• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

(Novice) Preparing 28 UHF Police/EMS XTS3000 Model II For Sale. What Needs To Be Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreaktor

I concur. These aren't consumer grade toys. These are professional tools intended for professional use. Slapping GMRS into them and selling them at yard sales isn't a responsible thing to do IF one cares about being part of what could potentially generate interference for legitimate GMRS licensees/repeaters/users, but if you think the FCC is going to come busting down doors- it ain't gonna happen and as much I'd like to believe one would get the same treatment as those assisting with straw purchasing guns would- the FCC is a JOKE and does NOT CARE about anything except pandering to the wireless cartels.

They don't even give a rats behind when rogue BDA/DAS generate harmful interference to our so-called protected NPSPAC 800MHz frequencies. Ask me how I know. But yes, one should do the right thing and either sell them deprogrammed (ideally one conventional channel has to be setup but could be RX only) or unload them at a hamfest as Gary suggested.
How does selling the radios without programming prevent someone from using them without a license or irresponsibly? I have no experience and I’m capable of acquiring what’s needed to do whatever I want with them in hours, so how is it my responsibility to ensure someone else uses them properly? All I can do is pay the $70 for the license myself, which I will. The same goes for selling and using the prosumer drones I do. You can’t gatekeep a hobby. That’s the job of the regulatory body.

clbsquared

How does selling the radios without programming prevent someone from using them without a license or irresponsibly? I have no experience and I’m capable of acquiring what’s needed to do whatever I want with them in hours, so how is it my responsibility to ensure someone else uses them properly? All I can do is pay the $70 for the license myself, which I will. The same goes for selling and using the prosumer drones I do. You can’t gatekeep a hobby. That’s the job of the regulatory body.
By selling the radios with a factory default codeplug, you’ve done your due diligence NOT to facilitate in any nefarious behavior. You’ve essentially released yourself of any wrong doing. After that, it’s on the buyer to follow the rules/law.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
They look like the radios recently auctioned off by Burlington County NJ. Curious if the communications group did any de-programming, I'm guessing they didn't. Probably doesn't matter as the system they were on went off the air long before the radios were auctioned off.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I wouldn't sweat it. Program them for analog GMRS and leave it to the buyer to behave. You are saving them from the landfill and taking cheap chinese radios off the air at same time. Nevermind the trolls. It is a free country,

phreaktor

So far- All 90 spare batteries have date codes ranging from 2012-2019. All but two took full charge from 7.78VDC-8.58VDC, so that is a good start for eval. Next step is testing ability to hold charge and capacity under load. I'm going to modify one of the Motorola car charger bays to serve as part of a custom capacity testing circuit. It's definitely worth it because I paid $1.00-$1.50 for each spare battery and recent sold prices for used batteries of my models range from $20.00 each to 2/$50. Building the rig should be a fun project. I'm carefully evaluating and accurately listing each piece of equipment as I take my business reputation very seriously. I also ordered a few missing power knobs and channel dials for $6 shipped a set. Looking at recent sales activity, I think these will do better than has been estimated here thus far.

The FTDI-USB cable also came in. I just need to find the AC adapter for one of the old laptops in my shop, install the Astro Saber CPS on Win7 32 bit and I will be in business for programming and testing. I also have my GMRS license. Even though there was no test, i still feel kind of proud lol.

mbnv992

Man, you are sinking in WAY too much of your time for these radios. I value my time way more than you I suppose - but to me - going through all that is definitely NOT worth it.

If you enjoy doing it - I guess that’s a different story. You aren't going to be making much of a profit on these though. If you managed to score some APX radios for super cheap - that’s a different story ( as well as how you got them for super cheap haha ).

clbsquared

Man, you are sinking in WAY too much of your time for these radios. I value my time way more than you I suppose - but to me - going through all that is definitely NOT worth it.

If you enjoy doing it - I guess that’s a different story. You aren't going to be making much of a profit on these though. If you managed to score some APX radios for super cheap - that’s a different story ( as well as how you got them for super cheap haha ).

