• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Questions about 2+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisissparta789789

Premium Subscriber
Can Motorola QuikCall 1 (2+2) set off pagers/plectrons, and does anyone even use them anymore? They're very old, and I thought almost all departments got rid of them.

RKG

Yes, so long as the pagers are set for the same frequencies for which the QC encoder is set, and (and this is often the problem) so long as the pagers are set for the same timing functions built into the QC encoder (and, in recent years, not capable of being modified). From memory, the Motorola standard timing is 1 second of first tone, 0 seconds of inter-tone silence, and 3 seconds of second tone.

If you're using a group tone ("Long B" or "Long C"), the Motorola standard is 6 seconds of the long tone, and we've found some Minitors that fail to open because they seem to have a long attack time and, therefore, fail to see a bit of the beginning of the tone. Our solution to that was to increase the long tone time (we're using a Zetron console, not a Motorola subscriber as the encoder) to 8 seconds. When sending a single group tone, sending the tone longer than the pagers expect presents no issues.

BirkenVogt

QC 1 is a different animal than the current standard QC 2. It is easy enough to encode with modern encoders having the capability to do everything digitally. But I know of no modern decoders for it. The only reason to use it is to maintain compatibility with really old alerting systems, and for nostalgia purposes. I don't think any portable pagers ever used it.

There are still a few around here, but they have really disappeared lately.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Is the OP asking if a QC II decoder will fire off on QC I tones? Good chance it might. QC I is a dual tone format (think DTMF). If one of the tones matches the single QC II tone in both the A and B sequence it probably will succeed. QC I timing format is one second and one second but most modern QC II decoders are quick enough to trip on a short sequence.

It'd be fun to experiment to see, but wouldn't rely on cross format paging for anything important. I know the local Cal Fire still throws out a QC I group page for all call, but for the life of me can't think of anything that could use it. I asked the comm BC about it once and he couldn't give me a straight answer either.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I am fairly certain that the Minitor I could be ordered with a four tone board that would decode QC-1 (2+2), but the info I have is that it was the last and only Minitor to do so. II's and up are all 1+1 only in various combinations.

The old Civil Defense receivers were the big users of QC-1. Here's a recent listing on Ebay for one for those that have never seen or heard of them. Vintage Motorola VHF Civil Defense Receiver 1960'S | eBay They were about the size of a small microwave oven. They ran very warm due to all tube technology. The one in this add is missing the four huge vibrasponders. You can see the four empty socket in the pic of the back of the unit.

I don't know for sure if the Alert Monitor or the early Plectrons could handle QC-1, but it's possible that they did. Both hit the market when 2+2 was still very common.

When I retired 10 years ago, 1+1 was still in the mix for some of the fire departments back home. We still tested Civil Defense receivers every day at noon.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
You can alert QCII pagers with DTMF, so it might work with QCI. The problem I see would be the gap between tones. I have no idea if the gap is too long between tones. I don't know how long the decoder waits to see the second tone.

The issue with DTMF (and I suppose 2+2) is that you have to pick one of the tones, and ignore the other. This limits you on the amount of tones available.

Status
Not open for further replies.