Quick LA question on encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

daggit

Premium Subscriber
Real quick. I moved to CA last year and now have a job that takes me in the Valley and near LAX. I'm a little confused. I read that most Police channels are encrypted yet I see posts saying LAPD operates on P25 which can be listed too. I also looked in the data base and see many Police channels are not encrypted. I know I'm missing something. I was just going to upload a a ton of channels from the data base and see what I can pick up but would be nice to get a little direction and save time. Thanks.

Real quick. I moved to CA last year and now have a job that takes me in the Valley and near LAX. I'm a little confused. I read that most Police channels are encrypted yet I see posts saying LAPD operates on P25 which can be listed too. I also looked in the data base and see many Police channels are not encrypted. I know I'm missing something. I was just going to upload a a ton of channels from the data base and see what I can pick up but would be nice to get a little direction and save time. Thanks.

If they are encrypted, whether they are p25 or not, you won't be able to monitor them.

Doc

daggit

Premium Subscriber
If they are encrypted, whether they are p25 or not, you won't be able to monitor them.

Doc
I understand that but the post I read made it seem that LAPD was not encrypted on p25. Of course I know that the majority of LAPD must be encrypted from what I have read. Others have said tac channels are not encrypted yet. I know I’m going to have to study the data based more just thought I could get advice on what’s worth programming

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I am uncertain what you have been reading, or been told. If you are speaking of LAPD as in the Los Angeles Police Department - Division Dispatch, Bureau Traffic, Bureau Tacs are not encrypted. Some units do use encryption, but it's SIS and the like, and they usually operate simplex, so it's unlikely you would hear them anyway.

Now, having said that, if you are speaking of the area most people think of as "LA", then it's a little different. Along the "corruption corridor" of the 605/710/110 freeways many of the incorporated cities that have their own departments use encryption. Pasadena is encrypted, but Burbank and Glendale are not. Santa Monica, encrypted. Culver City, not. All the South Bay RCS agencies are encrypted for LE.

LA County Sheriff is also in the clear.

So maybe yes, maybe no. But certainly NO when it comes to LAPD.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Maybe you're getting thrown off by the long list of agencies.
But there is no E in any of the LAPD listings in the RR Data
Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 1.11.55 PM.png

daggit

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. So when people say LAPD they mean the car unit traffic is encrypted? Sorry if I’m sounding stupid all my scanning has been in the Midwest of the Country. Main areas I’m interested in are Chatsworth, North Hills, North Ridge, Granada and West LA. See I don’t l live in the area but travel there for work and still learning about ggg he e different departments. Thinking maybe put in LA sheriff in see about local departments

Vinman

Premium Subscriber
You should be fine in those areas listed as them as they are LAPD covered and not encrypted. South of LAX along the beaches (El Segundo, Manhattan, Redondo and Torrance , PD is encrypted and Fire not. LA County Sheriff are not encrypted either.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Thanks. So when people say LAPD they mean the car unit traffic is encrypted? Sorry if I’m sounding stupid all my scanning has been in the Midwest of the Country. Main areas I’m interested in are Chatsworth, North Hills, North Ridge, Granada and West LA. See I don’t l live in the area but travel there for work and still learning about ggg he e different departments. Thinking maybe put in LA sheriff in see about local departments
LAPD is in the clear (Dispatch and patrol cars, helos, etc, as is LASD. There has been talk that on ethe new LA-RICS system comes online, probably in 2023, some LASD will be encrypted, but most is in the clear now.

N6ML

So when people say LAPD they mean the car unit traffic is encrypted?

When people say LAPD, they mean the police department for the *city* of Los Angeles.

Los Angeles *county* has 87(?) other cities, with their own police departments. Some of them encrypt their dispatch traffic and some don't.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
LA is weird like that. You go two blocks in one direction, now you're in another jurisdiction. Another three blocks, different city. Scanners need LOTS of extra batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.