pro 163

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
i guess columbus ohio the system i have is a radio shack pro 163
Check the Franklin County database page: Franklin County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

It appears that Columbus is on this system:
Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) Trunking System, Various, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Some of the other agencies in the county are using this one:
Central Ohio Interoperable Radio System (COIRS) Trunking System, Delaware, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies

Unfortunately, both of those systems are P25 Phase I (digital) systems. Your scanner, the Pro-163, is not capable of receiving digital transmissions. It cannot track the systems, and if you entered the frequencies manually, the digital transmissions would sound like static, or a hissing, noise.

There are some conventional channels listed, but many of them are tagged as depreciated (no longer in use). Some of the others might only be used as backups for the trunked systems. In order to hear those two systems, you would need to upgrade to a digital scanner.

trp2525

well looks like i got an expencive door stopper

As a suggestion you could try selling your PRO-163 in the RR classifieds, on eBay or on Craigslist and then put that money towards a new digital scanner that will work for you in your area. If you purchase a P25 phase II scanner it will help to future-proof your purchase.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
You can buy a P25 Phase 1 scanner now but you are stuck with only a P25 Phase 1 scanner.
#1 I would buy a Whistler WS1090 WS1098 for P1 P2 DMR or a TRX-2 if P1 P2 DMR NXDN is needed
#2 I would buy a Uniden Home Patrol 2 P1 and P2 or a BCD996P2 and BDC536HP P1 P2 and DMR

zyberman66

yeah but just like the pro i got i paid 299.00 new now 2 yrs later it not worth a plug nickel and didnt even give me time to figure out the trunking

trp2525

yeah but just like the pro i got i paid 299.00 new now 2 yrs later it not worth a plug nickel and didnt even give me time to figure out the trunking

It all depends on where you live and what type of radio systems are being used in your area. I am still using an RCA 16S400 crystal scanner (40+ years old from the mid 1970s) and a Uniden Bearcat BC950XLT scanner with analog PL (30+ years old from the mid 1980s) and they both allow me to monitor my local public-safety agencies and businesses that are still using conventional analog radios. I also use newer scanners to monitor analog trunking, P25 conventional, P25 trunking and DMR as some of my local public-safety agencies and businesses have migrated to those newer radio systems over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.