• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming question . MURS

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeonman13

Hello.
I began a search last week looking for radios more powerful than GMRS / FRS.
Someone recommended MURS to be which appear to be covered by some radios that I came accross.
Motorola RDX RDV2020. GOt them at a great price (3 of them).

These are out of the box. How can I program them to be on MURS frequencies?
I know about the cable but where can i Get the software?
Local vendor wants 40 each to program.

Should I expect decent range out of these?

What other options do I have besides MURS? I actually was given 5 UHF radios but you need an FCC license. Called the FCC and they said its gotta be for business use.

Any adivce?

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
$40 each is a bit steep. $25 is more reasonable. You would have to buy the CPS software from Motorola (or, and this will bring on the SAPS, you can find it on the internet) and purchase a cable to program it with.

If you are going to use them on MURS channels, and the radio's are 2 watts max, I really don't think you should have much problem talking on them. The radio's are 2 channel, so if one channel is busy, just switch to Ch 2. There are probably thousands of unlicensed MURS out there, and with the FCC being so spread out and thin in the investigation department, you won't have much problem.

The RDV2020 is actually a VHF radio. The RDU2020 is the UHF version.

Now, it's time for the SAPS to join in.

rescuecomm

The RDV2020 is actually a VHF radio. The RDU2020 is the UHF version.

Now, it's time for the SAPS to join in.

SAPS?? Do you mean the radio police?

Incidently, on the Motorola site, it said the CPS for this radio was available as a free down load. The older Motorola Spirit business radios had preprogrammed channels. I suspect this one does too and the CPS just selects from those.

Bob

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
SAPS - Self Appointed Police Sheriffs! I am no longer handing out badges, now they get the entire police car!

RRPDCAR.jpg

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Incidently, on the Motorola site, it said the CPS for this radio was available as a free down load. The older Motorola Spirit business radios had preprogrammed channels. I suspect this one does too and the CPS just selects from those.

Yep, you can download it for free straight from Motorola, oddly enough. And yes it only lets you select between the pre-programmed frequencies (of which MURS is conspicuously absent), you have to take it to a dealer to have anything else programmed.

K

kb0nly

MURS is a good option... More power, more range.. Some areas it can be pretty crowded. Around here the MURS channels still has licensed users grandfathered in on it, and since they are licensed they can run more power, etc.. Hard to use a channel when its that active with higher power users.

Any channel that is free, since there is only five to work with, usually has nothing but kiddies on it with the cheap MURS radio they got from Radio Shack.

auxscan

Im trying to understand why someone would choose a MURS frequency than a GMRS frequency. MURS is on VHF its a license free on the five frequencies but it is limited to 2 watts thats it, GMRS is on UHF a licensed band with 5 watts allowed and 50 watts allowed on a repeater operation..

UHF perform better in metro areas they go through walls better than VHF thats why most public safety in the USA use the UHF band like chicago PD, old Detroit PD, NYPD etc.

clanusb

Im trying to understand why someone would choose a MURS frequency than a GMRS frequency. MURS is on VHF its a license free on the five frequencies but it is limited to 2 watts thats it, GMRS is on UHF a licensed band with 5 watts allowed and 50 watts allowed on a repeater operation..

UHF perform better in metro areas they go through walls better than VHF thats why most public safety in the USA use the UHF band like chicago PD, old Detroit PD, NYPD etc.

VHF is good for foliage. Plants like to eat UHF signals a lot quicker than VHF. All depends on what your doing.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

Because GMRS requires a license for each non-family individual using it. MURS does not require any license.
For a family, GMRS might be better. For a group of non-related people, GMRS can get expensive.

hockeyshrink

Hey auxscan,

I think it really all depends upon the entirety of factors to be taken into consideration...application (what are you doing on the radio), equipment, terrain, distance needs, as well as operators.

A while back I did some simplex testing from my home setup with mobiles and HTs...MURS (VHF) totally outperformed GMRS (UHF) in this suburban environment. BUT, when you put a repeater in the equation, there is no comparison, assuming the UHF HT can hit the repeater.

In my experience, UHF does work somewhat better in an urban built environment, but as noted by clanusb, foliage in terrain does gobble UHF, making lower freqs preferable in the burbs and beyond. Urban police and fire are using UHF, and CHP still uses VHF low band in the hills. It all depends on how you size up those factors, IMHO.

K

kb0nly

GMRS around here is as useless as FRS. With all the big box stores selling FRS/GMRS radios and everybody using the GMRS channels without getting licensed anyway its a friggin zoo on those frequencies.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the VHF propagation in rural areas and the bubble packs ruining GMRS. One thing not pointed out is MURS is all but dead in many areas. I have been all through central Alabama and north east Mississippi and outside of the metro areas, haven't heard a thing except for Walmart on channel 4. This leaves you with basically your own set of frequencies without any interference.

I also like being able to monitor other VHF frequencies (receive only) with my MURS HT.

auxscan

wow didnt think I would get this many replies to my comment lol, I agree with most of you that MURS would be a better service for short range commuincations. Since MURS is vacant compared to the 3 battery radios on GMRS. But if you want a good source of communication get your GMRs license get a commercial UHF radio and if you can set up a repeater. I believe by FCC rules legal on portable radio 5 watts although ive seen some sabers that put out 6 watts. I think and i may be wrong 15 watts for mobile/base operation and 50 watts allowed on GMRS repeater operation. And its all about elevation.

Posted from my iPhone

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.