PSR 500 Keyboard Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I am noticing, today, that the PGM key and the FAV keys are loose in their sockets and appear weak (little to no positive tactile feedback)

Is this a known issue?

Puzzling, as I exclusively use software to program and manipulate the scanner (rarely use keyboard for anything but selecting scan lists, and so forth).

This scanner is 2-3 weeks old.....:confused:

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Now that the keyboard has caught my attention... I am looking at the plastic case, and it creaks on the right hand side as though the rear cover is a little loose or not tight in its place.

May have to call the place i bought it tomorrow and see if other units are doing that too.

Geeez, when I think how battle hardened and abused my BC200XLT and BC235 are/were, and, both are are still rock solid minus a bruise or scar or two....... (???)

I actually like this scanner quite a bit.... just it's becoming a little too obvious that this apparatus is made in China.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've noticed on my PSR-500, that the scan and F2 buttons are a little loose. I did program by hand so that could be the reason why. I've also noticed on my Yaesu FT-60R, that the function button is loose too.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I am noticing, today, that the PGM key and the FAV keys are loose in their sockets and appear weak (little to no positive tactile feedback)

Is this a known issue?

Puzzling, as I exclusively use software to program and manipulate the scanner (rarely use keyboard for anything but selecting scan lists, and so forth).

This scanner is 2-3 weeks old.....:confused:

You aren't one of those guys who really pushes the buttons HARD, are you? I have a couple of friends who do it, and keypads don't last long at all, maybe a year, tops. My Psr-500 is two years old and the keypad is fine, not loose at all.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
You aren't one of those guys who really pushes the buttons HARD, are you? I have a couple of friends who do it, and keypads don't last long at all, maybe a year, tops. My Psr-500 is two years old and the keypad is fine, not loose at all.

no, I'm pretty reasonable with things. I have numerous electronic items 20+ years old that still work fine.

And, with this thing, I use software almost all of the time to tweak.....

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
no, I'm pretty reasonable with things. I have numerous electronic items 20+ years old that still work fine.

And, with this thing, I use software almost all of the time to tweak.....

Did you buy that unit new from a reputable dealer with a warranty, or could it be a refurbished unit - possibly returned by someone else?

If the cover seems loose as well, maybe someone took the cover off to see how difficult it would be to replace the keyboard.

Do you remember if those keys were solid when you first got it?

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
That would be my guess, it was a refurb or it was returned. You can never know by looks alone. I bought a $1000 HF transceiver from an authorized dealer that turned out to be a repack. It looked perfect, but.. The box was sealed at the top, but at the bottom, it was obviously resealed. The attenuator button was broken, stuck on, so back it went for a refund, as that was the only one they had. The replacement I got from another place was brand new. The smell it had when first fired up proved it.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well, I bought it from a local Ham Radio shop that has been in business for ever. Based on the packaging, shrinkwrap, etc., it sure looked to be a new unit. IT was purchased as a new unit with a full warranty. I did NOT purchase a known refurb. Paid List.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Well, I bought it from a local Ham Radio shop that has been in business for ever. Based on the packaging, shrinkwrap, etc., it sure looked to be a new unit. IT was purchased as a new unit with a full warranty. I did NOT purchase a known refurb. Paid List.

I think I'd see if they will exchange it being as you only bought it two to three weeks ago.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
I think I'd see if they will exchange it being as you only bought it two to three weeks ago.

Called the shop. They said to bring it in and they would excahnge it if they see what I am referring to. I may do that this weekend.

The place i bought it has been around for years and is a good shop (at least they have been for me).

Normally I am not THIS anal.... i mean, shelling out $400 ain't exactly chump change. Just want a good unit.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:

The shop referred me back to GRE... (uh-huh)

Called GRE and "splained" the situation to them. Let me say that GRE Customer Service has been exemplary---professional and cooperative. I am very pleased with them. GRE seems to understand what good business practices are and seem to value customers.

GRE indicated that they would call the vendor THEMSELVES, and set up an exchange. GRE calls me back (within 15 minutes(!) and indicates that the vendor "can't track a record of a sale to me" (4 weeks ago). GRE indicates that they are familiar with this vendor --- thus, I have to assume that they move a good amount of their product.

You smell something yet? I do.

Well, just dug out the original receipt, and will call GRE back tomorrow. It has all the info correct on the invoice, it's computer generated, and GRE had my name and address, which they read back to me before they called them. In fact, the invoice has the Unit's S/N on it which matches that of my unit, which GRE also has, as I registered the unit via their web-site. All of this and "they can't find the invoice" ????? verrrrrry interesting.

I am starting to smell a rat with this vendor.

Either way I'll be taken care of. I was just trying to avoid being without a $400+ purchase for 1+ weeks, FOUR weeks after that purchase (which GRE agrees with without any argument). If it was 6 months old, and, then something happened, I would be a little more understanding of having to do a "mail in" warranty repair.

