tdawg221

Premium Subscriber
Hi I have a question I'm looking to get a new scanner I live in Wisconsin and my county is using analog but there are rumors of then switching to P25 mu budget is under 300 if possible

wtp

i think price is relative.
i still have a pro-2004 i bought in 1986 or so for $400.
that is like $10 a year for entertainment.
the pro-2001 from 1979 is giving some problems. also $400.
and tdawg221, i sent a PM look to the top right.

saioke

It really comes down to what they're switching to, phase 1 or phase 2. Phase 1 p25 scanners like the Whistler 1065 can sell for around $200-250 on the used market. But, you won't be getting phase 2, dmr, etc. A scanner that does support those will definitely be more. In my county, I get away with my Whistler 1065. There's a few DMR stations I'd love to monitor but the majority of traffic in my area still use analog or p25 phase 1. Your area may go straight to phase 2.

Personally I think you should wait. There's no rush in upgrading when your county is still analog imo.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hi I have a question I'm looking to get a new scanner I live in Wisconsin and my county is using analog but there are rumors of then switching to P25 mu budget is under 300 if possible

You don't say if you need hand held or desktop, if desktop look into a SDR dongle and software like DSD+, SDRTrunk or something similar, which would cost around $75 or less.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. What county? Do you know if they'll be joining WISCOM or a system of their own? Being armed with this info will help us assist you with a recommendation. Assuming your county goes P25 Phase-I as with WISCOM then you may be able to get a scanner on the 2nd hand market for under $300 to handle it, or an SDR for significantly less as previously mentioned. If they move to Phase-II then expect to spend an upwards of $350 to $700. If they simulcast their traffic then only a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 would be able to overcome the effects of simulcast distortion but we'll cross that bridge once you give us more info

tdawg221

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the lack of info wood county Wisconsin is the place I was referring to but all I've heard is rumors of then switching to P25 I think for now I will just buy a analog scanner I have one picked out all ready and if they go digital well I will cross that bridge when I get there lol I don't know much about simcast so I don't know what the difference is between that and P25

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Sorry for the lack of info wood county Wisconsin is the place I was referring to but all I've heard is rumors of then switching to P25 I think for now I will just buy a analog scanner I have one picked out all ready and if they go digital well I will cross that bridge when I get there lol I don't know much about simcast so I don't know what the difference is between that and P25

Wood is surrounded by digital P25 users and the state system is P25, so it would probably be in your best interest to get a scanner than can handle P25 phase I and phase II.

Simulcast is a type of transmission where all towers in the system transmit on the same frequency at the same time. It can be analog or digital.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about simcast so I don't know what the difference is between that and P25
Click the words "simulcast distortion" in post #6 to learn about the issue and steps you can take to try and mitigate it if you experience it. It's discussed daily throughout various forums here

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Premium Subscriber
Wood has been one of few left that weren't p25.

evilbrad

My head makes a bad antenna
Premium Subscriber
Wood is surrounded by digital P25 users and the state system is P25, so it would probably be in your best interest to get a scanner than can handle P25 phase I and phase II.

Simulcast is a type of transmission where all towers in the system transmit on the same frequency at the same time. It can be analog or digital.
Have a question.. for the counties using p25 on vhf conventional. Are most staying phase 1 for a while or switching to phase 2? I only ask how long is it before all the p25 systems are all phase 2?(I have older p1 only p25 scanners)

lenk911

There are no P25 phase 2 TDMA conventional repeaters. At the present time phase 2 is only possible on trunked systems.
One of the reasons why Phase 2 (12 Kbps), which is technically possible on conventional channels, is there are adjacent channel interference issues on VHF with only 7.5 KHZ channel spacing. Phase 2 has a wider channel mask verses Phase 1 (9.6 Kbps).