• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Purchasing a frequency license

Status
Not open for further replies.

iversm24

Does anybody know how difficult it is to get a license for private use of radio frequencies? I will need at least 4 frequencies to use.

nd5y

N5XPM

To expand a little, you need to work through a frequency coordinator. Can you elaborate if it is for base, repeater, mobile usage and whether it is for your business or a public safety / governmental organization or your family (GMRS)? Also, do you know what frequency band you want to operate in?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You would need to tell us more about what you want to do with them. It's not as simple as just picking a couple of frequencies and licensing them. Frequency coordination may be required.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
UHF and it would be for a private EMS business

You will need to work with a frequency coordinator to pick suitable frequencies for that service. The frequency coordinator will help find you 4 frequencies that are available in your area. They can also help you fill out and file the FCC paperwork, which will save you a lot of headaches.
Here's a list of frequency coordinators:
Public Safety Frequency Coordinators
Personally, I'd recommend IMSA over APCO. IMSA can be much easier to work with.

Don't purchase any radios until you have that done. I've seen people buy radios first only to find out no frequencies were available in the band.

GrumpyGuard

When we needed frequencies for our church, we used a frequency coordinator and after we talked we ended up with five frequencies. One for use while traveling and four that can later be used with a repeater if needed. I found them to be helpful and easy to work with.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
what’s your use case? Are you an IFT service? 911? Will you be interacting with other agencies on the radios? It may be easier to just rent services from a radio company.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Another concern... If you're providing EMS, you might be operating over a large area. If so, you'll need to think about proper wide-area radio coverage for those 4 frequencies. Simplex coverage would be fairly limited without repeaters. Would mobile coverage be adequate, or will handheld radios be required? If so, this further complicates the coverage issues. Depending on the circumstances, the cost for wide-area coverage for a 4-channel private radio system could easily run into six or seven figures. +1 for the rental option.

cmpsa

short answer for FCC licensing is:
* private for-profit ambulance service: Apply for frequencies under "business/industrial" pool.
* private for-profit ambulance service, dispatched under a E911 contract: you would be eligible to apply for frequencies under "public safety pool", but I would stay away from public safety freqs, more of a hassle. Just get "business/industrial" frequencies, and you can get VHF or UHF, and if you want direct/simplex or a repeater pair.

WRBK832
here is our FCC license, as an example, which includes a for-profit ambulance service like yours:

We exclusively use VHF which has worked out the best for us. So it includes some VHF repeaters and VHF direct/simplex tactical frequencies. For radios we use a mixture of Kenwood TK-5710H which are VHF 110-watts high-powered mobiles, some Kenwood NX-5700 VHF 50-watts, and Motorola XPR5550e VHF 50-watt mobiles. The Kenwoods we use analog & P25 modes and the Motorola is analog & DMR (i.e. Motorola MotoTRBO) digital. With the digital VHF repeaters we get about 50-80 miles of coverage. VHF works best if you are out in the country, and not in a city.

Status
Not open for further replies.