PSR-300 vs. BC346XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmundal

Am familiar with the GRE/RS scanners in how they work, and how to program them, but am possibly interested in the Uniden. I figure programming isn't going to be bad because I will just use a computer to do it, but what about normal use? Is the Uniden as easy to use? In other words... If I am scanning a bunch of things, and stuff starts happening with a certain agency, will it be easy for me to lock out the stuff I don't want to hear?

With my 300 I can just kill the other banks, is it possible to do something like this with a Uniden?

Thanks

captclint

Mentor
Am familiar with the GRE/RS scanners in how they work, and how to program them, but am possibly interested in the Uniden. If I am scanning a bunch of things, and stuff starts happening with a certain agency, will it be easy for me to lock out the stuff I don't want to hear? With my 300 I can just kill the other banks, is it possible to do something like this with a Uniden?

Thanks
Newer GRE are similar to Uniden, although it looks like the 300 still has banks.. The key to all this is how YOU decide to organize them. If you put stuff for which you want to concentrate in 1 or two systems (with or without many groups), you can then lock out all the other systems with quick keys which are identical to bank keys. Now if you decide to put a bunch of groups under a system for which you may only want to hear one group(local police for example) then locking out the other groups in a system is a little more involved, but not terribly hard. I tend to put stuff I only want occasionally in systems with quick keys. For example, the Forest Service is only active Fall and Spring, so they are locked out with a quick key.

With the right organization, it can be as simple as bank, but you may need to reorganize a few times before you get it right. That is where cut and paste in software is your friend.

BTW, think of Systems as main folders, and groups as sub folders on your computer. Each system must have at least one group to store freq's, or can have several. For example, under County System, you might want a group for Police, one for Fire, one for EMS, and one Misc. Now these groups can have quick keys, but it takes a couple of steps to get to them. My county has 5 regions, so I make a system for each region, and put Police, Fire, and EMS in separate groups under the region folders because I usually want to hear all of those agencies if something is going on in a region. Again, systems are as easy as banks to lock in or out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.