PSR-500 missing 1st bit of some transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sownman

I seem to recall a post about this but I can't find it now. I have noticed more and more, and was reminded again this morning that I seem to miss first words on some analogue transmissions fairly often. This morning I was standing next to the conductor on my train with my radio in manual on the RR freq. I heard his radio start as expected "Metrolink detector milepost 15.7........"
My radio just got "ink detector milepost 15.7....." I lost the Metro part of the first word.

Is there a solution to this ?

Thanks

Steve

jehm1212

If you have the squelch mode set to "auto," then the radio waits to unsquelch the audio until it is sure that the transmission is analog. Your best bet would be to either set the squelch to "none" (csq) or to enter the pl code.

JoeyC

Sownman said:
I seem to recall a post about this but I can't find it now. I have noticed more and more, and was reminded again this morning that I seem to miss first words on some analogue transmissions fairly often. This morning I was standing next to the conductor on my train with my radio in manual on the RR freq. I heard his radio start as expected "Metrolink detector milepost 15.7........"
My radio just got "ink detector milepost 15.7....." I lost the Metro part of the first word.

Is there a solution to this ?

Thanks

Steve

Yes! I had this same problem. The radio has a setting DG Int Prime found by hitting PGM / FUNC /GLOB then scrolling to the setting. The default is 60 (I think). I lowered mine to 20 and I don't miss the beginning of the analog transmissions now. The tradeoff for this is you MAY get a momentary digital brrrapp at the beginning of digital transmissions. The lower the setting, the quicker the radio will open up to analog signals and the more brrrrappp you may hear on digital. With mine at 20, I don't have any problems picking up the start of analog transmissions nor do I hear much motorboarding. Your mileage may vary.

Joe

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Add "TONE SEARCH" to the conventional frequency - it will no longer wait to check for digital.

Sownman

rdale said:
Add "TONE SEARCH" to the conventional frequency - it will no longer wait to check for digital.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean to set the squelch mode to Search or are you telling me something else ? Other than that I don't see a Tone Search.

I did lower the setting on the digital from 60 to 30 which seems to do the trick.

Steve

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
If you make go to the conventional channel in question, then edit it and scroll down to Sq Mode: CTCSS. Make that say search instead.

Sownman

scanfan03 said:
If you make go to the conventional channel in question, then edit it and scroll down to Sq Mode: CTCSS. Make that say search instead.

It always has, thats why I was a bit confused. Thought maybe there was a setting I was missing. At any rate changing that dig setting fixes the problem.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.