Re-chargeable batteries - how long should they re-charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scansomd

I have several NIMH batteries for my BC 250 D (A notorious battery hog when utilized with the digital card):

The OEM model BP-250: 4.8 Volts, 1500 mAh
A batteries America model BP-120XS: 4.8 Volts, 2000 mAh
A batteries America model BP-120 / 250: 4.8 Volts, 2100 mAh

My question is this:

How long should I charge these batteries before they are fully charged?

In the past I would charge my BP-120XS for 24 hours. Recently I have
noticed that it doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as it used to. I have
always been diligent in waiting until the battery fully discharges before
charging it again.

My recently acquired BP-120 / 250 states on the front:
"Plug in full charge = 36 hours max"

Any advice from those in the know?

flyingwolf

Old School
Simple. As long as the charger says it takes to charge. Remember rechargable batteries do soon loose thier power and have to be replaced. They can only be recharged so many times. Most good charges will charge until the baterie is fully charged then drain a little and recharge again to full. The good ones will anyway.

Read the direction for the charger and it will tel you how long it can go and how long it takes to recharge.

scansomd

The charger does not state how long to charge it :eek:
So, back to my original question....

flyingwolf said:
Simple. As long as the charger says it takes to charge. Remember rechargable batteries do soon loose thier power and have to be replaced. They can only be recharged so many times. Most good charges will charge until the baterie is fully charged then drain a little and recharge again to full. The good ones will anyway.

Read the direction for the charger and it will tel you how long it can go and how long it takes to recharge.

N

N_Jay

scansomd said:
The charger does not state how long to charge it :eek:
So, back to my original question....

flyingwolf said:

If the charger is less that 0.1 of the capacity you are usually safe up to 24 hours, and even longer.

i.e. 2000MAH, charge at 200 MA for 12 tro 24 hours

You can also get fancy and check the temp.
NiCD and NiMH warm up when full.

There are all type of fancy charger circuits in you look.

Status
Not open for further replies.