PSR-800 DSP version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacon12

I'm still trying to get my scanner updated to P25 phase 2. I've updated Grecomm's EZ scan software to the latest version. I've updated the cpu to version 1.8 and the dsp firmware to v. 1.3. It seems as though I read in a thread here that the dsp firmware needs to be v1.7? I've read so much about this lately I could have that mixed up. When I click on the dsp firmware update button within EZ scan it says I already have the latest version. My question is do I need this elusive v1.7 and if so where and how can I get it.
Jarrell

bailly2

re: psr-800 dsp version

can you receive phase 2 talkgroups on a trunked system? i have the same updates as you and i can recive them. as far as i know they only thing that this radio will let you know you have phase 2 tdma capability is when your on a phase 2 talkgroup and the d2 icon shows up

jacon12

Correction: My screen shows, when pressing the menu key on start up:
uP app1 v. 1.8
DSP APP v. 1.3
DSP VOC v. 1.6
RR Lib v. 359
Jarrell

jacon12

can you receive phase 2 talkgroups on a trunked system? i have the same updates as you and i can recive them. as far as i know they only thing that this radio will let you know you have phase 2 tdma capability is when your on a phase 2 talkgroup and the d2 icon shows up
I'm not receiving them. You're using the psr 800? Maybe it's not meant for me to listen to Macon/Bibb County Ga. :)

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
When I turn mine on a D2 in the display, and I don't know it that has anything to do with Phase 2

jacon12

Go to this GRE page, download the file created 22 Oct 2012 04:40 PM, unzip the downloaded file, and read the .pdf.

HTH
I downloaded it and glanced through it. I'll go through it throughly a little later. One question, what does the DG in EzscanDG mean?
Thank you for that link.
Jarrell

jacon12

Well, the worst thing that could have happened did. While in the process of updating the firmware my computer gave me a 'timed out' message, the scanner was not responding, go back to step one. Step one involves disconnecting the scanner, holding in the menu button and plugging it back in. I suppose in doing that (I knew it was dangerous) files were evidently badly corrupted. It has no cpu firmware on it at all and the computer will not recognize that it is plugged in, but even if it did pressing any buttons i.e. menu, power etc. does nothing. It's an expensive paper weight at present but it's doing a good job at that.
I really don't know what else to do. I don't know if there is even a support for it anymore (repair, new card... whatever) from Grecomm any more. The only thing I can do is try to contact them.
If I could get the computer to recognize it's plugged in I might could use the EZScan software to update again.... maybe. But there must not be anything there, in the scanner, for the computer see it.
Anyway..
Jarrell
Jarrell

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Try a new SD card?

jacon12

Thanks John and policefreak. I formatted the card but it didn't help. Thought it may be a computer issue so I installed EZscan on my laptop. When I plug the scanner into the laptop I get the familiar sound Windows makes when you use a usb port but the scanner is not showing as being hooked up to the laptop, same as on the bigger computer.
I really did a number on it! :)
I'll keep working on it.
Jarrell

jackj

The scanner will only use cards formatted as FAT or FAT32. FAT is for cards 2 gig and under, FAT32 is over 2 gig. Check their formatting but I don't think that is your problem. The CPU and DSP firmware don't appear to be stored on the card so the card format shouldn't matter. I don't know if you need a working card in the scanner in order to update the firmware. I'm afraid you don't have many options, there are some service shops that work on PSR800 scanners. Contact one and explain you problem, maybe they could either fix it or tell you what to do.

jacon12

The scanner will only use cards formatted as FAT or FAT32. FAT is for cards 2 gig and under, FAT32 is over 2 gig. Check their formatting but I don't think that is your problem. The CPU and DSP firmware don't appear to be stored on the card so the card format shouldn't matter. I don't know if you need a working card in the scanner in order to update the firmware. I'm afraid you don't have many options, there are some service shops that work on PSR800 scanners. Contact one and explain you problem, maybe they could either fix it or tell you what to do.
I think you're right...
"you need a working card in the scanner in order to update the firmware."
But, there is really no way to know. It would make sense that, at the factory the cards are loaded with the necessary items from a computer, DSP and CPU especially, and the data bases, then put in the scanner and shipped out. I'll try to locate someone who works on them.
Thank you,
Jarrell

N8IAA

I'm not receiving them. You're using the psr 800? Maybe it's not meant for me to listen to Macon/Bibb County Ga. :)

Macon/Bibb, even though listed as Phase II, is not using Phase II TGID's. If you look at the RR database for the county Phase II system, you will see a 'D' under the mode. If there were Phase II TG's a 'T' would be showing.
Use the software to reformat the SD card.

Larry

bailly2

re: gre psr 800 dsp version

my radio wasn't working because of a corrupted sdcard so i used the windows program checkdisk (chkdsk [drive letter :] /r /f from the command line) and it fixed it

you could try going into device manager in windows and uninstalling the gre psr 800 driver and then reinstall the driver from the greamerica site good luck

jacon12

Ok. I downloaded the sd card formatter and formatted the card as per the instructions i.e.
"6) On the SD Formatter program, click the Option button and select "Full (Overwrite)" for the Format Type, and "Off" for the Format Size Adjustment option and click OK."'

I left the card in the card reader as instructed then ran the EZ Scan pc program. I downloaded the latest CPU and DSP and Library updates to my computer.. The next instructions were:

"9) Run the EZ Scan Digital PC Application and select the "Prepare Scanner/SD Card for use" option using the Quick Format option and the option to copy the data and the library files."

Thats where things are no so obvious. There is a box to check "Quick Format" and there are 2 different check boxes, one for "Copy current configuration data to SD card after Formatting" and another one for "Copy Library files to card after formatting"
I figured I needed it all so I checked both of them.
No where did I see an option to install the CPU or DSP firmware. Are they included in the 'copy current configuration data to SD card after formatting" option?
Anyway, as I said I checked both option boxes and hit format and things were written to the card. Before removing the card from the reader I used Explorer to look at the cards contents and saw these:
CDAT, DB, LDB and a something that did not look like a file named CURVS.
I loaded the sd card back into the scanner and nothing happens. There is a line on the display screen telling what uP boot version. It stays there all the time unless the card or the batteries are removed.
So that's where I am at present. I appreciate all the suggestions and thoughts so far, I sure thought reformatting and loading the card via the card reader would do the trick. If you have any ideas I'd be much obliged to hear them.
Correction! That line on the screen " uP boot version F 1.0" is there regardless of whether the sd card is in the scanner or not. Only way it goes away is to take the batteries out of the scanner. Makes me wonder if the scanner is recognizing there's a card in place. Hmmmm....
Jarrell

Last edited:

Swipesy

Jarrell, did you copy your configuration to the SD Card from EZScan? if not put the SD Card back in your card reader and click on the Scanner/SD Card tab at the top of the EZScan Program and select "Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/ SD Card. When finished put SD Card back in scanner and see what happens.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.