programmers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Oh god not this again...

Please, let the poor kid get a radio. If he does something stupid then I guess he'll get what's coming.

landonjensen

rescue161 said:
I usually set it up for "Volume Set", but it doesn't look like the HT1000 is capable of that. The only thing I saw was for emergency operation (something that would be of no use to a receive only radio). MDC on GMRS is just plain silly.

what is mdc?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
It's a data protocol that gives the unit ID everytime the radio transmits. The orange button is used to send an emergency packet and depending on how the radio is set up, it can make the radio transmit, go silent, etc. It sounds horrible.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Landon,

Sure you CAN have those freq's in your radio. You CAN use a chainsaw to cut butter with also. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. I would recommend buying a scanner instead - they are much easier to program (you can program and REprogram them yourself any time any where without any additional software required, just your own 10 fingers) and they are much less expensive. Today's handhelds even have a place to put regular alkaline batteries if you need to - try THAT with an HT1000 sometime!

That having been said, if you really really want to have those freq's in your radio in RX only mode, that's fine. No law against it, so long as it's impossible for you to transmit on any frequencies you're not licensed for. If I were a radio programmer I'd have you sign a liability waiver (meaning if you did something stupid I would remain blameless for your actions) and then I'd program your radio, collect my fee and send you on your way. I don't see why some people in here are either requiring you to get letters from the chief or flat out refusing to do it period - that's a bit paranoid if you ask me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
-AZ

vs1988

Landon, what are your exact intentions? I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm more than happy to help you out, but your post history of questions about where to get lightbars, police duty equipment, and now a public safety HT kind of makes me suspicious.

I've personally asked for advice about getting receive-only HT, but that's because I'm an active EMT riding with an agency and could get the letterhead paperwork for it. I decided to just stick to scanners cause you're able to listen to more, and have many more features.

Are you planning on going around with the police equipment and the radio programmed with GMRS freqs and PD rx-only freqs pretending that you're a cop responding to calls? I actually know of a police explorer whacker who does that, cept he hasn't gotten his hands on a real HT yet. If that's not your intention, then I apologize, but all the questions and such made me question what your real intent is.

landonjensen

vs1988 said:
Landon, what are your exact intentions? I'm not trying to be a jerk and I'm more than happy to help you out, but your post history of questions about where to get lightbars, police duty equipment, and now a public safety HT kind of makes me suspicious.

I've personally asked for advice about getting receive-only HT, but that's because I'm an active EMT riding with an agency and could get the letterhead paperwork for it. I decided to just stick to scanners cause you're able to listen to more, and have many more features.

Are you planning on going around with the police equipment and the radio programmed with GMRS freqs and PD rx-only freqs pretending that you're a cop responding to calls? I actually know of a police explorer whacker who does that, cept he hasn't gotten his hands on a real HT yet. If that's not your intention, then I apologize, but all the questions and such made me question what your real intent is.

haha, nope im not a whacker. Wow, there is a guy that does that?!? :roll:

vs1988

landonjensen said:
haha, nope im not a whacker. Wow, there is a guy that does that?!? :roll:

Okay, that's good news. What's your real intent with the lightbar/police gear/radio?

And yes, there is a kid that does that. He wears a scanner on his belt and "answers" it when a call goes out.

landonjensen

vs1988 said:
Okay, that's good news. What's your real intent with the lightbar/police gear/radio?

-lightbar was for my brothers buisness
-im intrested in police stuff
-not the whacker type
[/QUOTE]

vs1988 said:
And yes, there is a kid that does that. He wears a scanner on his belt and "answers" it when a call goes out.
LOL wow...... thats creepy

mancow

Database Admin
Back in the early 90's I was the only kid in my high school senior class that owned a Colt AR-15 SP1. I also had a bendix king EPH599 chock full of everything I could find to program into it.

Did I need either one? No, but I was responsible and treated each with the respect they deserved.

Not everyone is running an agenda. Some just like to have nice things. If he's willing to spend his money on a nice piece of equipment like an HT1000 then I say good for him. He will learn more from the world of professional LMR than he ever will messing with a scanner.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
landonjensen said:
Is there anyone on here that is capable of programming a HT1000 to recieve public safety frequencies as RX only?

There are a few reputable sellers on eBay (check feedback) that offer free programming with the radio. If you obtain your GMRS license (no test required), you can have it programmed for any of the GMRS frequencies, or any of the first 14 FRS channels, and you'll be able to legally talk on all those at the full 4~5 watts! They can also program any channels for your local police/fire, etc. provided they're within the band, and not trunked, or digital, and have them set up with transmit inhibited, so you don't accidentally key up on them. All this is perfectly legal! The HT1000 is a super radio, very rugged, loud, clear audio!

KE7TJK

I understand wanting to use a commercial radio as a glorified scanner; I do it myself.

I have a Motorola MT-1000 programmed with all of the regions fire and police freqs, and have the radio set up to tone alert on one of my countys FD's. I can only scan 8 freqs at a time, with one priority, but with these 8, I can pretty much cover the entire county fire dispatch freqs, and the Sheriff and local PD. I have no transmit freqs programmed at all. Local radio shop even told me they had no problem programming it with receive only.

