Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpoter

Hello forum, I have a question about general scanning. I am looking on ebay for a UHF 450-520 mHz motorola ht1000 and I want to buy one and turn it into a police scanner for Broward county. I am a police explorer and I thought this could be good training for me to listen to police chatter. Do I need an FCC license or any license at all to posses this radio and only use it as a police scanner and not to use it as a communication device. I don't plan on talking to the police just listen to them. An answer would be most appreciated, thank you.

DickH

Hello forum, I have a question about general scanning. I am looking on ebay for a UHF 450-520 mHz motorola ht1000 and I want to buy one and turn it into a police scanner for Broward county. I am a police explorer and I thought this could be good training for me to listen to police chatter. Do I need an FCC license or any license at all to posses this radio and only use it as a police scanner and not to use it as a communication device. I don't plan on talking to the police just listen to them. An answer would be most appreciated, thank you.

Broward county has a trunking system and only the county radio shop can program it and they will only do it if the system administrator approves it. Your chances of that are pretty slim. You had better be SURE the county will let you do it before spending any money.
After all that I just realized you are talking about an HT-1000 on 420-450MHz. Broward county is on 800MHz.

Last edited:

TheSpoter

Wait, so I have to ask for permission to program the radio and being able to listen to dispatch? I don't plan on operating the radio, just turn it on when I am bored and listen to them. Also, do I need to have an fcc license to have the radio and not operate it?

SmitHans

I'm not familiar with Broward county, but according to the RR database, you should be able to monitor them with a scanner. Unless they run full encryption, why would you need one of their radios?

If they do run full encryption, you will likely have to obtain a radio from them, as they won't program a non-department radio for an unauthorized user. .

Last edited:

DickH

Wait, so I have to ask for permission to program the radio and being able to listen to dispatch? I don't plan on operating the radio, just turn it on when I am bored and listen to them. Also, do I need to have an fcc license to have the radio and not operate it?

Yes, you can put in the freqs. and monitor them legally, but it won't be able to ":trunk" (follow conversations as they change freq. with each transmission). There is special programming for a trunked system and only the system techs. can do it.

For example, if a scanner or radio is on 855.2625 and someone says Car 17 to Car 14 the answer might be on 856.7375 and you'll never hear it. If the scanner is "trunking". it monitors the data stream sent over the control channel and that data tells your scanner to tune to the correct freq. to hear the answer.

Nasby

Or you could always just click on the "Live Audio" section and listen when you are bored. There are several feeds for Broward County.

frazpo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just get a scanner. I was in law enforcemt for 6 years. If you plan on being a cop and are in the explorer program to learn then focus on learning. I've seen young guys ruin their chances of being hired for the simple reason they gained a bad reputation due thinking they are cops and are not. You carrying around a police radio may seem odd to some. Just some advice. Good luck with explorers. There is truly no other job like law enforcement.

KB5ILY

No matter how much you want it to, a 450mhz HT will Not hear anything on 800mhz (trunked or not). A regular scanner would be a better choice or listen to a Live Feed on RR.

TheSpoter

I see your point, I only want one so if I'm driving down the road and I see 10 cops fly past me I want to be able to click on the radio and hear whats going on. Plus, I want one to listen and prepare for my 10 codes test, I see it as a great study tool. Thank you for your advice

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just get a scanner. I was in law enforcemt for 6 years. If you plan on being a cop and are in the explorer program to learn then focus on learning. I've seen young guys ruin their chances of being hired for the simple reason they gained a bad reputation due thinking they are cops and are not. You carrying around a police radio may seem odd to some. Just some advice. Good luck with explorers. There is truly no other job like law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.