Radio recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintfxp

Total newbie here.. What is the cheapest handheld scanner to monitor OPP right now? I'm looking for something easy to program so I can get comfortable but don't want to go for broke, especially with the changes that seem to be happening everywhere.

Thanks in advance :)

gary123

I prefer Uniden hardware. I recommend the BDC436HP if you have a nice budget. It will do everything you would want to monitor. With third market software it is very easy to customize and load everything you want. be advised the scanner is a bit complex for a newbie. Price about $1000 fully loaded.

If you just want OPP I recommend the BCD396T or XT. This is a nice thin scanner that fits well into pockets. I use one as a on scene scanner and for general back up when I wish to monitor several users at the same time. Price about 250 less if you find a used one.

LesWurk

Total newbie here.. What is the cheapest handheld scanner to monitor OPP right now? I'm looking for something easy to program so I can get comfortable but don't want to go for broke, especially with the changes that seem to be happening everywhere.

Thanks in advance :)

Most likely a used unit BC396 or GRE PSR 500. Your right about changes,When a OPP system is getting around 20 years or so a change most likely in the works. My experience most easy programming is by software. 30 day trials will get you up and going on a PSR 500, or for 396 Freescan is free. Make sure you get a cable that works with your computer if you go for computer programming.

bigcam406

I would look for a used GRE PSR 500. pretty cheap and a breeze to program. plus theres a sticky on this forum with the details on how to program GRE for Fleetnet, so you can refer to it for directions.

cdnsnipe

Premium Subscriber
Your best (and cheapest) option for scanning OPP is a used Motorola XTS 3000 model 1. These can be found for ~$150 Cdn plus programming, charger and a good battery will total no more than $250. Uniden/GRE scanners are garbage.

cdnsnipe

Premium Subscriber
uniden scanners are not garbage I really like my BCD996p2

Disclaimer: That is my personal opinion, having owned and used both. I'm glad to hear your scanner works well for you.

I'll elaborate on my opinion with several points:

1) Build quality - The XTS 3000 was designed for heavy duty use in the public safety sector, which includes being exposed to rain, dust, extreme high and low temperatures, being dropped etc. I've had to replace cell phones because of moisture or summer heat in a car, and the same could happen with a scanner.

2) Reception - Especially with trunking systems and receiving signals from multiple sites, better range in fringe areas. No need to find a special place on your shelf where it will pick everything up. It just works like it should.

3) Price - Surplus radios are cheap, cheap compared to commercially sold scanners. Programming is a learning curve, however people out there are willing to do it for you at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:

cdnsnipe

Premium Subscriber
reception is fine with mine I use an outdoor antenna and I paid 369 for the radio took me literally 5min to program it but that's just my experience

Again, I'm happy your setup works well for you. My post was directed to the original poster who is located in Canada. When $369 USD equals $483 Canadian for a scanner, a surplus radio is the cheapest and most reliable way to scan specific talkgroups.

bigcam406

ive had my GRE's for several years and have never had a problem with them. very easy to program by hand,and reception and audio quality is second to none. theres used ones out there that are cheaper than buying a new scanner. just my opinion of course

Status
Not open for further replies.