So yes the Pro 106 can do quite a bit of things you want. You can put your name in there, protect with a password so no one else can change things. etc..

mariefrench

Thank you so much for your reply. Of course I still can not get the police calls. I have been told that I would have to get new software to re-program my scanner.(but it will not be available until March) Does that sound right to you? When I first bought my scanner, I didn't have to program any police precincts, they were automatically in there. I know they're still in the process of switching over to digital. I have been able to get some EMS calls on there. (with your directions) I am NOT very good with programming anything, must less this scanner. Im hoping I can find someone that really knows what their doing to program it for me so I don't mess anything up.

Thank you so much for your reply. Of course I still can not get the police calls. I have been told that I would have to get new software to re-program my scanner.(but it will not be available until March) Does that sound right to you? When I first bought my scanner, I didn't have to program any police precincts, they were automatically in there. I know they're still in the process of switching over to digital. I have been able to get some EMS calls on there. (with your directions) I am NOT very good with programming anything, must less this scanner. Im hoping I can find someone that really knows what their doing to program it for me so I don't mess anything up.
Check the Maryland forum. They should be able to help you. As for new software they may just be talking about such as ARC 500 WIN 500 which you can find on here. Category:Software Applications - The RadioReference Wiki

Maryland Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

rwier

You need to set your scanner to P25 auto since it has moved to APCO 25 and put in the control channels which are in red and blue and no other frequencies. Then you need to assign talkgroups and give them alpha tags. The Pro 106 does do a lot.

The best thing is to get software and program it. You can do it by hand which I do for my Pro 106 but it takes time and patience but to me it's rewarding. If the ambulance to hospital are still analog all you have to do is
1.)Press PGM
2.)Press F1/NEW Key
3.)Press F2/CONV key
8.)Press down arrow key LED Color: Press the right arrow key 1-7 to choose a color
9.)press F1/Save Key

So yes the Pro 106 can do quite a bit of things you want. You can put your name in there, protect with a password so no one else can change things. etc..

I don't have that radio and I do all my programming with software, but if I ever change my ways, you're the guy I'm gonna ask the questions to, lol. Precise, step-by-step, nice!

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Without a premium RR acct. you may want to try the ARC trial first... It will allow you 2 free downloads from the RR database, to ease the programming process.

mariefrench

Thank you for all the info. If I would have known about this thread before, maybe I would be more knowledgable about my scanner. Im just trying to figure out the correct way to program it so I don't mess anything up. Thanks so much OsloViking! The step by step is exactly what I needed in order to understand how to program the scanner!

840quadra

I had no idea that you only had to put in the red and blue frequencies for the Pro 106. In P25 Auto, am I causing more problems by inputting all of the frequencies on my pro 106?

So far it is doing fine listening the the Twin Cities AMER P25 system, however it does appear to have minor problems with locking into some P25 discussions at times.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
No, the 106 will find the control channel no matter how many freqs you input.

Your problem is caused by simulcast distortion. The scanner is receiving 2 towers at the same time and having issues figuring out which one to listen to.

840quadra

Understood,

I will play around with the different areas that are within range of my home. Perhaps setting up a couple scan lists for just here will be helpful.

I did notice that my work in Ramsey county did have some issues with frequencies within that area, when I set it to scan the frequencies listed in Minneapolis City Center, my results were better strangely. I will see if I have similar results here.

Thanks for the input.

No, the 106 will find the control channel no matter how many freqs you input.

Your problem is caused by simulcast distortion. The scanner is receiving 2 towers at the same time and having issues figuring out which one to listen to.

That you are correct sir on both.

Thank you for all the info. If I would have known about this thread before, maybe I would be more knowledgable about my scanner. Im just trying to figure out the correct way to program it so I don't mess anything up. Thanks so much OsloViking! The step by step is exactly what I needed in order to understand how to program the scanner!

No problem.

I had no idea that you only had to put in the red and blue frequencies for the Pro 106. In P25 Auto, am I causing more problems by inputting all of the frequencies on my pro 106?

So far it is doing fine listening the the Twin Cities AMER P25 system, however it does appear to have minor problems with locking into some P25 discussions at times.

