PRO-46 sudden malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampulman

I have a PRO-46 that mostly sits in a drawer.

Since the audio is so good, I use it occasionally to 'camp-on' an analog frequency, while scanning elsewhere with my primary unit.

Recently, I turned it on. It scans the few channels that are programmed, but will not stop on any (not even wx). The frequncies are typically busy.

Opening squelch gives the typical 'rush' sound.

I've tried different antennas, but no difference.

Does it sound likely that a component would suddenly go bad, or a circuit suddenly open, just sitting in a drawer? Any likely things I could check?

Thanks.

Amp

N8IAA

I have a PRO-46 that mostly sits in a drawer. Since the audio is so good, I use it occasionally to 'camp-on' an analog frequency, while scanning elsewhere with my primary unit.Recently, I turned it on. It scans the few channels that are programmed, but will not stop on any (not even wx). The frequncies are typically busy.Opening squelch gives the typical 'rush' sound. I've tried different antennas, but no difference.
Does it sound likely that a component would suddenly go bad, or a circuit suddenly open, just sitting in a drawer? Any likely things I could check?Thanks.Amp

Have you tried listening in the manual mode? Can you hear the WX channels in the manual mode? Have you checked the battery compartment to make sure that the batteries aren't leaking and corroded the contacts. And, yes, components in older electronics can go bad with age. Not saying that is the problem. I have a BC100 that does the same. It needs some repair, but I don't want to spend the money on it.
Larry

ampulman

Yes, I've tried it scanning programmed channels as well as wx scan and manually entering frequencies. Nothing works.

Amp

N8IAA

Amp, I hate to say this, but it might be time to get a newer conventional scanner. It costs $20 plus shipping to get your scanner looked at by RS repair depot. Probably $30 well spent towards a new scanner.
Larry

ampulman

Amp, I hate to say this, but it might be time to get a newer conventional scanner. It costs $20 plus shipping to get your scanner looked at by RS repair depot. Probably $30 well spent towards a new scanner.
Larry

We're good here. Do my listening with a 396T.

N8IAA

We're good here. Do my listening with a 396T.
Well. it's almost garage sale time in the north:) Been doing it here in the south for a couple of weeks. Never know what you'll find. Found a Pro-25 with noise cancelling headphones for $25. The headphones are worth more than the radio:D The radio was bought to use at the NASCAR race and used once.
Larry

ampulman

Well, since the radio was dead, I decided to open it up and see what's doing inside.

Took a paper clip, straightened it out and touched the wire leading from the antenna socket--no joy. Looked over the caps for any bulging--negative. Likewise, any loose connections.

Rubbed a few of the components, then decided to put it back together. As I tightened the last screw, it suddenly came to life.

We're good to go.

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.