Receiving signals from noaa weather satellites using malachite sdr

merlin

is there any geostationary satellite which is possible to get reception from in the 100-500 mhz range?
No, the geosats downlink is in the 2.4 GHz band. people get 24/7 transmisions from GOES 16 @ 75.2 degrees and GOES 17 @ 137.2
using cheap WiFi grid dish antennas.
The standby GOES 14 @ 105 west transmits LRIT at slower data rates.
A lot of neat stuff from these birds.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
You seem to have the Malahit in the CW FT8 mode. You either need to be in WFM or FM mode.
The other 5 pix are my settings - turn the preamp on in the "Radio" menu though.

Attachments

• vs240814-002.jpg
    vs240814-002.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 8
  • vs240814-003.jpg
    vs240814-003.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 6
  • P1001324.JPG
    P1001324.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 8
  • P1001325.JPG
    P1001325.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 6
  • P1001326.JPG
    P1001326.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 7
  • P1001328.JPG
    P1001328.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P1001327.JPG
    P1001327.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
No, the geosats downlink is in the 2.4 GHz band. people get 24/7 transmisions from GOES 16 @ 75.2 degrees and GOES 17 @ 137.2
using cheap WiFi grid dish antennas.
The standby GOES 14 @ 105 west transmits LRIT at slower data rates.
A lot of neat stuff from these birds.
I cannot find the referenced post; but are you actually referring to the GOES satellites just below 1.7 GHz . (The GOES satellite do not use 2.4 GHz.) Note the signal is not what it used to be and is digital and quite wide now.

chapi

VK3RX, the malahit is in the NFM mode, WFM does not improve reception.

Please see attached pictures for complete setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 9

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
VK3RX, the malahit is in the NFM mode, WFM does not improve reception.

Please see attached pictures for complete setup.
Re your first pix - in the Mode screen deselect "CW" and "FT8" i.e. so they are not green - they may be your issue.

And in your second pix - turn on the Preamp.

Yes, the satellites will be best received NFM.

I have a pass in 17 minutes here of NOAA 18 @ 10°.

chapi

I’m selecting NFM, but cw is still there..

It should be fm, since lm able to get the weather fm Chanel.

Can you please take a video of your noaa’s reception?

I guess wer’e close, 15 is coming now..

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Here's a screen shot - no point posting a video because the signal is there but barely audible due to low elevation and a discone.

You should be able to deselect CW in the mode screen - it just toggles on and off, and on in NFM mode might be affecting something.

Attachments

• NOAA 18.jpg
    NOAA 18.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 4

chapi

Yes, I was able to get rid of the cw and FT8 in the mode screen, thanks.

Have received good audio In the past? I’ll wait for the next pass to see if it will work with the new settings.

merlin

I cannot find the referenced post; but are you actually referring to the GOES satellites just below 1.7 GHz . (The GOES satellite do not use 2.4 GHz.) Note the signal is not what it used to be and is digital and quite wide now.
Info was from wikipedia, may be obsolete or incorrect. I do recall there is a 1.7 GHz downlink, I used a pad antenna on a 1.2 meter dish, but all that stuff is salted away on an old drive. Also on the dish, I mounted a 7 element crossed Yagi for 137 MHZ all on a mount controlled by WXtrack

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Info was from wikipedia, may be obsolete or incorrect. I do recall there is a 1.7 GHz downlink, I used a pad antenna on a 1.2 meter dish, but all that stuff is salted away on an old drive. Also on the dish, I mounted a 7 element crossed Yagi for 137 MHZ all on a mount controlled by WXtrack
show how wikipedia has mistakes. The never use 2.4 GHz. Some people re-purpose 2.4 GHz antennas though to receive the 1.7 GHz probably causing the confusion. Receiving GOES Weather Satellite HRIT with an SDRplay and 2.4 GHz WiFi Grid Antenna

ArloG

No reason for getting all sussed. The grid antennas work well. You can investigate for yourself. A patch antenna is great for inmarsat l band reception. I made my own patch antenna with copper from the hobby store. The signals are so strong that they scream in through a window and still receivable through walls if pointed in the right direction.
From the design sample I used. Instead of using spacers cut to 6mm. I used nylon hardware and poly coax foam. So adjusting panel separation really allows for tweaking to get maximum signal

NOAA apt sats. do have l band emissions. But unlike 137 MHz, you need a tracker to receive them.
For GOES. There many designs using a helical antenna wound LHCP and larger DBS dish antenna. Signals come down RHCP but when a reflector is used, you have the mirror effect.

A standard 2.4 GHz grid antenna will work okay with GOES sats. But they use an L dipole that really benefits when trimmed for 1.6 GHZ.
I'm not sure if the Nooelec kit comes with the antenna mod. So can't attest to that.
I use a Nooelec LANA. No filtering. Just a good, high gain preamp with bias tee. It performs very well. Filtering I'm sure would help for the purpose specific preamps they offer.

If you're really into long term 137 MHz APT reception. Just spend some time and build a quadrifiler helix antenna. Use the J Coppens model from the designer calculation. Make it as accurate as you can. Use high quality coax like LMR-400. You'll have as close as the same antenna that beams the signals down. And they work great in horizon to horizon reception.
And. I'm not speculating. This comes from hands-on experience and a ton of googlin'.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
No reason for getting all sussed. The grid antennas work well. You can investigate for yourself. A patch antenna is great for inmarsat l band reception. I made my own patch antenna with copper from the hobby store. The signals are so strong that they scream in through a window and still receivable through walls if pointed in the right direction.
From the design sample I used. Instead of using spacers cut to 6mm. I used nylon hardware and poly coax foam. So adjusting panel separation really allows for tweaking to get maximum signal

NOAA apt sats. do have l band emissions. But unlike 137 MHz, you need a tracker to receive them.
For GOES. There many designs using a helical antenna wound LHCP and larger DBS dish antenna. Signals come down RHCP but when a reflector is used, you have the mirror effect.

A standard 2.4 GHz grid antenna will work okay with GOES sats. But they use an L dipole that really benefits when trimmed for 1.6 GHZ.
I'm not sure if the Nooelec kit comes with the antenna mod. So can't attest to that.
I use a Nooelec LANA. No filtering. Just a good, high gain preamp with bias tee. It performs very well. Filtering I'm sure would help for the purpose specific preamps they offer.

If you're really into long term 137 MHz APT reception. Just spend some time and build a quadrifiler helix antenna. Use the J Coppens model from the designer calculation. Make it as accurate as you can. Use high quality coax like LMR-400. You'll have as close as the same antenna that beams the signals down. And they work great in horizon to horizon reception.
And. I'm not speculating. This comes from hands-on experience and a ton of googlin'.
Do you have a copy or reference of the plans for the patch antenna by any chance?

Thanks
Joel

Last edited:

ArloG

Tons out there. Mine is basically the same. Only difference is the spacing of the patch was a bit "fat" from radiator to backplane and used the insulation from a chunk of LMR-400/9913 insulation and nylon hardware so I could adjust the spacing.
Watch your received signal strength and turn each screw to compress the insulation equally. From the rear of the backplane, of course.
The coax connection is correct for RHCP. For LHCP, you drill and solder the coax center 90 degrees on the patch. Where you would experiment using it on a dish reflector.