range issue 436 & 325

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Exactly where are you, and what are you trying to receive?

joerobb23

436 range

hi im in rockland county ny im trying to get trunk systems uhf & 800 from ny city on a 436 7 325 WOrked until about a month ago tried everything talked to uniden also on 325 programmed frequencies as conventional picking up the signal.I think a cell tower or repeater may be a problem. Just spent 40 bucks for an antennae no results. I dont hace an outside antennae. thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You may be SOL unless you get an outside antenna. The towers are 20-40 miles away (depending on where exactly in Rockland County you are located) and UHF is line of sight. The trees and buildings and hills in between are probably blocking the signal.

Most likely what happened is they adjusted the system tower configuration to "spill" less signal into the area surrounding NYC and focus the signal into NYC itself. If that is the case, your only fix is an outdoor antenna with some elevation.

joerobb23

Again thank you i think youre analysis is correct. . I searched multiple blogs etc. No information if thats what happened but i think thats correct. im hoping thay may readjust & signal will come back. Does a phse 2 system cause any issues with signals? Hope i can get a refund on antennae.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If they do that sort of thing, it probably isn't going to be publicized.

Perhaps it's time to look into putting up an outdoor antenna.

joerobb23

ok thanks again another question do i need to program sites? and or ranges etc. as far as i know i never programmed this before and scanner worked fine also quick keys ranges etc. Only because all i did before was select the favorite & scanner worked fine. I reprogrammed everything in sentinel did i miss anything? Thank you

joerobb23

ok one more time on the range & pick up of distance. read on fdny web page where outout was reduced on some channels would that presumably include trunk channels im trying yo pick up if they're om same repeaters? Thank YOu

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That would totally explain your problem. You'll have to set up an outdoor antenna if you want to continue monitoring.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You don't HAVE to set keys for anything. They are optional, so you can conveniently enable and disable items at a more granular level than turning on and off favorite lists.

joerobb23

thanks that was the way i had it set up before my range issue started now im trying to hear a p25 phase 2 from nyc no reception but the p25 phase 2 from my county(rockland) is fine. shouldnt they be coming from same site repeaters etc since thay are both phase 2 still feel scanner is missing a setting???

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Just because NYC and Rockland County both use P25 Phase II doesn't mean they broadcast from the same repeater(s) or tower(s).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
That's not relevant. OP was hearing stuff fine and one day it stopped. It appears the tower config was changed.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If they are simulcast, then all sites are broadcasting on the same set of frequencies. There is no benefit to adding a new site in the scanner, unless you KNOW there is a site broadcasting on frequencies not on the simulcast site list.

Status
Not open for further replies.