PSR-500/600 1.5 firmware released

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT-112

Wishlist: good audio quality on simulcast digital systems.

That's about it, really. While I'm very happy to see GRE continue to add features, those of us living in simulcast areas are still living with - honestly - crummy audio with a lot of dropouts.

Yeah, I know it's "difficult" but I really hope GRE is still working on this.

mlevin312

Premium Subscriber
Upgradinf Win500 For New Gre Update

Can anyone tell me how to update my win500 to accommodate the new GRE update?

kevins669

Database Admin

That's about it, really. While I'm very happy to see GRE continue to add features, those of us living in simulcast areas are still living with - honestly - crummy audio with a lot of dropouts.

Ugh. I must agree.

I want to throw the radio sometimes :)

-- Kevin

raisindot

GRE has got be one of the best companies ever, from every angle--product quality, commitment to client service, being true "fans" of the hobby (rather than simply exploiters of fans). To think that only a few years ago you would have to keep on buying new scanners to get the kinds of functionality GRE can provide through software upgrades--for free. Kudos to them!

Suzie

Mike_G_D

Possible FW glitch?

I think I have found a relatively minor (to me anyway) bug in the current firmware.

I recently bought a PSR-500 and have been enjoying it immensely just BTW.

The first thing I did after receiving my unit was to update the firmware - CPU and DSP App. I have both current versions installed 1.5 and 1.3 respectively. It came with CPU 1.3 and DSP App 1.2, as I recall. Serial number is 002840 for reference.

Anyway, while playing with the searching features, both limit and service I notice something unusual when I got to the 1240-1300MHz Ham band. When it got there during service search (Amateur band service search) it seemed to quickly bypass the band and start over at the 10 meter band. I checked to see if I could step through the 1240 band while paused and found that I couldn't! It would just step to either 1240 or 1300MHz and nothing in between. I then tried it using programmed limit search - in this case it just sat still displaying the limits with the center frequency alternating between the limits as you pressed the up or down arrow keys (yes, it was NOT on PAUSE!). Now, if I try searching from say 958MHz as a low limit and 1300 as a high limit then it will just search between 958 and 960MHz completely ignoring the 1240 band. If you put 25MHz in as the low and 1300 as the high and then search backwards (start at 25 and push the down arrow) it will go into a strange looking loop of alternating between 25 and 1300MHz and never go anywhere. Now I CAN enter frequencies manually within the 1240 band so the receiver still works in that range apparently. It appears to be a problem with the search function only.

Since I did not test the unit prior to installing the new updates then I can't say for certain if this behavior is related to the newest updates or has been around awhile. I have not seen posts reflecting this so please forgive me if I missed them and this has been known for awhile.

Anyone else see this on their units? It's not a show stopper for me as I rarely monitor the 1240 band or have need to - just a strange observation that I made and would like to know if others see this too.

-Mike

Last edited:

DonS

I think I have found a relatively minor (to me anyway) bug in the current firmware.
Yes, that's a bug that was introduced in firmware 1.5. GRE knows about it.

Last edited:

Mike_G_D

Thanks Don!

Thank you, sir! I suspected that it was (a FW bug) and that GRE may be aware of it but didn't know for sure, of course. I doubt many users of this radio monitor that band anyway so I doubt many will even notice.

Thanks for the quick reply!

-Mike

mancow

Database Admin
Yea, a toaster is probably more sensitive that any scanner in that range.

I wish they would delete it and spend the little bit of money saved elsewhere.

Viper43

Theres an easy fix for that without needing a firmware fix which will probably never happen. Use a beam or Yagi antenna (ie: dierectional antenna) and point it at the tower you want to hear, that solves the issue.
If you look hard enough you can find them for $10 used or even $30-$40 new. The beams are pretty small if it is for 800MHz systems.
V

JASII

Memory Capacity
I, too, hope for the day of the improvement on multi cast systems. The beam antenna is fine for fixed station use, but in the mobile environment it doesn't help much.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yea, a toaster is probably more sensitive that any scanner in that range.

I wish they would delete it and spend the little bit of money saved elsewhere.

I dunno.... my toaster keeps asking me 'did you hear that? huh?' but I keep stuffing waffles into it to shut it up. Honestly, to me as well that range seems pretty useless but I am sure there are users out there that take advantage of, and enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.