• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radius M1225 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4HTC

I tried to do a search to avoid duplicate questions but didn't see everything I was looking for.

I recently picked up two surplus UHF M1225 radios.. One looks like it has a full alphanumeric display and the other has a non alphanumeric display. Based on researching the agencies that they came from, both appear to be conventional non trunking models.

I have a few questions.

One of the radios has a power wire that splits off of the main wiring and plugs into the port on the back. It also appears to have some ground wires that are simply cut and go nowhere. The radio works with the wiring connected but not without. Any idea what this was for?

Two, I read something about some software being available for download (possibly free or for a fee?) if if I register (and am approved) for an account with Motorola. If this correct or am I basically SOL on getting the software to program it? (Note: I am only asking if the software can be obtained through an official method)

Finally, what type of coax connector do these use? It doesn't appear to be PL-259 or an N connector.

Thanks!

petnrdx

Off the top of my head, using Alpha-numeric names you get up to 20 channels.
If you just use numbers you can go up to 22 ch. Something on that order.
If the radio(s) are wired for IGNITION sense, then you have to connect switched +12v to one of the pins on the ACC plug.
Good luck with the software.
I don't think Motorola sells it anymore, and would be expensive if the did.
Best to find someone in your area that will program it for you.
The connector is a Mini-UHF.

KN4HTC

Thanks!

I hooked it up to my power supply and it powered up with no trouble. The extra power wire is basically spliced into the main power wire. Is it possible they did this to essentially bypass the ignition sense with a constant 12v source?

petnrdx

That is what it looks like.
I forget how to "disable" IGN sense, but my recollection is that it was not difficult.
Pretty sure the manual for those is available somewhere online.
I remember doing it to a pair that I used for a GR-1225 repeater.

flametamer

Thanks!

I hooked it up to my power supply and it powered up with no trouble. The extra power wire is basically spliced into the main power wire. Is it possible they did this to essentially bypass the ignition sense with a constant 12v source?
Most likely. Here's a pic of the accessory connector pin out.86720
The other "ground" wires you mention could be for an external speaker.

Dt

petnrdx

You remove a pico fuse F401 from the circuit board to "enable" Ign sense.
You would have to replace that little fuse to "disable" ign sense.
That fuse is on the circuit board, just inside where the 16 pin accessory plug solders in.

KN4HTC

Thanks for the help! I'm working on getting a MOL account. Assuming I get access, will I be able to download only the most recent version of the software? And what is the workaround to program amateur frequencies on it? I read that holding down the shift key doesn't work on newer versions of the software?

And I'm working on getting access to either an old computer with xp/older or DOS capabilities.

petnrdx

I don't think there was a DOS version for the 1225. Win 98 was the first that I remember having. I use the XP version now and have no trouble with the shift key method.
Some people don't know that you have to "unshift" for the "." and shift again and fill all the empty spaces for it to work.
147.75000 will look like !$&.&%))) when done right.

KN4HTC

Alright, so I've applied for an account with MOL. Assuming it's approved and I am able to get the software that I need, what interface will I need? Will I be able to connect a cable directly to the radio or will I something between the radio and computer?

Still working on getting an old windows machine. Ha ha.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I have used both the old style programming setup that involved a couple cables with ribbox and about a year ago updated to the usb cable with the ftdi chip and both work about the same, but the single cable is way more convenient..

KN4HTC

Alright, so I found a free Windows 95 computer and I was able to get the software from Motorola.

One question, the computer does not have any USB ports, just serial ports. Do I need anything besides a programming cable with a serial port connector? In lieu of buying one, is it possible to make a programming cable? As long as I know what wires go to what, I'm halfway comfortable with the idea of making the cable.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber

Lots more on ebay. Take your pick.

KN4HTC

Thanks! Is there one that works better? As is USB vs Serial Port? I'll be using a older windows machine and I read that the serial port cables need a RIB unless you are using DOS?

I've got access to a few old computers so if a USB cable will work better, I should be able to find one with a USB port.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
If your PC has a serial port, you’re well advised to use a serial cable.

The cable I pointed out (and many more like it) is “ribless” which means no rib needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.