Psr 500 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
So it's been a while since I last posted. I always use powercord for psr 500. Today I decided to use the battery option when listening outside. Once I came inside, the scanner wouldn't power on and only works if used with batteries. Not sure how or why this happened. So with batteries functions great, with plug not working. Am I missing something?

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to get another power chord once the world opens up again. Wth

tvengr

Well Known Member
The AC adapter has an output of 9V which means there is a voltage regulator in the scanner. There is a better chance of a problem with the adapter than the circuit in the radio. The Radio Shack Pro-106 and Pro-651 and Whistler WS1040 use the same adapter.

budevans

Here's an abbreviated version from Page 32 of the PSR-500 Users Manual.

PSR-500
You can power the scanner from using a 9VDC at least 500-mA adaptor with 4.75mm outer/1.7mm inner plug.
Its center tip must be set to positive and its plug must fit the scanner’s PWR DC 9V jack. Using an adaptor that does not meet these specifications could damage the scanner or the adaptor.

Note: The PSR-500 is the original GRE scanner. The Pro 106 and Pro 615 are just the Radio Shacks versions of the PSR-500. Same applies to the Whistler WS1040.

Last edited:

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
What in settings I need to change. Got on amazom. Funny working perfect until I tried batteries then went back to power adapter. I have other scanners but this one is important to me

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
What in settings I need to change. Got on amazom. Funny working perfect until I tried batteries then went back to power adapter. I have other scanners but this one is important to me
How do I check if damage to power socket. Please help

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I meant the settings on your AC adapter. Correct voltage, plug size, polarity, etc...

How do I check if damage to power socket. Please help
Look at it. Is the center pin still there? Is the tension spring still on the outer portion still there?

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
I meant the settings on your AC adapter. Correct voltage, plug size, polarity, etc...

Look at it. Is the center pin still there? Is the tension spring still on the outer portion still there?

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
Center pin still there. Spring? Sorry I'm not exactly sure what to look for

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
I opened up all looks normal to to me( I'm no expert). When in with batteries all ok. Once I plug in adapter, power turns off. O ce I remove power adapter batteries work again

italia2006

Premium Subscriber
So with batteries psr500 works flawlessl. once I plug in (correct adapter, I even bough
t a new one, it shuts down. I opened up scanner and everything seems to be in good working order as far as I can tell. All I did was unplug one day and take outside with batteries. Once I returned inside and plugged in again, Rhe power shuT off. Now if I plug in with or wiThout batteries it powers off. I’m no electronics expert as you prob can tell. So if I power on with batteries it’s perfect. Once I insert power cord in power shuts down. It’s like a power interruption. Please help

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Plugging or unplugging while scanning can cause problems, usually by corrupting the sd card. Reformat and reload the sd card and see if that helps. You may even need to get a new card.

Status
Not open for further replies.