Re-banding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djoelmyers

It is our understanding that the city Police Department in Washington Court House, Ohio has been "re-banding" their radio system. Our triple trunking scanner will not pick up city police traffic any more because of the re-bandment. What does it mean to "Re-band" and if the FCC has granted the police new codes, how do we get a copy of them?

RKG

For the operator of an 800 MHz Motorola SmartNet trunked system, "rebanding" means four things:

1) Changing the frequency of any control channel station that used a frequency of 866.0125 or above; and

2) Changing the frequency of any voice channel that used a frequency of 866.0125 or above; and

3) Updating the system controller to use the "rebanded" table of channel numbers; and

4) Updating subscriber equipment (i.e., portables and mobiles using the system) to use the "rebanded" channel number table and, if done, new control channel frequency.

If you are just a listener, you have to upgrade your receiver to use the "rebanded" channel number table (if possible; I'm not familiar with your equipment) and, if necessary, change the control channels programmed into your receiver to match any changes implemented by the operator of the system you want to listen to.

ampulman

The system in question is an EDACS system. Unfortunately the database doesn't yet have the new frequencies.

With an EDACS system, you need only edit the system frequencies currently in your scanner. Just be sure to maintain the logical channel number order.

You might want to post in your state forum if anyone has the new frequencies. Sooner or later, someone will post the new frequencies.

Amp

djoelmyers

Thank for the help!

Everyone, thanks for your kind help.

I have the pro-162 radio shack and live in Fayette County, Ohio.

*mciupa- I entered the new codes, except now, I messed up my scanner.

I have the codes as:

BANK ZERO
0) BLANK
1) 851.20000 ED
2) 851.75000 ED
3) 852.45000 ED
4) 853.13750 ED
5) 853.68750 ED

BANK ONE
0) 124.6950 FM
1) 151.3250 FM
2) 155.2200 FM
3) 33.9400 FM
4) 154.1150 FM
5) 0.0000 (LOCKED OUT)
6) 154.2050 FM
7) 154.3550 FM
8) 155.2800 FM
9) 155.4150 FM
10) 151.1000 FM

I still am not picking up the triple trunking.

It is scanning but before the city rebannded, it would scan and then stop on Sub bank 1 for a second after each scan, then start scanning again. It looked something like this (http://i49.tinypic.com/2e57b81.jpg)

Now it just constantly scans and doesn't stop on anything unless a transmission comes in.

I have the manual, but I don't understand the talk groups and such.

Also, I never noticed before, but the scanner has a new bank called "ss"

Last edited:

sjlamb

You now need to program in some of the talkgroups that are shown for this system in the RR database. In the alternative, you can set the scanner to scan this system in "Open" mode and it wil stop on ANY active system talkgroups that in comes across.

In "Closed" mode, the scanner will only stop on active talkgroups that YOU have programmed into memory. Since you apparently haven't programmed any, it won't stop on anything in "Closed" mode until you do.

PS... 124.695 is an aircraft frequency. Mode should be set to AM.

Last edited:

djoelmyers

??

You now need to program in some of the talkgroups that are shown for this system in the RR database. In the alternative, you can set the scanner to scan this system in "Open" mode and it wil stop on ANY active system talkgroups that in comes across.

In "Closed" mode, the scanner will only stop on active talkgroups that YOU have programmed into memory. Since you apparently haven't programmed any, it won't stop on anything in "Closed" mode until you do.

PS... 124.695 is an aircraft frequency. Mode should be set to AM.

Thanks for your help!

All I have to do now is open the trunking codes? (I havent programmed any talkgroups)

Also, I am aware that it is an aircraft freq. I listen to the local airport traffic. (Yeah, it's a small one. One aircraft a week)

j86u

Also, I never noticed before, but the scanner has a new bank called "ss"

That is the Signal Stalker log bank. This is where the frequencies that you pick up with Signal Stalker are automatically stored. You can turn this bank on and off like the other banks and it is reset when you turn the scanner off.

sjlamb

Thanks for your help!

All I have to do now is open the trunking codes? (I havent programmed any talkgroups)

I don't know what you mean by "trunking codes". You need do one of two things to scan this EDACS system. Read your manual to learn to do the following:

(1) How to search for active talkgroups using "Open" Mode. This will let your hear active talkgroups on the system even if you have not programmed any yet. This means that the scanner will stop on EVERY active radio it comes across whther you're interested in hearing them or not (public works, trash collectors, school buses, utility workers, etc.)

(2) How to scan in "Closed" Mode ONLY those talkgroups (talkgroup IDs) that YOU have programmed into your scanner. Closed Mode scanning is often preferred as it let's YOU decide which types of users or agencies will be scanned.

Talkgroup IDs can be entered in either Decimal or AFS format... your choice. I personally prefer AFS format for Edacs systems.

Today's scanners are complicated in order to deal with the very complicated communications systems that they receive. The end result is that it takes time to absorb all the information required to properly program and use this kind of equipment. You need to spend more time studying your manual; particuarly those sections dealing with:

(1) How to program trunked radio systems.

(2) Closed Mode operation

(3) Open Mode operation

(4) How to add talkgroup ID #s.

(5) How to add Alpha Tags to Systems, Groups and Talkgroups (also referred to as "Text Tagging")

As an alternative to the confusing manual; check out this site: http://marksscanners.com/97/97.shtml

While it does not specifically address your Pro-162; most of the information applies and is "close enough for government work".

Last edited:

sjlamb

I checked out the link you provided. Does this site contain a list of potential dates for rebanding? I'd like to find out when departments near me will reband and thus far can not locate this info.

This should have been posted in a Private Message as it has nothing to do with the OP's thread.

MaxMan1986

This should have been posted in a Private Message as it has nothing to do with the OP's thread.

What??? The thread is about rebanding and the question he asked was about rebanding. Also, I see no reason for a PM as nothing in the post was of a private nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.