BCD436HP/BCD536HP: ProVoice upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I bought the ProVoice upgrade yesterday, and installed the firmware update (1.10.02). I didn't notice that I also had to install a new version of Sentinel until I had already done the firmware update.

It apparently installed properly, except for the ProVoice upgrade. Of course, now, the new Sentinel version update option says I already have the current firmware version. I understand I could install a previous firmware version, and then reinstall the 1.10.02, but I don't have a .bin file with a previous firmware version.

Any other ideas, or could someone e-mail me an old firmware .bin file? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait for the next firmware update!

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
So we have to update Sentinel, THEN update the firmware?

Where are the directions for all this???

Mike

trunker101

Download the new sentenial, after it's upgraded upgrade your firmware through the (NEW) version 1.6. Go to the website http://info.uniden.com click on my scanners. Then purchase the $50.00 upgrade. It will email you a registration code. Scroll through your menu under settings. Enter the code provided via email. Your scanner will say please wait. It will reboot. A word of advice DO NOT CLICK on the billing info twice if it's slow. It will bill you each time. Also make sure you use the - between each letter and number on the reg code. Good luck happy scanning. Unfortunately there are no systems in the greater Cleveland area that are Provoice. I wanted the feature to merely have the capability if in my travels I happen to pass through an area with the system. If anybody knows of an active system please let me know. I really hope mototrbo isn't another upgrade fee but honestly wouldn't mind paying again that would be a really nice feature to this unit.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I bought the ProVoice upgrade yesterday, and installed the firmware update (1.10.02). I didn't notice that I also had to install a new version of Sentinel until I had already done the firmware update.

It apparently installed properly, except for the ProVoice upgrade. Of course, now, the new Sentinel version update option says I already have the current firmware version. I understand I could install a previous firmware version, and then reinstall the 1.10.02, but I don't have a .bin file with a previous firmware version.

Any other ideas, or could someone e-mail me an old firmware .bin file? Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait for the next firmware update!

Did you look to see in the menu under "Settings" if... "Upgrade"... Upgrade Provoice"..."Input Provoice Key" was there.
If not...PM me with an email address... I'll send you the 1_09_02.bin file. If your not sure how to revert back to this ask...

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
You shouldn't have to update the firmware again if you've done it once. Whether you get the firmware first or the Sentinel update first should not matter.

I would suspect that the Sentinel update is for the Extended Addressing functionality, and has little to do with the actual ProVoice firmware update.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You don't have to update Sentinel and firmware in any particular order.

mitbr

You shouldn't have to update the firmware again if you've done it once. Whether you get the firmware first or the Sentinel update first should not matter.

I would suspect that the Sentinel update is for the Extended Addressing functionality, and has little to do with the actual ProVoice firmware update.

I also believe the latest Sentinel software will allow loading of the provoice talkgroups into the scanner from the data base.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber

That's pretty much the way I seen it... And like Paul (UPMan) said... No particular order either.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Okay, I found the Upgrade menu option and entered the key. The radio says it was successfully upgraded, and IT WORKS! I never saw the part about entering the key into the radio; I thought Uniden knew from reading the radio ESN that I had purchased the upgrade. Thanks so much for your help!

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I found the Upgrade menu option and entered the key. The radio says it was successfully upgraded, and IT WORKS! I never saw the part about entering the key into the radio; I thought Uniden knew from reading the radio ESN that I had purchased the upgrade. Thanks so much for your help!

They have your ESN to more than likely generate a unique key that will only unlock your radio and nobody else's.

wizski

Premium Subscriber
Update Sentinel Software FIRST!!
Install Firmware Update SECOND!!

1) myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area
2) Register your BCD436HP
3) Click on link next to BCD436HP to upgrade Provoice & Pay $49.99
4) Get electronic serial number from information section in the scanner
5) Input the serial number as stated in the webpage above in #1
6) The website link next to BCD436HP and allow you to download the key
7) go to the upgrade menu and input the key into the scanner and hit enter

You should be all set now.....

Wizz

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Update Sentinel Software FIRST!!
Install Firmware Update SECOND!!

Not particularly necessary. You do need to use the updated Sentinel with the most recent firmware, but it doesn't really make any difference which one you install first.

dieciduej

Premium Subscriber
I just received my new BCD436HP and I am trying to install the ProVoice upgrade. I have the latest Sentinel 1.06 (Rev 00), registered my scanner, paid the $50 and received my Key. At this point I am stuck.

I don't see where to enter the Key, if I go to My Downloads at my.uniden.com I don't see anything for the BCD436HP. I have upgraded the firmware via Sentinel expecting to enter the Key to no avail. I am in the greater Boston area so I have the MBTA to give a listen to. Can someone help me on what wrong turn I took. Thanks.

JoeD

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I just received my new BCD436HP and I am trying to install the ProVoice upgrade. I have the latest Sentinel 1.06 (Rev 00), registered my scanner, paid the $50 and received my Key. At this point I am stuck.

I don't see where to enter the Key, if I go to My Downloads at my.uniden.com I don't see anything for the BCD436HP. I have upgraded the firmware via Sentinel expecting to enter the Key to no avail. I am in the greater Boston area so I have the MBTA to give a listen to. Can someone help me on what wrong turn I took. Thanks.

JoeD

From your scanner's menu.....

"Settings"..... "Upgrade"... "Upgrade Provoice"...

Last edited:

dieciduej

Premium Subscriber
From your scanner's menu.....

"Settings"..... "Upgrade"... "Upgrade Provoice"...

Thanks for that info. I followed your procedure and the screen says Input ProVoice Key but the number pad dosen't work, with the exception of 4 and 6 as cursor.

JoeD

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that info. I followed your procedure and the screen says Input ProVoice Key but the number pad dosen't work, with the exception of 4 and 6 as cursor.

JoeD

Rotate the scroll knob to input the characters, same as you would a text tag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.