Purchasing HP-1 Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

djstar39

Folks, not exactly sure which forum to post this in (perhaps the New User / Getting Started). I'm planning to purchase the HP-1 and ScannerMaster has Black Friday deals / combo packages on their site Scanner Master Specials

They have combo deals for the HP-1, 396XT, 996XT, as well as others. For the HP-1 combo, it contains the unit, SF mobile mag mount, nylon travel case (not sure I want), and their setup and optimize for $560. Also free shipping.

I plan to use it at home and in the SUV. Some of the qustions I have:

1) What about the ARCpatrol software... should I order it / do I need it?
2) Any thoughts on the SF mobile antenna?
3) I'm technically literate so I think I could program the HP-1 myself so I'm not sure I need the setup.
4) Anyone have the travel case?
5) I've been researching on this site for different antenna's as the collective thoughts are that the stock one needs to be replaced. General consensus seems to be the RS 800 or perhaps the Diamond SRH789.
6) Not sure what I want to do as far as base antennas and have been researching. I do have a UHF/VHF ham antenna mounted in the attic that does well with my Yaesu 857.
7) Might have to go with the extreme upgrade later as the cost of this is ever increasing.
8) Will probably go with ScannerMaster's GPS unit.
9) Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for any input / advice you can give me! This site is a treasure of information!!

Dave
KC9RAK

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel software as it is now is very useful. Setup is not necessary.
Spend that $ on the extreme upgrade.
No regrets except I wish I had two. :)

JASII

Memory Capacity
New in Box Uniden HP1s frequently have been selling new in box for $300 or less buy it now on eBay in the last couple of weeks.... FYI.

I have been giving an HP-1 some thought, too. Is/are the eBay dealer(s) reputable?

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
New in Box Uniden HP1s frequently have been selling new in box for $300 or less buy it now on eBay in the last couple of weeks.... FYI.

I did an eBay search for completed listings, and didn't find any HP1's for less than $300. However, there were a few just above $300 which is quite a deal. I wouldn't expect to find many deals like that.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
1) What about the ARCpatrol software... should I order it / do I need it?

No, but it has some great features. You can purchase it later, once you have become accustom to the HP-1 operation.

2) Any thoughts on the SF mobile antenna?

Not sure about the SF, but I have a Austin mobile that works well with the HP-1.

3) I'm technically literate so I think I could program the HP-1 myself so I'm not sure I need the setup.

All you need is the zip code, it's that simple.

4) Anyone have the travel case?

Yes, I use it and it's nice to have, but not a necessity.

5) I've been researching on this site for different antenna's as the collective thoughts are that the stock one needs to be replaced. General consensus seems to be the RS 800 or perhaps the Diamond SRH789.

I use the RS800 with great results.

6) Not sure what I want to do as far as base antennas and have been researching. I do have a UHF/VHF ham antenna mounted in the attic that does well with my Yaesu 857.

That should work fine.

7) Might have to go with the extreme upgrade later as the cost of this is ever increasing.

Get the upgrade later. It's just a password (specific to your electric serial number).

8) Will probably go with ScannerMaster's GPS unit.

Take a look at the Uniden version also: Bearcatwarehouse Uniden BC-GPSK Gps Receiver For the HP-1 you also need the adapter cable (BWZG1844001).

9) Anything I'm missing?

I think you'll have it figured out on your own.

Last edited:

djstar39

Thanks all! Dave, regarding the GPS... I was thinking that the GPS unit sold by SM wouldn't need the adapter cable but I'm now thinking that I would need an adapter with either the SM or the Uniden. Not sure I understand why they would make a product that would need an adapter cable but oh well.

Does anyone know if the local RS carry the 800mhz antenna or are they an online purchase? Assume I'll need the SMA to BNC adapter and I've read others getting a right angle as well.

Thanks again!!!

dsleigh

Homepatrol advice

The big z electronics refurbished unit has all that a new one incudes. If bought there request one with the original box. Try a snoop antenna from e-bay as they work quite well with the homepatrol-1

djstar39

KJ6HCB,

Thanks! Looking into it now. Have never done much on Ebay so I'm a bit hesitant. But that would be a significant savings.

Dave
KC9RAK

KJ6HCB

I would have no issue from that seller - several hundred feedback with 100% positive, eBay buyer protection along with being protected by PayPal - also the seller offers a 3 day return policy if you find anything wrong with the unit after inspection.

Win/win IMO

kf7yn

I had very little interest in the Home Patrol until I read up on the extreme upgrade. So I bought one new in box on eBay for $350 shipped last week. I bought the extreme upgrade and updated the Sentinel software to ver 2.01. You can create any number of custom Favorites lists.

I also ordered the GPS option from Buy.com Buy.com

Highpockets

I had very little interest in the Home Patrol until I read up on the extreme upgrade. So I bought one new in box on eBay for $350 shipped last week. I bought the extreme upgrade and updated the Sentinel software to ver 2.01. You can create any number of custom Favorites lists.

I also ordered the GPS option from Buy.com Buy.com

Life on the high seas must be good! :)

djstar39

Thanks KJ6HCB! I pulled the trigger when they were 5 left. It's back to 6 left so he must have had more. You saved me a bunch of money that I can spend on accessories like antennas and such.

Thanks again! (not a bad idea on the finders fee commission! You certainly deserve it!)

Dave

OCO

Anyone know the quantity wholesale pricing on HP1's? If there's an influx of real NIBs at around $300.00 on the auction sites, is this an indication of some kind of push to clear out the current model?

Status
Not open for further replies.