I did this primarily because I went through several scanners, and all of them either didn't have very good intermod rejection, sensitive receive, or in one area of the city I live in, it was like I didn't have an antenna on the scanner. With the MT-1000, I have none of these problems whatsoever. I even purchased a MVA for my vehicle, turning the MT-1000 into a mobile, hooked up to an external antenna, and an amplified speaker. Works great. I use this radio at work to 'scan', and when I'm on foot, I carry an Icom F33GT set up pretty much the same way as the MT-1000.

Bottom line here is that we all know that commercial radio equipment is superior to any scanner available, and once we've been into the hobby for a few years, we need to step up to the next level. For me, I carried an MT-1000 on a daily basis when I was a firefighter, and got used to its superior receive. Now that I'm retired from the fire service, I have yet to find a scanner that has such good audio, intermod rejection, and all around quality.

I fail to see why Landon can't willingly get someone to program RECEIVE ONLY freqs in any radio he wishes to purchase. There isn't any more liability in this than if he went to radio Shack and bought a scanner, and had them program it for him.

w4rez

I quit carrying handheld scanners many years ago simply because they weren't sturdy enough to hold up to my clumsiness. I have yet to see a scanner that can withstand the abuse like a Ma Motorola HT can, and probably never will.

Furthermore, it gets annoying when you're going about your business and every time you turn around you're running into RFI that breaks squelch, so having better selectivity plus a PL is a pretty big plus. QCII is even better, if it's available and you know the capcode, for those times when you don't wanna hear all the routine noise but you don't want to miss anything.

In short I see nothing wrong with programming the guy's HT with Rx only PS freqs.

This reminds me of something that a fire chief of a small VFD in southern WV tried to tell me many years ago in response to my inquiry about purchasing a pager setup for the VFD's frequency and capcode:

"Oh no you can't do that. It's illegal! That would be considered 'monitoring' and you can't do that unless you're authorized."

CommShrek

Basically guys, the story Landon is laying on all of us is lame. He wants to know about a lightbar but it's for "his brothers catering business" and then he has a general interest in "police stuff" and now he wants a commercial radio but he only wants to listen to it. However, in his WANT AD on this very same forum he says "mic wanted extremly".

I'm no artist but even I can see the picture that junior here is painting for us all.

That's all that myself and a few of the other guys here who can see this picture are trying to explain to the rest of you.

In the "police stuff" business this is what they call a CLUE.

w4rez

CommShrek said:
Basically guys, the story Landon is laying on all of us is lame. He wants to know about a lightbar but it's for "his brothers catering business" and then he has a general interest in "police stuff" and now he wants a commercial radio but he only wants to listen to it. However, in his WANT AD on this very same forum he says "mic wanted extremly".

I'm no artist but even I can see the picture that junior here is painting for us all.

That's all that myself and a few of the other guys here who can see this picture are trying to explain to the rest of you.

In the "police stuff" business this is what they call a CLUE.

I agree that the lightbar/catering business thing is pretty suspect. However the guy has already said that he wanted GMRS freqs programmed as well, which would justify the need for a mic.

In the end I don't think it's any of our jobs to judge this guy. Program his radio within the legal limits of the law and send him on his way, for Christ's sake. If he does something stupid with it that gets himself hurt or arrested, then that's all on him.

When it comes down to it, he *will* find somebody on here, batlabs, radio-programming, or ebay that will program his radio for him, so everybody's wailing and gnashing of teeth will ultimately be in vain, regardless.

KE4ASQ

w4rez said:
I agree that the lightbar/catering business thing is pretty suspect. However the guy has already said that he wanted GMRS freqs programmed as well, which would justify the need for a mic.

In the end I don't think it's any of our jobs to judge this guy. Program his radio within the legal limits of the law and send him on his way, for Christ's sake. If he does something stupid with it that gets himself hurt or arrested, then that's all on him.

When it comes down to it, he *will* find somebody on here, batlabs, radio-programming, or ebay that will program his radio for him, so everybody's wailing and gnashing of teeth will ultimately be in vain, regardless.

My response to that is "My license, My software, MY RULES!!!" as for any less then smart person who wants to do this for him? Have at it and when the defecation hits the oscillator, DON'T SAY WE DIDNT WARN YOU AHEAD OF TIME!!! KE4ASQ

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
What I'm failing to realize is what is so illegal about a radio with GMRS frequencies in it for transmit if he has a license?

What is this "trouble" that he is going to get in with a radio that only has receive police frequencies in it? If he is going to get in trouble with a receive only radio, then you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll do the same with a scanner. Last time I checked, a scanner was a receive only radio.

Bottom line - It is NOT illegal to do what he is requesting to do.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
rescue161 said:
What I'm failing to realize is what is so illegal about a radio with GMRS frequencies in it for transmit if he has a license?

What is this "trouble" that he is going to get in with a radio that only has receive police frequencies in it? If he is going to get in trouble with a receive only radio, then you can bet your bottom dollar that he'll do the same with a scanner. Last time I checked, a scanner was a receive only radio.

Bottom line - It is NOT illegal to do what he is requesting to do.

You are absolutely correct! These other guys are, well...special, secret, you know! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.