*Radio Shack Store Closing Thread* All posts about Radio Shack closing go here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

I’ve referred to it affectionately as “Rat Shack” since the 1980s! I still have my Pro-2005 scanner I bought back then. I also regularly use my Rat Shack DX-398 (a relabeled Sangean ATS-909); a portable shortwave receiver that is about 15 years old now, maybe older. Works great!

I miss those days; when Rat Shack was so much more than a cell phone store!
X10,000 on that one! When they started selling phones and quit requiring employees to know how to do anything besides ring up purchases or maybe stumble around and (possibly) help you find something -- from a part number that you already looked up for them -- it was the beginning of the end.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Pro-2006 and Pro-93 were #1. I bought 2 of each.
I think you meant Pro-2006 and Pro-43? Unfortunately the Pro-43 had terminal keypad problems so that finding one that works properly today is nearly impossible. In contrast I have a mint condition Pro-2006 which I purchased recently and it was still in the original box and wrapping. The keys have that new feel to them which is pretty amazing.

I remember going into a Rat Shack about 6 or 7 years ago and asking if they had any digital scanners and the employees didn't even know what that meant. In one store I went into they had a Pro-197 box with new scanner in it being used to hold up a computer monitor at a desk in the back room. The Box had coffee spilled all over it at some point and was pretty ragged so I got them to give me a discount and I got a pretty good deal. They told me they didn't even realize they had a scanner in the store... didn't know what it would be used for either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

stingray327

I think you meant Pro-2006 and Pro-43? Unfortunately the Pro-43 had terminal keypad problems so that finding one that works properly today is nearly impossible. In contrast I have a mint condition Pro-2006 which I purchased recently and it was still in the original box and wrapping. The keys have that new feel to them which is pretty amazing.

I remember going into a Rat Shack about 6 or 7 years ago and asking if they had any digital scanners and the employees didn't even know what that meant. In one store I went into they had a Pro-197 box with new scanner in it being used to hold up a computer monitor at a desk in the back room. The Box had coffee spilled all over it at some point and was pretty ragged so I got them to give me a discount and I got a pretty good deal. They told me they didn't even realize they had a scanner in the store... didn't know what it would be used for either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes I did. I got 2 Pro-43 handhelds 2006, 2005, 2004, 2022 and 2032 ?
I have to check those numbers but I have accumulated a bunch of them over the years.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Yes I did. I got 2 Pro-43 handhelds 2006, 2005, 2004, 2022 and 2032 ?
I have to check those numbers but I have accumulated a bunch of them over the years.

LOL, yup, I've owned all of those. I think the 2022 was the one that you could pop the top, clip one diode, and have cell reception..not that that has any relevance these days where cell phones are digital, but it was a big deal back then to those who saw a value in that sort of thing. But the 2006 and the 43 were like a super big deal when the came out because of having all those channels (for those days), triple conversion, and hyperscan. I still remember them being $400 or $500 like 28 years ago. They were in a locked glass display case, like their most precious item in those days.

Batman_

How are people getting PDF's of radioshack service manuals that are not hand scanned ?
Where PDFs ever released by radio shack ???

stingray327

LOL, yup, I've owned all of those. I think the 2022 was the one that you could pop the top, clip one diode, and have cell reception..not that that has any relevance these days where cell phones are digital, but it was a big deal back then to those who saw a value in that sort of thing. But the 2006 and the 43 were like a super big deal when the came out because of having all those channels (for those days), triple conversion, and hyperscan. I still remember them being $400 or $500 like 28 years ago. They were in a locked glass display case, like their most precious item in those days.

Both of my Pro-43 and 2006 were able to receive cellphone signals.
These scanners worked great until digital and trunking came upon us.

KM4TDM

I had at least three within 20 min of me but they are all shut down! I live in Lexington SC. It as nice to go there if I needed a connector or just a few feet a coax. But they all went out of business...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KM4TDM

I had at least three within 20 min of me but they are all shut down! I live in Lexington SC. It was nice to go there if I needed a connector or just a few feet a coax. But they all went out of business...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm not trying to dump on anyone but we've got 4 1/2 years' worth of postings about Radio Shack going out of business. The nostalgia is pretty much gone. Everyone who frequented the stores has dried their tears and move on. Some of the new guys may not realize this but the demise of Radio Shack is a foregone conclusion now...except, maybe, for that store in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, but I don't think that's gonna have much of an impact on any plans to make a come-back or in the overall scheme of things.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

I'm not trying to dump on anyone but we've got 4 1/2 years' worth of postings about Radio Shack going out of business. The nostalgia is pretty much gone. Everyone who frequented the stores has dried their tears and move on. Some of the new guys may not realize this but the demise of Radio Shack is a foregone conclusion now...except, maybe, for that store in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, but I don't think that's gonna have much of an impact on any plans to make a come-back or in the overall scheme of things.
Well said and you are absolutely right...but so long as this thread exists, I suspect any new posts will be viewed by a whole lot of people hoping that the miracle happens and RS actually does make a comeback.:roll:

I for one need to start ignoring it whenever it pops up in the "Today's Posts" category. (insert highly embarrassed emoji here)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I come here to read folks'es memories and anecdotes and such....

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Well, to quote Frisco Darling, "More power to ya."

Someday, maybe you get closure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.