Programming Scanners For Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I had my Scanner Programmed with what i put in the 396t before u could download it or had anyway to so i didnt bother with it. its just grouping them is where the problem is. and there are alot of tg's used in the area evertime someone travels from one of the counties or they turn on certain ones from up there. i get summit and utah county alot cache occasinally lifeflight airmed and ucan radio always as well as uhp salt lake county and utah county north and south. grouping them on ford for ford was ok now its harder... i also have downloaded since then the db after transferring the info from the 396t to the xt but the db info as well..

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Besides there are more than the scanner can hold per system the scanner has a limit of tgs and groups per system. it wont put the whole ucan database in one system it cuts off at salt lake county group because Ucan is so extensive. you have to seperate it in 2 to 3 systems just to fit it all...... Plus i had mine a certain way before you could download them and Having Cedar in the Mix just messed it up thats all....

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Yes, the 396 has limitations for huge systems. When I travel to Utah I need to load systems for five states, so to make it all fit I include very few TGs (I can listen to all of them, but I may not know who they are). But the XT, with its enormous memory and multi-site support, should make the job easy for you. Just load all of UCAN with FreeScan and you're done!

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
It used to be easier Enos thats for sure. The unfortunate part about that remark is it's not as complicated as its going to get......UGH!! (and that's no laughing matter!)

Things were much more simple when I lived out near the west desert.....all I had to worry about programming was those channels which told me the semi's being tipped over by the wind coming from Wendover. LOL

I understand your pain!!......Now I live at the junction of two major freeways I-15 and I-84 so there is a larger geographical factor. Each end of those freeways being in a different county/jurisdiction along with 1 end of the four coming from a county our county dispatches for.....

Question is can we take this thread and make contribute enough suggestions to give us something to post on utahradio or in the wiki here to help others.....

Paul

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Tim,

You make it sound oh so easy.....you need to write commercials for these new presidential candidates.....LOL

Either it's me making this harder than it is or you have a better grasp on how this puzzle had it's pieces
cut at the factory........

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Ha ha! How about a 9-9-9 plan for Utah scanning!

Loading UCAN shouldn't be that hard with a 396XT (but I don't have one). The trick is adding all the other relevant systems and assigning quick keys for various areas (or merely selecting the appropriate systems and UCAN sites for a particular area).

As for "suggestions to give us something to post on utahradio or in the wiki here to help others," how about a list of Utah cities with the UCAN sites that can be heard from each city and a brief comment on the amount & type of traffic expected on the sites? Then someone travelling to SLC or Logan could say "okay, I just need to pick sites X, Y, and Z and I'm ready to go." Suggested TG groups for each city would also be helpful (though many are county/city based in the RRDB and should be obvious).

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Tim,

McCain certainly couldn't do any worse at devising a plan than the original engineers did I suppose.....LOL

That is exactly what I had in mind.....I also wanted to add a suggested scanlist/playlist config with downloadable spread sheets with info on them....I'm working on the spreadsheets now but it may take awhile to get them populated with the correct info.....

I had originally envisioned the first being for those traveling......say the I-15 corridor.....but I don't know a single thing about the Southern end of the Wasatch Front or Southern Utah. It appears Enos has some info which would be invaluable to contribute to a project such as I've proposed......

I lack a lot of info to really put it all together since I cannot program my own scanner at the moment.....LOL

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I may have some help but im not familiar with your scanner to help u with that project unless its simular to the 396t and xt scanners with dynamic scanning.... i have info on control channels ucan and the Frequencies for this area but thats about all i can do....

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Enos...do you know the area callsigns, unit id's, fire/ems stations?

Here I'm compiling a list of stuff like that. I've gotten all the locations and callsigns of most fire/ems agencies....Station #'s and am now working on individual units for each station. Working on a list of
"F" Units for Weber Co. and I'm starting to dive into Box Elder County with it's "Charlie" Sheriff Units and Brigham City PD id's.....there is alot to document.......

So what I'd like to know is what organizations are currently on the ucan in so utah and their id's, station locations, mobile command centers for sar and stuff like that.....

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Yes The state Channels are on Ford for carbon County 155.655 pl 173.8 Kob424 And Cedar for Emery County also Kob424 154.920 pl 146.2 all UHP

County channel is for Carbon 155.430 the 1R units are county units 2R units are Price city 3R are Helper 4R units is East Carbon 5R units are Wellington 6R units mostly used to be just fire was for Scofield 7R units are Sunnyside...

