Programming BC996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troop04

I'm very eager to start programming my scanner, so it can be more efficient w/ the agencies here in the metro area. I understand that you have to have the primary channels for each agency programmed into the scanner so it can capture all the conversations. The part I am having he hardest part understanding, is how many additional frequencies I need in there. How have you all programmed yours. Do you put each individual agency in it's individual talk-group, and then put the different towers (i.e.: Wcal, farming, avon, etc.) in there own talk-group so you can easily turn them off/on? One of the things I am having the hardest time finding is the State Patrol frequencies. I keep seeing the old VHF frequencies, but having a heck of a time finding the 800 digital ones. Should I bother trying to find them on this site, since they are already programmed into my scanner from when I bought it? Also, I am going to program it with either Uniden's software, or BCtool. I think I might be more inclined to use BCtool, since through my readings on this site, BCtool can download from this site, and its free. If anyone could, knows how, and would be willing to take snapshots of how there's is setup in the computer, and attach it to this post, that would be great. It might give me a better understanding of how this thing is to be set-up. One last thing, I'm a little confused by Uniden's programming sheets with the blocks, band plan A, B, C, base frequency, step frequency, etc. Also, I've see talk about people saying they had gotten the control channels for agencies w/ this whole rebanding deal. Are you getting those by just monitoring the scanner when it's hooked up to the computer, or how is that happening? For the pre-programmed agencies that comes from the manufacturer, do you guys delete them all, or just create a new system in the scanner and start from there? I was noticing that as I was familiarizing myself with the ins and outs of the scanner. Anyways. I know this is long, but I want to make sure I program this thing right.

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you might be towards the st cloud area. If that is the case, the St Cloud State Patrol area is still analog to my knowledge. So those VHF frequencies should be correct.

Troop04

Actually, I am in the south metro. So everything I would need to listen to is in and around the whole metropolitan area. Once I learn to program the system, I'll be adding more frequencies from the Rochester Dist., north to the St. Cloud Dist. and any other local or county agencies w/in there. Been reading a ton today, and starting to get the grasp slightly, but I can see where the prep work takes a long time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

snikliw87

About how the guys find the rebanded freq's: I believe they are all a certain step down or up, so it isn't hard to figure out what the new frequencies would be.

Software: I use FreeSCAN996, which is free software to program your BCD996T. I don't think bctool allows for programming of trunked systems.

It sounds like you have some questions on how to organize your systems? I have each site a different system, with groups in the systems such as State Patrol, Sheriffs Office, ect. Within each group are the appropriate talk groups that can be heard in that site. You can go to MNMetro scan to see what TG's will recieve in what sites.

Hope my little knowledge has helped a little bit!

stmills

The rebanded Frequencies are 15 Mhz below the current Frequencies. 866 becomes 851, 867 becomes 852, 858 becomes 853.

I have my radio set up as follows:
Bank 1 EMS- Each Agency is in a different Bank,Has all Control and Alternate Control Channels
Bank 2 InterOp Frequencies all control and alternate control channels
Bank 3 Hennepin Dispatch Dispatch, Tac, Sheriff, East Cities, North Cities , South Cities Banks - Tower 201,202, 101, 109 control and alternate control channels
Bank 4 Hennepin Independent PSAPs- each city on own bank, Tower 201,202, 101, 109 CC's and Acc's
Bank 5 Minneapolis - MPD, MFD, UMN PD, MCTO PD banks, Tower 109, 101,201 CC's and ACC's
Bank 6 State of Mn MN DPS, MN DNR, Mn DOC, MN DOT Mains, Mn DOt Trucks, MN DOtDepts, PCA, HSEM, banks, All CC's and Acc
Bank 7 Anoka County -Dispatch, Sheriff, Cities Banks,Towers 102, 203, 106,107 ,101,201,202 CC's, Acc's
Bank 8 Carver County Law, Fire, Public Service banks, Towers 104 & 201 & 202 CC's & ACCs
Bank 9 Dakota County Dispatch, Police, Sheriff, Fire Banks, Tower 103, 201 ,101 CC's & Acc's
Bank 19 Ramsey County County dispatch, Sheriff, Local PD, Local FD, St. Paul PD, St. Paul FD, White Bear Lake, Jail, St. Paul Schools, Banks, Towers 203, 101, 201, 109 CCs and Accs.
Bank 11 Scott County - Future dispatch,Mdewak Fire, ScottCo Agencies Banks, Tower 201 CC's and Accs
Bank 12 Hennepin Co Buildings- Courts, HCMC, Work House, Home School, Juve center, Jail, VA PD, Tower 201, 101, 109 CC's and Acc's.

I use BC tools as my main and Unidens software as a backup.

Troop04

Oh, yes. I definitely have questions about organizing all those channels together. I suppose the possibilities are endless for how one would want them organized. I would say this is a lot more in depth than the old VHF stuff. Didn't realize this until I really sat down today to try and attempt to put this all together.

Troop04

Stmills,

Do you know if it is easy to transfer the data you would have saved through BCtool on your computer, and transfer it to another computer? I have a Mac and need to update to the new operating system so I can run windows XP on it, but in the mean time I can use by brothers computer which is a Dell w/ windows on it.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Stmills,

Do you know if it is easy to transfer the data you would have saved through BCtool on your computer, and transfer it to another computer? I have a Mac and need to update to the new operating system so I can run windows XP on it, but in the mean time I can use by brothers computer which is a Dell w/ windows on it.

That should be a matter of just uploading the info to the scanner on one computer and downloading the info on another computer. It would just be a matter installing the program on both computers.

stmills

I have had to switch programming computers recently and as Matt said it worked great to just edit on the old machine , upload to radio and down load files to new pc .
I did this with both Uniden and BC Tools to have archive files of each.

Steve

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I have had to switch programming computers recently and as Matt said it worked great to just edit on the old machine , upload to radio and down load files to new pc .
I did this with both Uniden and BC Tools to have archive files of each.

Steve

That would also be a relatively painless way to get files from one program to another on the same computer if the file formats aren't compatible.

Troop04

Thanks guys for all the replies. I was talking w/ someone I work w/ today about programming the Bearcat (since he has the handheld version: 396T), and after talking w/ him, and reading the replies on this post, it's way more clear now.

stmills

It looks like all the cc listed are the rebanded one except Hennepin 201 which has not rebanded and Dakota 103 which is still on 868.5625.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.