He’s taking the initiative that many people lack. He’s learning, he’s teaching himself and will no doubt be better off for it. While I agree that he’s spending more time and effort on these EOL radios than you or I would, he is in a different category. I commend him for his persistence and desire to learn. Most people have a hand out and want you to give give give.

mbnv992

He’s taking the initiative that many people lack. He’s learning, he’s teaching himself and will no doubt be better off for it. While I agree that he’s spending more time and effort on these EOL radios than you or I would, he is in a different category. I commend him for his persistence and desire to learn. Most people have a hand out and want you to give give give.

Fair enough you do have a point there. Plus if he does manage to program these all for GMRS and legitimate GMRS licensed users end up buying them - they are much better then what’s on the market for GMRS radios today. Especially those cheap Chinese garbage.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Just don't expect a long life cycle. Astro 25 radios are becoming "teenagers" and already, EEPROM and "leaky cap" failures are plaguing them. The first gen Astro stuff is over TWO DECADES old for the most part, and thus, many of these subscribers saw hard lives being carried 12-16 hours a day with long hours of actual run time. The first things to fail are the EEPROMs which hold the internal and external codeplugs including the tuning partitions. While the chips are cheap (for now), it takes someone with skill and unmentionable tools (if one has a backup of the unspoken records) or complete retune/realign from scratch, both of which require way more tools, test equipment and skill set than one can obtain on a hobbyist forum.

That being said, have fun.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Polished turds do a lot better than a pile of you know what. Even though the 3000's are a step up from a MTS that can do digital, similar ages now. A nice presentation of photos and cleaned radios do a lot more than dusty blurry pics on an old bed sheet. Someone with an MTS can utilize their accessories with the XTS. I think you will do somewhat well on these depending on your pricing and presentation and of course market demand. There will probably be someones buying them for a utility radio, a pair of GMRS, maybe a few listings as a pair of them will sweeten the deal. Or someones looking to upgrade their MTS they still have and missed the xts5000/2500 listings. So maybe a nice healthy promoted listing will help

com501

Since the displays for XTS3000s are NLA, I listed a ton of them on eBay, display- radio included for $50.

phreaktor

I’m reading up in the Part 95 rules to learn more about GMRS. I’m at a wall with the CPS software. I’ve been able to get the computer to recognize the radio in the software so that’s a start. I have no idea where to start other than understanding the where the tx/rx frequencies and codes are entered for each personality. Is there anyone here I can message that’s willing to walk me through setting up the first unit including how to map each softkey and enable/disable necessary features? Also, how much of the original code plug needs to be wiped out?

I appreciate the feedback thus far as it’s been helpful to wrap my head around this as a newbie.

phreaktor

I’ve hit what could be a major problem. I’m tinkering in the CPS and made a couple minor changes to button configuration. When I try to write to the radio, I get an error saying it cannot write without the Advanced System Key. Is anyone familiar with this situation? If I understand correctly, the radio was not properly decommissioned and is locked from any modification.

Last edited:

prcguy

Were these used in a trunking system? If so there could be some trunking stuff left over in the programming and it wants a system key. I ran across something like this in a 2500 and had to find and kill the offending items.

I’ve hit what could be a major problem. I’m tinkering in the CPS and made a couple minor changes to button configuration. When I try to write to the radio, I get an error saying it cannot write without the Advanced System Key. Is there a workaround for this? Is anyone familiar with this situation? If I understand correctly, the radio was not properly decommissioned and is locked from any modification.

clbsquared

I’ve hit what could be a major problem. I’m tinkering in the CPS and made a couple minor changes to button configuration. When I try to write to the radio, I get an error saying it cannot write without the Advanced System Key. Is anyone familiar with this situation? If I understand correctly, the radio was not properly decommissioned and is locked from any modification.
This is one of the major problems with buying surplus radios at auction. Advanced System Keys are placed on radios to prevent tampering with the codeplug. When they are taken out of service and sent out to auction, no one de programs them. You may be able to use the ASK removal tool. Google will be your friend for that one. There’s other software that can be used but not spoken of.
Long story short, if you can’t remove the ASK, you’ve got a pallet full of doorstops and paper weights.

clbsquared

Were these used in a trunking system? If so there could be some trunking stuff left over in the programming and it wants a system key. I ran across something like this in a 2500 and had to find and kill the offending items.

An Advanced System Key is different than what you are referring to. You’re referring to a software system key that allows you to edit the trunking parameters of the codeplug as well as creating new trunking systems. System keys aren’t needed to make changes to button assignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.