Problem with San Antonio Airwave-Northeast LTR

djmorgan

I have two scanners that receive a number of SA LTR sites just fine. However, Airwaves Northeast (Queens Crown) is listed as LTR in the database and I have confirmed the LCN and frequency entries. However, neither scanner ever stops on any transmissions. I know there is activity on at least one frequency (464.975 in this case) as I can hear clear audio listening on SDR# or just holding my scanner on the physical frequency in the list for that site. I tried using the SDS100 LCN finder and it sees activity on that frequency (as evidenced by an RSSI) but it doesn't show an LCN's found. The The audio is strong and clear and I am hearing voice conversations every few seconds. Any ideas? Last update on RR was 2018...could they have changed to a system I can't monitor?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have two scanners that receive a number of SA LTR sites just fine. However, Airwaves Northeast (Queens Crown) is listed as LTR in the database and I have confirmed the LCN and frequency entries. However, neither scanner ever stops on any transmissions. I know there is activity on at least one frequency (464.975 in this case) as I can hear clear audio listening on SDR# or just holding my scanner on the physical frequency in the list for that site. I tried using the SDS100 LCN finder and it sees activity on that frequency (as evidenced by an RSSI) but it doesn't show an LCN's found. The The audio is strong and clear and I am hearing voice conversations every few seconds. Any ideas? Last update on RR was 2018...could they have changed to a system I can't monitor?
There's several possibilities for this.

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area, not San Antonio. But here in my area, many of the listed LTR systems are no longer on the iar; at least, not as an LTR format. A number of them have updated their license to add DMR (MotoTRBO) or NXDN, and are now using one of those.

For the Airwave system, license WPEK570, they have added DMR & NXDN emission codes.
1693505874676.png
The 4Kxxxxx codes are for NXDN, the 7K60FXW is DMR.

You say that the scanner is not finding any of the LCNs, but if programmed manually, you are hearing occasional transmissions. But remember that you are in a large metro area (as I am as well). Those business band frequencies are usually licensed to more than one entity, not exclusive to the system you are looking at.

For the first frequency in the site, 463.6000, I see 6 other users licensed for that frequency,
1693506287664.png

So, while you may be hearing 'something', it may not be from the system you are expecting. Try programming the frequencies as conventional channels, with audio set to Digital Only. See if you hear anything. If you have the DMR upgrade, you might hear traffic, along with seeing a Color Code. Similarly, if you have the NXDN upgrade, you might hear transmissions using that format. If you have neither, you would hear a strong static noise, or buzzing.

If you have the DMR upgrade, I would suggest programming it as as DMR system, without LCNs. You can set the color code to search for each frequency, But you could also try System Status on this "dummy" DMR system. That's under the Analyze menu option. If it is using DMR, you would see the color code in use, system type, and how many frequencies are in use. (If you let it sit on that screen, it will show a count for each frequency as they become active.) You'd see something like this:
1693507065799.png
This is a known system, but I used it as an example.

djmorgan

Great reply, helpful, thoughful and thorough. I will work through these and see what comes of it. I really appreciate the time you put into this reply.