PSP and Open Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

don333

I will be traveling to Scranton next week from the Baltimore area (I-83 & I-81). I have all of the VHF frequencies programmed, but on my last trip there was very little radio traffic. Have most of the PSP Troops switched to Open Sky? Thanks.

cgm889372

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for out in the Scranton area, but out here in South-Western PA, they haven't switched yet.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Many of the stations covering 81/83 have switched. Some stations periodically switch back to VHF for hours or a day (likely for system maintenence on OpenSky) and field units use VHF whenever they find a deadspot on the new system.

I'd be interested to get a report on what you do hear on your drive.
I was in Harrisburg a couple weeks ago for work and did hear some PSP traffic (unexpected since there was none the last few times I was out there).

mule1075

Feed Provider
here in washington county they are still on vhf.last week i heard dispatch call a car in for open sky radio repair. asked a buddy of mine who is a trooper about it and he said he has not used the open sky radio much at all and does not have a clue when they will be swtiching over here in the washington county area.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The RR database is accurate for PSP in NE PA, from the Scranton area northward to the NY State line. Channels A, C, and G are active in analog FM as are all the car-to-car and TAC channels. If you can, put all of them in your receiver. You'll hear Dunmore, Gibson, Honesdale, and Blooming Grove.

RedPenguin

Well....

My area I don't believe has changed but in Ebensburg, Cambria County, I almost never hear them on it, and if I do it's hard to understand them. But if I'm in Cambria Twp, I can pretty much hear them because their barracks are damn close, but it's nothing ever exciting, one time I heard about somebody about a warrant, but other times, I swear it was just as if the officers/troopers were chatting.

talviar

mule1075 said:
here in washington county they are still on vhf.last week i heard dispatch call a car in for open sky radio repair. asked a buddy of mine who is a trooper about it and he said he has not used the open sky radio much at all and does not have a clue when they will be swtiching over here in the washington county area.

Ask your trooper buddy if he uses his in car computer any. . . .
If he does- tell him he uses opensky everytime he uses the computer. . .

All the PSP in car data between the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) and cars, along with NCIC/CLEAN, along with messaging/email is moving on the opensky system.

Open Sky Radio Repair probably necessary to keep the data flowing. . . . .

Tony

mule1075

Feed Provider
never thought of that but all i asked about was 2 way voice communications.and they must not be using the car computer much because they are still using vhf dispatch for NCIC and Local warrant checks.also they are still running license checks on vhf.i am sure they will switch over at some point.

Steveradio

A lot of stations up that way use CH. C 155.5050 Base and 155.8500 Car like Hazelton, Schuylkill Haven, Frackville. Lehighton. I would monitor that along with CH B used by Swiftwater, FernRidge...

I know Bethlehem & Fogelsville troops have not switched but have radios in the cars and use "Chat" pretty heavy. Almost always catch them on TAC 1 and Mobile to Mobile would be two good ones to have in.

Steve

ctrabs74

Embreeville and Avondale in Chester County are still VHF. On Monday, I did hear some Philadelphia traffic on "B" - which is shared by Philadelphia and Avondale stations; usually, I'm lucky to pick up Avondale from West Chester...

DEPUTY11

ctrabs74.............Philly blows me out in West Chester all the time, goes right over Avondale

Steveradio

Norristown CDC also comes in on CH B in the Lehigh Valley pretty often, of course unless the stations North or Fogelsville come on. Noticed when travel South Fogelsville is herd a good distance South.

I've also noticed a lot of Reading/ Hamburg units going back to CH E often. When they respond in Harrisburg CDC asks if they have coverage in that area on "800 Radio". Guess they are still working out the bugs?

Steve

Q-ball

so is it normal to be able to hear psp fogelsville from the norristown area...ive heard them clearly when i was on 422 near i-76

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Is PSP Honesdale still on the Blooming Grove channel, or did they finally go back?

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Well my wife and I went to the Pocono race this past sunday. We drove from the Albany NY area and stayed in Scranton overnight saturday. I brought my trusty 396 with me loaded with area frequencies including PSP. PA still provides a lot of good listening on VHF high and Low band. I did a quick search on 800 and heard nothing. I heard tons of activity on the PSP VHF system. It was loud and clear including the car-to car frequencies. I entered PA via the 81 corridor, and exited the I-84 corridor into NYS.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The OpenSky towers are up and running....and have been for quite some time in the area. I was speaking to a Troop R guy last night. They have the newer radios in the in the vehicles now, as opposed to the orginal OS radio's that they had for a couple of years. Used for data at the moment...and laughed when I asked about the cutover. The local guys have given up on waiting.

So for now... Motorola Spectra's and System Saber's as usual.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
On a recent trip from the Philly area to Lycoming Co. and back (this weeked), I heard traffic from the following stations: Lamar, Montoursville, Hazleton, Foglesville, and Reading/Hamburg. The Lamar and Montoursville traffic was pretty consistent, so I'd guess they're still using VHF full time. I only heard Hazleton talking to one car...was an unmarked cruiser on I-80. He came up right behind me as he pulled over to help a disabled vehicle...no mention of any coverage issue with the OpenSky, so perhaps Hazleton is still full time VHF? If so, surprised I only heard comms with this one car.

Tuesday was the first time I've heard Foglesville on VHF in some time. I was headed south on the turnpike when I heard traffic on Ch. B.

Q-ball

Ben as goofy as it sounds, i hear fogelsville also on CH. B..and i don't even hafta be on the tpke, i hear it on good ol' rt. 422.......usually from rt. 23 and west from there, now opensky, just to be in the know, is what psp is migrating too and they will no longer be monitorable correct, across the whole state?

Status
Not open for further replies.