• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar Multiple DPL tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WRDU235

Hey all Quantar experts,

I've searched for DAAAAAYS now and unable to find answers to this question. Long story short, I have a 300' tall GMRS repeater located in Naperville, IL. Currently it is set up with several tones (All are DPL tones) and it's been working great for my needs with my Kenwood TKR-850. I am upgrading this repeater though to a Quantar for MANY reasons, duty cycle and far better receive are the two main ones. I also had this tuned correctly from Mark Dannon at Northcomm so I know it’s perfect EXCEPT this issue below. Before everyone gives me grief for having multiple PL tones, I know what I’m doing and I know what works for my particular usage case and believe me, it’s been working perfectly now with the current repeater at the tower site for many years.

Anyways, I have this repeater cooking with fire with the SOLE exception that I cannot figure out how to get multiple DPL (digital) tones configured. I have both RSS R14.11.00 and also R14.10.00 (Which is what I started with before I got R14.11.00).

Within the software I have under "Hardware Configuration" set to "MULTI-PL ONLY".... It's either that or "DISABLED".... It doesn't have an option for "MULTI-PL/MULTI-DPL"

When you go to “Multi-Coded Squelch Table” if you select more than 1 DPL you get an error that reads “There is a Maximum of 12 Rx PLs and 1 Rx DPL For This Table. Please Make the Appropriate Changes”. I then have to hit the “Continue” button.

What leads me to believe this is possible which I cannot confirm however, is the following verbiage I find when I hit the “Help” button:

“The Multi-Coded Squelch Option is a tiered option. The initial release of the option is the low tier option which provides the user with the choice of 12 unique PLs and one DPL for Rx Code. This choice is affected by selecting MULTI-PL ONLY as the choice for the Multi-Coded Squelch option on the HARDWARE CONFIGURATION screen. A subsequent release is planned to allow the user the choice of 37 PLs and 24 DPLs. This higher tier option will be enabled by selecting MULTI-PL/MULTI-DPL as a choice for Multi-Coded Squelch. This higher tier option is not currently available.”

So *IS* it available? If so, what are the requirements to make this work? Is it even NEWER RSS software (I’ll pay for that, no worries), is it a firmware upgrade to the actual station?

How do I get this to work??? I *COULD* just use the single DPL tone (my public tone for all the amateur side) and change all the other tones to regular PL for my family usage but then I’d have to re-program a ton of radios that are already out in the field which is a PAIN!!

Thanks in advance for your time and help and let me know if more info is needed!

73’s!

ROB – WRDU235 / KD9UEI.

EDIT: Here is the firmware version info from the station:

Station Control FW: R020.14.038
Station Exciter FW: R020.09.018
Station Wireline FW (8 wire): R020.13.003
Codeplug Version: 14
RX: 467.575
TX: 462.575

WRDU235

Update: I have now acquired RSS Software Version R14.13.00 which is as of 06/03/2015 and still nothing. No changes and in the HELP portion it still has that same verbiage. That being said, I'm at home, not at the shop so I'll double check tomorrow once I get the Quantar hooked up to my computer.

The 2015 dated RSS PDF Manual states: "On the initial access of the Multi-coded Squelch Table screen, a default User #1 appears with the default data. The Total Time Used and Number of Calls fields are empty. From this initial screen, up to 13 total users may be entered (12 PL and 1 DPL). When finished, the information is saved to the station codeplug."

I've also opened a line of communication / repair ticket with a local authorized Motorola dealer as well!

Thanks!

xmo

If you need multiple DPL codes, you may have too add a a third party decoder such as a Zetron 37-Max or 38.

WRDU235

I'm aware of external controllers/decoders/etc.... I really don't want to add more devices to the mix due to more moving parts. The Quantar by its self is pretty wicked so for the KISS method I'm passing on that.

I thought about it til I went to bed last night at midnight and woke up today at 6:45AM and I'm just going to change the PL tones on the radios that need it changed on.

I'd still love an answer to this question but for now, I begrudgingly have a oslution.

Thanks,
ROB

greenwheless

I'm aware of external controllers/decoders/etc.... I really don't want to add more devices to the mix due to more moving parts. The Quantar by its self is pretty wicked so for the KISS method I'm passing on that.

I thought about it til I went to bed last night at midnight and woke up today at 6:45AM and I'm just going to change the PL tones on the radios that need it changed on.

I'd still love an answer to this question but for now, I begrudgingly have a oslution.

Thanks,
ROB

Rob, I am working through some Quantar projects myself. Would you mind contacting me? 713.591.0420

prcguy

The Quantar only supports one DPL even though it has the equivalent of a community tone panel. The only way around this is an external community tone panel but I would only use the tone/DPL encode/decode function and never put the panel in line with repeat audio. You will never get the great repeat audio with an external controller in line.

BTW, Mark at Northcomm is a great guy and his products are first class. Almost anyone can tune a Quantar at home with minimal test equipment like a simple signal generator, watt meter and receiver with oscilloscope for aligning the P25 waveform. A duplexer is a different story and Mark is well equipped for those.

WRDU235

Mark is who tuned my current production Quantar! :) I love that guy lol. I ended up changing all my family radios to just have normal PL tones and laid that to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.