Quick Key Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arizona_Scanner

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 28, 2011
Messages
230
Reaction score
3
Location
Phoenix, AKA HELL
I've been using the 396 and 996 scanners since they first came out but I never have asked one question that I have been meaning to ask.

For those like me who might typically be scanning 20 quick keys at once, is there any trick to turn off all the quick keys with just a few key strokes?

Let's say I'm monitoring 20 quick keys, but decide I just want to monitor quick key 1, and I don't want to spend a long time turning off 19 quick keys. Any suggestions?
 

Jim41

Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
188
Reaction score
4
I don't have experience with this radio, but I will share a concept I used with earlier Uniden scanners.

Bank 1. City A, police, fire, and rescue.
Bank 2, City A, police
Bank 3. City A, fire
Bank 4, City A, rescue

So normally I would use Bank 1. If a police chase were to occur, I would turn on Bank 2 and turn off Bank 1. For a working fire, I would turn on Bank 3 and turn off Bank 1. This way I could focus on significant events.

The same concept works for Talk Groups in Trunked systems.

In your case perhaps you could put lots of stuff in Quick Key 1 and subsets in Quick Keys 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

I would be interested in hearing whether or not this concept will work for your situation.

Jim41
 

JoeyC

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
3,526
Reaction score
68
Location
San Diego, CA
You could consider using Startup Keys otherwise,if you do not have a need to separate what is located in SQK 2-20 and always listen to the same groups, you could consider putting them all in the same SQK. Of course, with that you don't have the luxury of turning on and off stuff that are in 2-20 individually.
 

kennyloatman

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
641
Reaction score
35
Location
Cumberland Co., NJ
On the 996T you can push and hold the function knob while in the scan mode, I think for at least two seconds until it beeps. It will hold on the one system you want to monitor and stay on that system until you push function again.
 
Last edited:

Reflex439

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
25
Reaction score
1
...For those like me who might typically be scanning 20 quick keys at once, is there any trick to turn off all the quick keys with just a few key strokes?...

Exactly the same question. What is the quickest way to turn off all SystemQuickKeys with the minimum amount of key presses, then turn on any you wish to continue to listen. Very handy when something happens and you want a clean slate to start monitoring, without first shutting off systems one by one.

Sometimes I listen to nearly all the systems in my scanner, then something happens. I need to quickly turn off a bunch of systems, so I can focus on just those systems/groups that are important. I could spend 2 minutes just identifying whats being scanned, and hitting Quick Keys turning them off. That takes away from the event I want to monitor. Being able to press a couple keys and turn everything off, then enable those important systems sure would be nice.

I was hopeful when I found Startup keys, until I read how they actually work. Not much help at all :(

Any tricks?
 

RF23

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 1, 2011
Messages
949
Reaction score
76
Exactly the same question. What is the quickest way to turn off all SystemQuickKeys with the minimum amount of key presses, then turn on any you wish to continue to listen. Very handy when something happens and you want a clean slate to start monitoring, without first shutting off systems one by one.

Sometimes I listen to nearly all the systems in my scanner, then something happens. I need to quickly turn off a bunch of systems, so I can focus on just those systems/groups that are important. I could spend 2 minutes just identifying whats being scanned, and hitting Quick Keys turning them off. That takes away from the event I want to monitor. Being able to press a couple keys and turn everything off, then enable those important systems sure would be nice.

I was hopeful when I found Startup keys, until I read how they actually work. Not much help at all :(

Any tricks?

Why wouldn't the "White keys" work to hold on a System or Site/Dept. and sometimes channel (if conventional) when something is going on? It seems to work for me although I sometimes will need to use the "avoid" key if the system or site is very large to stop unwanted transmissions.

This effectively eliminates all the other systems / sites etc. too or do you need multiple systems going to follow the action? This may indeed need what you have asked in your question.
 
Last edited:

Reflex439

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
25
Reaction score
1
That would work if all communications are within that department. But when multiple departments and agencies are involved, a lot will be missed.I.e., a car chase start with the state police. If you 'hold' on the state police, you miss the communications between the state and local police, helicopters, and news. Its nice to get all parts of the event when possible, and is easy with the SQKs and GQKs, but tough if it started when you have a lot of systems being scanned when the calls came in, ax you'd have to spend a lot of time deactivating the other systems. Having some quick trick to 'quiet' everybody all at once, then adding the SQKs as you follow the event is ideal.

I had hopes with the Startup Keys, in that I could have a startup mode that would start with all systems off. Then i could cycle the power quickly, startup in that mode, and then hit the appropriate SQKs for those I want to follow. A lot faster then watching the scan display to see whats active, and turning those systems off, and using temp lockouts. But then found out the Startup Keys lockout the systems, and won't allow me to activate them with a SQK. Not very useful at all for this situation.

Basically, a shut off all 24 systems at once then enable a few one by one, vs shut off 24 one by one until you are left with the few you really want to monitor. I haven't found a way to do the former, and struggle each time with the latter trying not to loose the communications while doing so.
 

Reflex439

Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
25
Reaction score
1
Saw your last sentence, yes, I need to follow multiple agencies and interaction between them which can cross multiple systems. Such as situations where Fire, EMS, State PD, Lifeflight, CMED/hosptials, etc are involved. Even a simple car chase involves multiple local police, state police, and aircraft/news. I want to hear them all, rather than just one side. Using SQKs, GQKs, and temp lockout make it simple when starting with a clean slate. Just enter the quick keys to add or delete them from the mix. But if you are scanning a lot of systems when it starts, its hell trying to weed out the stuff you don't want to hear and is easier to add a few from nothing, then to subtract most everything to end up with a few.

I am hoping there is a neat trick someone has come up with. If not, I'll keep trying stuff to get there myself and post a way to do so if I find one. Its my #1 priority to make my life easier :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top