I have a funny feeling this is going to get interesting...

Someone above asked if this was a "returned/repacked" unit. NOW I am beginning to wonder. I have a suspicion that GRE would not be pleased with this business practice, and they (vendor) don't want them (GRE) to know that they did this --- but that is just speculation on my part.

More fun tomorrow. And, no, will not be purchasing anything else from them (the vendor) in the future.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That's a bummer. It sounds like they have always done you right in the past. Something does smell a little odd on this one!

Good luck and I hope it turns out being painless!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yes, good luck......... and please keep us posted.

I understand that you probably can't say right now, but maybe at some point, if it goes sour, you might give us a heads up on the vendor so no one else gets a bad deal with them.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Yes, good luck......... and please keep us posted.

I understand that you probably can't say right now, but maybe at some point, if it goes sour, you might give us a heads up on the vendor so no one else gets a bad deal with them.

I agree... I always give the benefit of the doubt initially. Kinda sad really. 20 years ago, this place was a "go to" place for all things radio/ham/scanner etc.. it was kinda like the HAM version of a Harley Dealer. Most folks showed up there just to be there, and also buy all the stuff they neeeded. Place isn't giving off the same vibe at all now.

Now more than ever, it seems they should step up their game, as the competition from on-line sources is more acute than ever.

KD6HRI

GRE does have great customer service from what I have heard from several people I know. Great to see that they will take care of your issues. As for the shop you purchased from.....employees come and go and some there may be a little less then honest. They may repack a return and sell as new and now the next person to purchase may have a problem right out of the box. I have a PSR-500 as well and I really enjoy mine.....no problems. The only thing better I would like to see is a little more rugged case and a better belt clip like those on the Bearcat portables. I also have a RS PRO-197 ( GRE PSR-600 ) and its an excellent scanner. I really dislike vendors that pull this crap because for those who are getting into the hobby or going with a particular brand ( like GRE ) scanner it tends to give the manufacture a bad name when its not their fault. Good luck and when you get this scanner replaced I believe you will be satisfied.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Exchanged units today.

I am convinced, after having the replacement unit, that the other one's case had been opened and that it had been used extensively.

The new one's case is tight as a vault, and the resistance of the volume and squelsh knob on the new one is 10x that of the first one I had.

However, GRE took care of me via the original vendor. Still can't figure out if the vendor was flim-flamming, and gave in, or if they were just being themselves, or what.

Either way, happy camper. Glad I pushed it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Exchanged units today.

I am convinced, after having the replacement unit, that the other one's case had been opened and that it had been used extensively.

The new one's case is tight as a vault, and the resistance of the volume and squelsh knob on the new one is 10x that of the first one I had.

However, GRE took care of me via the original vendor. Still can't figure out if the vendor was flim-flamming, and gave in, or if they were just being themselves, or what.

Either way, happy camper. Glad I pushed it.

Glad to hear that! Enjoy your "new" new radio...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Learned My Lesson

UPDATE:

The shop referred me back to GRE... (uh-huh)

Called GRE and "splained" the situation to them. Let me say that GRE Customer Service has been exemplary---professional and cooperative. I am very pleased with them. GRE seems to understand what good business practices are and seem to value customers.

GRE indicated that they would call the vendor THEMSELVES, and set up an exchange. GRE calls me back (within 15 minutes(!) and indicates that the vendor "can't track a record of a sale to me" (4 weeks ago). GRE indicates that they are familiar with this vendor --- thus, I have to assume that they move a good amount of their product.

You smell something yet? I do.

Well, just dug out the original receipt, and will call GRE back tomorrow. It has all the info correct on the invoice, it's computer generated, and GRE had my name and address, which they read back to me before they called them. In fact, the invoice has the Unit's S/N on it which matches that of my unit, which GRE also has, as I registered the unit via their web-site. All of this and "they can't find the invoice" ????? verrrrrry interesting.

I am starting to smell a rat with this vendor.

Either way I'll be taken care of. I was just trying to avoid being without a $400+ purchase for 1+ weeks, FOUR weeks after that purchase (which GRE agrees with without any argument). If it was 6 months old, and, then something happened, I would be a little more understanding of having to do a "mail in" warranty repair.

I have a funny feeling this is going to get interesting...

Someone above asked if this was a "returned/repacked" unit. NOW I am beginning to wonder. I have a suspicion that GRE would not be pleased with this business practice, and they (vendor) don't want them (GRE) to know that they did this --- but that is just speculation on my part.

More fun tomorrow. And, no, will not be purchasing anything else from them (the vendor) in the future.

I won't go into detail here since I've already talked about it, but I bought my GRE 500 from a source in Brooklyn. They were not an authorized GRE dealer. Initially, they sold me a Canadian model which they eventually replaced. From now on, I will buy from people blessed by GRE, not otherwise. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.