You can put them all in and set it to P25 and it will find the control channels. You can even set the pro 106 to show which control channel is being used for that day since some rotate on a daily bases.

The letters CC will show up. To turn it on simply
1.)Press PGM
2.)Press F3/GLOBAL key
3.)Press the down arrow key until you get to where it says ShowCCInfo: Press the right arrow key to switch to yes
4.)Press the F1/Save Key and press the scan button again.
Once it stops on a frequencies it shouls show something like this for example CC01 868.98750 then it will show the voice channel also.

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Understood,

I will play around with the different areas that are within range of my home. Perhaps setting up a couple scan lists for just here will be helpful.

I did notice that my work in Ramsey county did have some issues with frequencies within that area, when I set it to scan the frequencies listed in Minneapolis City Center, my results were better strangely. I will see if I have similar results here.

Thanks for the input.

As for moving it around in your home, that can work wonders. Also, if that doesn't work for you try a less "powerful" antenna (If you are using a RS800, switch to the stock and see if that helps) And lastly, if it's bugging you a lot, you can buy a 800mhz Yagi and aim it at one tower. (A directional antenna will eliminate the signal from the other tower)

I set it to scan the frequencies listed in Minneapolis City Center, my results were better strangely

This is because MPLS City Center CC is one powerful signal from one tower, not multiple towers causing confusion for your 106.

840quadra

Again thanks for the info. Trying different antennas sounds like a good option too. I can try the stock rubber antenna again too. No YAGI at home yet, but I had been considering one.

And my apologies to the original poster for essentially hijacking their thread.

wtynes

1.)Press PGM
2.)Press F1/NEW Key
3.)Press F2/CONV key
9.)press F1/Save Key

I have a Pro 106 and just programmed it 2 weeks ago. I live in bham, ala where they have the motorla system. Do I only need to program the red and blue control frequencies or all the ones listed. The entire list has about 40 frequencies and i think it only lets me put in 32. Is this correct? When listening to someone talking, it will cut out for about 1 second like it's trying to find another frequency. Do you know if this is a problem with the scanner, with the programming, or Is this just part of digital scanning? No one at Radio Shack seems to know anything about them.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I have a Pro 106 and just programmed it 2 weeks ago. I live in bham, ala where they have the motorla system. Do I only need to program the red and blue control frequencies or all the ones listed. The entire list has about 40 frequencies and i think it only lets me put in 32. Is this correct? When listening to someone talking, it will cut out for about 1 second like it's trying to find another frequency. Do you know if this is a problem with the scanner, with the programming, or Is this just part of digital scanning? No one at Radio Shack seems to know anything about them.

You only have to put in the red and blue.

How does it cut out? Garbles/cuts out? or just silence for a second then back again?

wtynes

Did more reading and realized I did just need the red and blue channels so I deleted the others.
It's just silence for about a second or less. It's just enough so you miss something you want to hear. Do you know what this would be?

Another question - it says to use an AC adapter with at least 500mA. Radio Shack had a 300 and 800 so I tried the 800 and it didn't work, but the 300 did. Is the 300 ok? Seems like RS would have a 500.

Thanks.

N1BHH

The higher the current rating the better. The lower current won't adequately power the radio. I tend not to use any wall wart or any external power with any of my scanners. The battery life will be compromised. That's why it is a good idea top get several sets of batteries and a quality charger.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
It's just silence for about a second or less. It's just enough so you miss something you want to hear. Do you know what this would be?
Thanks.

The most likely thing is that you have enabled "Priority Mode" So it is checking the channels/talk groups that you have marked as a priority. This would cause it to go silent every 2 seconds or so. If it's this, just press the "Pri" button and it will stop.

Another possibility is "Weather Priority" is enabled... It would flash "WX PRIO CHECK" on the screen during the silence if this is the problem.
To fix this: Press the WX button. You will see "Wx7" if priority mode is off and "Wx7-P" if priority mode is on, the number may vary depending on which channel you are on. Use the up and down button to scroll trough the channels. To toggle priority mode off or on for a specific frequency press the PRI button.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.