regency hx1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmx77

i recently have aquired an old regency hx1500. i found it as-is in a computer recycle store in the as-is section. the way it was found was with super old leaked corroded ni-cad rechargeable batteries still in it. i had taken the batteries out and cleaned the corrosion off as best i could and i tried to power it from a power adapter i happen to have and the first one i tried it didnt do anything but the second one i plugged in it smoked. i wonder if there is anyone that does repairs on this type of radio and also i would like to know how the unit works. this is my first ham radio and i have been searchin for something cheap to have as a ham i didnt pay much at all for this thing cause of what it was and that there wasnt anything with it. but i would want to know how the radio works like feature wise and if there are people out there that repair this type of thing. i read online that there are people that say this radio is rare now to even have. anyone that has one or a couple usually hold onto them for parts since they dont show up to often. i checked on google to find any info on places that repair them in the seattle area but what i have found is more of places selling new equipment and acesseries for the units they sell. any information would be appreciated

fineshot1

You are saying that this is a ham radio, but it is not.

It is simply an older model scanner that is obsolete.

I had its prior version - the HX1200 and that was a
very lousy scanner in its day.

If you let the smoke out of the 1500 I can assure
you it is not worth resurrecting it.

The repair bill would be probably be enough to
purchase another one or two older model scanners.

rmx77

the reason why i think its a ham radio is because of the low low range it says it receives which is ham frequencies and also it has a push to talk button on the side with a lock switch. i dont know much bout it other then people having frequency error problems with theirs. the radio receives 30-50, 144-174, 440-512, 118-136 which is more ham frequencies then anything else. maybe someone knows a bit more bout it then i do

reedeb

I had the 1200 in the late 80's and I loved it till I dropped it and it died. BEST portable scanner I had at the time.

fineshot1

the reason why i think its a ham radio is because of the low low range it says it receives which is ham frequencies and also it has a push to talk button on the side with a lock switch. i dont know much bout it other then people having frequency error problems with theirs. the radio receives 30-50, 144-174, 440-512, 118-136 which is more ham frequencies then anything else. maybe someone knows a bit more bout it then i do

The so called PTT button is not functional for PTT. If I recall correctly it only turns on the LCD back light.
The only ham freq ranges it receives are 144-148 and 440-450, the rest is commercial spectrum.
There are no single commercial two way radios that can transmit in all those freq ranges, IT IS A SCANNER and has no transmit capability.

I had the 1200 in the late 80's and I loved it till I dropped it and it died. BEST portable scanner I had at the time.

Yes - the 1200 I had, had an awesome receiver but it also generated a million birdies and was useless
in search mode and was only able to use it to listen to one freq at a time. I was so frustrated with it that I made it fly.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Regency HX1500

You are saying that this is a ham radio, but it is not.

It is simply an older model scanner that is obsolete.

I had its prior version - the HX1200 and that was a
very lousy scanner in its day.

If you let the smoke out of the 1500 I can assure
you it is not worth resurrecting it.

The repair bill would be probably be enough to
purchase another one or two older model scanners.

I once owned a Regency HX-1500. Although it is now obsolete, it was a solid radio. If I am not mistaken, this radio had shielding inside to help reduce interference. I loved this radio. In fact, I liked most Regency scanners with the exception of the MX-7000 (keypad died).

But, I agree, it is not worth the cost of repair since it is indeed obsolete for most applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.