Repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited

Hi,

I recently went to Radioo Shack and the worker there knew quite a bit about scanners and how they work. But he was busy with a few other customers so he wasnt able to help me before I had to leave. Anyway, I have a PRO-106 and I scan FIRE, EMS, POLICE. Most the time I listen to FIRE/EMS. And he said he has the same scanner and he has his set up similar to mine. And I asked why I dont hear the tones for when the FIRE gets dispatched out to a strutcture fire or speical duty call. I just hear the voice for it. He told me I needed to program a repeater into the scanner and then I should hear the tones. But, that lies to problem. I have no idea where to find the repeaters information and I have no clue how to program it into the scanner. If anyone can help me that would be great. I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Thanks

SignalSeeker

Premium Subscriber
*** edited*** I didn't read the last of the post before responding.

The freqs are here on the website, not sure if you need to be a subscriber to get them though. If you are hearing two-way traffic, you should be hearing the tones.

Are you doing a scan of preset freqs? Or are you doing a search of a band of freqs?

Justin

Last edited:

Unlimited

Sioux Falls doesnt use freqs. We have talkgroups.

But, there are freqs. in it like the system freqs.

Anyway, I hear the tones for FIRE/EMS when they both get dispatched out together. And it always comes over the EMS side. Once in awhile it will come over FIRE, but thats happens once in a blue moon. But, whenever the FIRE gets called out to a structure fire or like a car accident I never hear tones.

They dispatch on one channel (Channel 6). And when they say they are "responding" they go over Channel 1. So Ch. 6 is basiclly like a paging channel for them. They never use that channel to talk for fire grounds. But, I never hear the tones for just when Fire gets called out.

And the guy at RadioShack said he had the same problem with his until he added a repeater to it. Then he was able to hear the FIRE tones.

-Zach

JoeyC

"Tones" generally don't go over the trunked system. There is probably a conv freq used for paging. Often it is one of the "old" freqs used before the department went trunked.

Have you tried 155.88 as listed in the Database?

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
"Tones" generally don't go over the trunked system. There is probably a conv freq used for paging. Often it is one of the "old" freqs used before the department went trunked.

But some systems do, Denton County Texas fire is one system close by to me that does tone out over the TRS. The local FD uses VHF-HI for the paging to the stations. The water departmeny also uses the same freq for data to and from different pumping stations and the OEM uses it for the outdoor warning system.

K

kb0nly

Sioux Falls has a conventional frequency that they use for Paging. The departments still carry analog pagers. They also give the same info over the talkgroup sometimes after sending the page out, for those that carry radios full time.

Listening to the statewide system this seems to be the norm. Brookings county uses their old analog county fire channel for paging, they also use the EMS channel for ambulance. Deuel county does the same, i know someone on the ambulance service they still carry Minitor pagers.

The "Repeater" the guy was talking about at the store is the old county fire repeater now used for analog comms, handhelds, etc.

154.415 Mhz this is also patched to TG 23440, so if someone is talking on SR and using that talkgroup you will also hear it on this frequency.

155.880 Mhz is where the paging is done yet, the Two-Tone page goes out here.

Unlimited

ok, so...

Would there be a way to program a repeater into the scanner?
Im not that good at programming scanners yet.

JoeyC said:

Yes, I have that in the database.

K

kb0nly

You don't program in a repeater, just the frequency, or output frequency, of the repeater you want to listen to.

In this case make sure you have 155.880 for the pages and TG 23440 on the state radio system and you will hear all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.