Rdio scanner and WiFi port forwarding rules

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Hello. With much effort and tons of hair pulling, I managed to secure a more stable rdio server with a port forwarding rule, NoIP, sdr trunk, and 3 nesdr V5 dongles on Windows PC. Nothing special, I primarily keep the server up simply so some of my group members can hear what I hear, I don't do it for anything other than to be helpful and allow others to listen without needing to have the hardware. I don't charge for it and never will.

Now, if I'm on my home WiFi, I can only listen through radios interact if it's on my laptop. On my phone through the app, it won't connect if I'm on WiFi. If I switch to data, it connects right away.

I was advised I need a new port forwarding rule, could someone explain what the port forwarding rule should look like to allow me to listen on WIFI not data?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hello. With much effort and tons of hair pulling, I managed to secure a more stable rdio server with a port forwarding rule, NoIP, sdr trunk, and 3 nesdr V5 dongles on Windows PC. Nothing special, I primarily keep the server up simply so some of my group members can hear what I hear, I don't do it for anything other than to be helpful and allow others to listen without needing to have the hardware. I don't charge for it and never will.

Now, if I'm on my home WiFi, I can only listen through radios interact if it's on my laptop. On my phone through the app, it won't connect if I'm on WiFi. If I switch to data, it connects right away.

I was advised I need a new port forwarding rule, could someone explain what the port forwarding rule should look like to allow me to listen on WIFI not data?
When you use the WiFi on your cell phone, you need to use the computer IP address and not the outside IP address or no-ip address. No port forwarding rule is needed as the phone WiFi is inside your network.
{edit} Assuming you're using the cellphone WiFi to connect to your network.

Last edited:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
You need to know how to log into your router to set up port forwarding. Check your router for admin login info, if nothing there consult your ISP or router documentation

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
You need to know how to log into your router to set up port forwarding. Check your router for admin login info, if nothing there consult your ISP or router documentation
The OP already has a port forwarding rule. If he didn't then his cellphone using cell data wouldn't connect. I think he knows how to do that. Another rule won't work because the router doesn't permit creating another rule using the same computer IP and port#.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The issue is hairpin NAT. Many consumer routers don’t support this. Adding another port forward won’t correct it.

The only solution is to use the internal IP when on WiFi or find a router that supports hairpin NAT.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
I know how to log into my router. As I said I've already created the port forwarding rule, but can only listen if I'm not on my home network. I was told I need to make another rule so I can listen inside my home network.i can listen on my computer, but not the app.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Post 6 explains your issue. Most off shelf home routers will not allow hairpin. What you may be able to do is signup for a free domain name and point it to your home. then use that on your phone. The phone should go to that external address then be pushed back. I did that for years but finally stopped as if i'm home I'm listening to the radio already.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
Post 6 explains your issue. Most off shelf home routers will not allow hairpin. What you may be able to do is signup for a free domain name and point it to your home. then use that on your phone. The phone should go to that external address then be pushed back. I did that for years but finally stopped as if i'm home I'm listening to the radio already.
Just got a new router, would you be willing to remind me how to create the port forwarding. I know it's port 3000, but I don't know which ip address to use. Do I open command prompt and ask it what my computers IP is and enter that?

lynchy135

Feed Provider
Just got a new router, would you be willing to remind me how to create the port forwarding. I know it's port 3000, but I don't know which ip address to use. Do I open command prompt and ask it what my computers IP is and enter that?
That is dependent on your router manufacturer. Most consumer routers will be either 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. The best thing to do is look up the router brand for the manual and it should note it there.

One additional suggestion while you’re looking up the manual is to look for dynamic DNS or DDNS, the will register your IP (normally for free) to a DNS name so you can just remember that rather than the IP. The bonus is if your IP changes at home, DDNS will update it.

Clats97

Premium Subscriber
That is dependent on your router manufacturer. Most consumer routers will be either 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. The best thing to do is look up the router brand for the manual and it should note it there.

One additional suggestion while you’re looking up the manual is to look for dynamic DNS or DDNS, the will register your IP (normally for free) to a DNS name so you can just remember that rather than the IP. The bonus is if your IP changes at home, DDNS will update it.
I actually use Noip. But my question is for port forwarding rules, I enter port 3000, but don't know what IP address to use. I already know how to login to the router and I set a custom username and a 64 character hex password. My WiFi password is also a 64 character hex password, but I have QuiFi that creates a QR code so people who come to my house don't have to type in basically an AES256 key, they just scan the QR code and boom they're connected to my internet.

lynchy135

Feed Provider
I actually use Noip. But my question is for port forwarding rules, I enter port 3000, but don't know what IP address to use. I already know how to login to the router and I set a custom username and a 64 character hex password. My WiFi password is also a 64 character hex password, but I have QuiFi that creates a QR code so people who come to my house don't have to type in basically an AES256 key, they just scan the QR code and boom they're connected to my internet.
Ah, sorry I misunderstood. If you’re running windows you can open command prompt and run ipconfig and it will show you the IP. If it’s Linux or Mac, ifconfig or ip addr in Terminal