PSR-800... LED Flash For PWR Mode Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Is there a setting to make the LED flash for PWR mode and not have them flash while on the batteries?

DonS

No.

The only battery vs. external power setting ("LModeBAT" and "LModeEXT") affects all lights. You could set "LModeBAT" to "Stlth" and that would keep the tri-color LED turned off, but then you wouldn't get the backlights, either.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
No.

The only battery vs. external power setting ("LModeBAT" and "LModeEXT") affects all lights. You could set "LModeBAT" to "Stlth" and that would keep the tri-color LED turned off, but then you wouldn't get the backlights, either.

So there is no way to just turn off the LED? I would like to be able to do that when scanning at night in my mobile, right now I just stick a piece of tape over the LED...

DonS

No, there's no way to turn off just the tri-color LED - apart from creating a separate V-Scanner folder that has it turned off (for each object).

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
No, there's no way to turn off just the tri-color LED - apart from creating a separate V-Scanner folder that has it turned off (for each object).

Thanks DonS, that's what I did for my 500 and 106 HT's..I would like to see that option in future radios..

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
No.

I am so dumb and this radio is so awesome. The settings to do this were here all along. With what you mentioned or using EZ Scan, this is exactlty what I was looking for.

I love the backlight on and LED flahing when on a wall charger but found out these settings were unacceptable for battery life. Now I have the best of both worlds.

Thank you !!!

DonS

I love the backlight on and LED flahing when on a wall charger but found out these settings were unacceptable for battery life. Now I have the best of both worlds.

If you set "LiteLevel" to "Low", the various LEDs won't significantly impact battery life. They'll only draw about 6mA total (LCD backlight on, keypad backlight on, tri-color LED "white").

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
If you set "LiteLevel" to "Low", the various LEDs won't significantly impact battery life. They'll only draw about 6mA total (LCD backlight on, keypad backlight on, tri-color LED "white").

Still... It would be *quite nice* if they could somehow, via a `firmware' & `software' `update', give the alert LEDs similar control as they have for the backlighting with external or battery power without having to resort to `kludges'. And, *if* they could `put the icing on the cake', also give the alert LEDs intensity level control like the display's. Battery `savings', though there **might** be a **slight** improvement, are not as much of an `issue' as is `nightvision' `savings'.

(Try driving back home late at night, with SWMBO and children aboard, and having been on the road for about an hour without basically no other lights beyond the dash lights and suddenly a TG that you have an LED alert programmed comes up because you've just gotten in range for it. While it could reasonably be expected that SWMBO, who is in the righthand seat and dozing, would be awakened by both the audio and flashing. One wouldn't expect the children, who are in the back seats and a tad bit more than just dozing plus having their headphones attached to now silent MP3 players on, to be awakened by the LED's flashing! Oh, yeah... The way the scanner sits is such that basically the main `beam' from the LEDs isn't aimed towards the backseat area but is, instead aimed upwards and surrounded by the lip of the `tray' it is in. Also, the headliner is not a shiny reflective surfaced material. To have them both controllable both as on/off on battery power and intensity would be great. [Oh, yeah... It would be nice for both the display and them to be dimmable even further down than they currently are just for `night-vision's' sake! My EDC flashlight dims further, less than 1 lumen, than the display does and I don't have any problems even with my old `antique' fading vision eyes.])

Status
Not open for further replies.