1R400 is Hazmat
2R400 is Fire
1R500 is Carbon County Ambulance EMS
1R600 is Search and rescue
1R506 is East Carbon Ambulance since East Carbon and Sunnyside are 30 miles away from Price They have their own Ambulance

Emery Countys is done by area and im not sure on all i only have a few

Area 4 is Ferron
area 8 is Green River

Emery County is all 1S units

1S511 EMS
1S521 EMS
1S541 EMS Ferron

are EMS for the area Specified by the middle # since ferron is area 4 they have 1S541

I will Do More when i get back Tonight

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
**Extending hand to get pulled out of the "trunk" - I'm having difficulty breathing**

I've spent weeks reading posts, trying to get info on trunk scanning, all I get is to track a multi-site trunk network successfully one has to program in all pertinent info for the entire system. And then the scholars say, "The UCAN is too BIG to program the entire system!"

By my own experience it's too big to fit in most scanners but amazingly enough I've gotten it to program into my PRO-107 and it works - slow but it works. Trying to program any other scanner becomes the study in proportion only a person with a PHD should attempt! Scanners for the common people....not anymore!

Seriously, this stuff is coming close to rocket science and I'm no closer to having a configuration that works than when I started on xmas day on my PRO-197's. I've gotten some amazing ideas from all of you but making them happen is yet quite another issue.

So here is the jist of it.....I have Win500 downloaded and my subscription to download db info from rr all in tact. Step 1 open the Win500, Step 2 download the UCAN DB from RR. It downloads three tsys objects. The first with all but four tgid's and 32 ctrl and alt site frequencies. The second with two tgid's and 32 ctrl and alt frequencies. The third with the last two tgid's and approximately 20 frequencies. They automatically number themselves 00000, 00001, 00002. Their Alpha Tags are all identical.

This is where all similarity ends. I can assign all the tgid's in the 00000 tsys to scanlists but if I get farther away from home (Weber County) than Salt Lake City (50 Miles) all the tg's except the four not included in the first tsys go quiet. The "affiliations" become broken and the system ceases to work.

I have spent days programming sites for specific areas of the state logically grouping several sites per county or playlist. Then copying the tgid's into each as they would logically fall only to run out of memory in the scanners long before I get the first three scanlists complete. At first I was in fear of not having enough room in my scanlists to accommodate more than the state's trunk network. Now I fear far worse - having plenty of playlists available but no memory slots available to put anything but the state trunk system.

Can anyone with a PHD throw a fellow enthusiast a life preserver and get me out of trunk hell??

N7YUO

I am presently programming a Pro164 for my daughter's boyfriend. I went into the RRDB and pulled out all new information to make sure everything is current.
When I am finished, I will offer the P97 file to anyone who wants it. PM me with an email.

Next, I will make an new P500 that includes all the new trunked sites UCAN has put up.
Scanlist 0 is programmed with what I call The Priority TGs.
All SWAT, SOPS, Fire, Ops, SAR, Regionals, TAC, Detective, EMS, undercover, etc.

Common/Systemwide channels:
Each scanlist has Event, Landing Zone and others because if you are in Weber County, you want to hear Landing Zone from that site, not SL Simul.

No Wildcards in heavily populated areas!! Do you really want information overload? Save the wildcards for the remote areas.

I do not use multi-site trunking, but I do program multiple sites for some scanlsits.

The scanlists are basically set up by dispatch area.
Salt Lake County Dispatches for Unified, Taylorsville, and Midvale.
Salt Lake City Dispatches it's own.
VECC dispatches for most agencies in SL County, but I include Murray and UHP in this scanlist.
Davis County is one scanlist.
Weber - Box Elder is one scanlist.
Cache -Rich is one scanlist
Interstate 80 is a scanlist that covers sites from Wendover to Medicine Butte (Except SL County)
Utah County is one scanlist.
St George is one scanlist. Also included are many non-trunked freqs for Iron, Millard, and other counties.

There will be a scanlist for SW Utah: Carbon Co, Emery Co, Grand Co, San Juan Co.
There will be a scanlist for Uintas: Duchesne, and Roosevelt area.

This takes a lot of work in what spare time I have, so be patient.

Meanwhile, if you have a P97 or P500 Program that is giving you fits, PM me so we can exchange emails and files. I have examined files before for members and helped them out.

N7YUO

P500 Evaluation

I need to know if this is OK for this forum:

A member of this forum sent me a P500 file. He doesn't get much reception when in Utah.
I would like to post, in text form, a scanlist from this program.

Besides my evaluation, other members can add their comments and suggestions.
Other members who are not from our local area can learn from the evaluations.

Moderators: what is your take on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.