• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

R.E.A.C.T. in existance yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'm a member of Central Oklahoma REACT Team 6023. We cover 7 counties and assist with traffic control as requested by local LEO's. We work approximately 15 marathons throughout the year. We also have memorandums of understanding with numerous emergency managers throughout our operating area. We use a UHF LTR system with 5 repeaters and a direct channel. We also use GMRS, UHF business band, 2 meter & 70cm ham bands. Many of our members are trained storm spotters, and we have 3 highly experienced storm chasers also on our team. Some of our older members still monitor CB Chanel 9 but have also adopted the UHF LTR system as well. Our website is www.centralokreact.org make sure and check us out on Facebook & Twitter as well.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.473636,-97.397004

ipfd320

Banned
R.E.A.C.T Team C-47 is still alive and well in Nassau County L.I.N.Y...ive been and still am a dispatcher for them for approx 20 yrs now...here we use gmrs repeated and also go hand in hand with the local hammies on special events...We mostly patrol the pkwy systems but do also help in the aid of any such emergencies on the off pkwy streets

bezking

R.E.A.C.T Team C-47 is still alive and well in Nassau County L.I.N.Y...ive been and still am a dispatcher for them for approx 20 yrs now...here we use gmrs repeated and also go hand in hand with the local hammies on special events...We mostly patrol the pkwy systems but do also help in the aid of any such emergencies on the off pkwy streets

Hah. You guys run Moto MDC 1200 on a GMRS repeater right? I've caught you on scan a few times ...

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 4G

a2phil

I'm now living in a rural area and there isn't good cell phone coverage outside of town. There is a REACT team around here, but haven't heard them on CB, just the local 2 meter repeater...

I'd LIKE to hear them on CB, equipment is cheaper, and you don't need a license (though I'm working on getting one...)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm now living in a rural area and there isn't good cell phone coverage outside of town. There is a REACT team around here, but haven't heard them on CB, just the local 2 meter repeater...

I'd LIKE to hear them on CB, equipment is cheaper, and you don't need a license (though I'm working on getting one...)

Cb is not nearly reliable enough, try checking GMRS repeaters for them as this where most teams operate unless they have hams among them.

n9zas

a2phil

They're licensed hams, trained storm spotters and ARES members...I'll try the GMRS freqs and see what I hear (public safety organizations here use VHF, haven't even programmed the UHF band on the scanner yet...)

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

it's not outside the realm of possibility that you may find a team using the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) as well, especially if they were formerly licensed on either of the upper channels. 151.820; 151.880; 151.940: 154.570: 154.600.

Claudeah

Back in the day a group called "Michigan Emergency Patrol" operated out of the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. They monitored CB channel 9 and assisted motorists on the freeways in and around the city. I remember their call was KBW-5826.

If anyone knows the Ren-Cen you'll understand what kind of coverage MEP had. Probably the tallest building in SE lower Michigan.

Michigan Emergency Patrol broadcast out of the Fisher Building in the new center area of Detroit. They used a studio provided by WJR (AM 760) and MEP's antenea was also on the Fisher Building. I know this because my mother, father, and step-mother were very active in both MEP and REACT. My father, Claude Heise, was president of MEP for many years and was president of Michigan REACT before his death in 1992. MEP was run completely by volunteers and was phased out once Metro Traffic (a paid service) became a stronghold in the Detroit market.

k9rzz

As of a few years ago, REACT was active in Washington County, Wisconsin. They were providing communications and corner marshals for a bicycle event near Holy Hill.

CED6984

In dutchess and Putnam county NY we monitor the cb and ch 9 as much as we can a lot of the members have cb's in there car still , but durning events we use our repeater on gmrs

k8krh

Any REACT in Madison Indiana, do they operate on MURS, no one on on GMRS around here.
DOCTOR

4saturn

Michigan Emergency Patrol

Back in the day a group called "Michigan Emergency Patrol" operated out of the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit. They monitored CB channel 9 and assisted motorists on the freeways in and around the city. I remember their call was KBW-5826.

If anyone knows the Ren-Cen you'll understand what kind of coverage MEP had. Probably the tallest building in SE lower Michigan.

mr weather's memory is a bit foggy. Michigan Emergency Patrol never operated out of the Ren-Cen. That building's construction was not started til 1973 and did not get completed til 1977. Two of the towers did not get completed til 1981. MEP was operating long before that. They were provided a studio in the Fisher Building by radio station WJR(AM 760). This is a tall building but not the tallest in the city. Tallest building north of midtown Detroit. This was located in the New Center Area on West Grand Boulevard near Woodward Avenue. The antenna was located on this building. Their primary radio was a Browning Golden Eagle MKIII. With a second identical radio as a backup. They were featured prominently in a article in either CB Guide or S9 magazine 'back in the day'.

zzdiesel

Is that Radio Emergency Associated Citizens Team thing that monitors Ch. 9 for emergencies and travel assistance still around anywhere in the U.S.A., or have they gone the way of the 8-Track tape player? Even 30 years ago I don't recall hearing them much when I would listen to the 23 channel radio we had as a kid. I heard so much about them, but never really heard any of those guys giving help on Ch. 9. About 12 or 13 years ago, a few of us in my area tried starting a group of them, but interest quickly died off. In retrospect, did they really ever accomplish much, or were they just kind of an unofficial self-proclaimed "good guy" group?
Question is, are they still going? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no because a lot of the Mexicans have taken it over as a "skip" channel.

k8krh

They are still around, they advertise in CQ magazine. They also use ECHOLINK on a few nets, GMRS..also.
DOCTOR/K8LEN

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
We used to have a REACT team here in my little chunk of Wisconsin (central WI), they had a GMRS repeater that really had GREAT coverage (almost as good as the wide-area two meter machine i get on), however as has been said, cellphones came along and pretty much ended any need for CB & REACT. Or put another way, Cellphones killed the REACT/CB radio star :D. N9NRA

kb9gxk

Premium Subscriber
There is only 1 REACT team remaining in Wisconsin. There is a new organization called RSDCA (Radio Services Diversified Communication Association, Inc) with a team in Waukesha and one in Zion, IL

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I contacted REACT back in the late 60's, early 70's, a few times. I was attempting to find some representation of them in S.E. Michigan. The people I spoke with seemed a little weird. They sounded like they were more interested in donations, marketing, and lots of bureaucracy.

They were no help at all. I even inquired as to what it would take to start a group in my area, and they were not interested at all.

The individuals I spoke with definitely had an air about them. I think they thought they were the Homeland Security of that time. I was not impressed with them.

Here's some info and history regarding REACT:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Emergency_Associated_Communication_Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.