Requesting New Buchanan County VA Scanner Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

anelson5004

Does anyone have the new Buchanan County Virginia Scanner Frequency? I am no longer receiving them. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

W4UVV

Buchanan Co. frequencies

Here are my Buchanan Co. database frequencies:

(Mhz)
Fire/EMS: 45.4000
453.6375 127.3
453.8625 143.5
453.9000 100
453.9875 100.0

Police: 39.6800 146.2
159.1500 103.5

John
W4UVV

anelson5004

Thank you so much John. I believe that Buchanan County Sheriffs Office has went Digital. I was using 159.150, with PL of 103.5, and 151.775, with PL 114.8. 151.775, is coming across my RadioShack Pro 197 is coming across with an encrypted noise but 159.150 is completely silent. Do you know if the 151.0025 is digital, and the type of radio system that Buchanan County Sheriffs Office is using?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Just checked the FCC DB and it is not showing those frequencies to be digital. Still showing FM and NFM. But just because it is listed in the DB as non-digital, does not mean they haven't switched and not notified the FCC. Unfortunately sometimes the agencies switch before the notify the FCC. The last modification made was in 2012 when they went NFM.

Another way to see if they have switched to digital or change PL tones is to set the frequencies to a PL Code search in the 197. If you're programming using software, just change you PL Code to search and it will pick up the new tone if they have changed.

Last edited:

W4UVV

KTY939

Dafe 1 er basically posted my response as I was responding. KTY939 as posted is licensed for analog emissions operation only. If the Sheriff's Office is operating using a digital emission then the county's analog emissions license either should be modified or a new license issued. I saw 154.8900 mhz. but chose not to list it because is the input frequency to the 159.1500 mhz. repeater. 151.0025 mhz. simplex is TAC.

Here is the same KTY939 FCC database link as Dafe 1 er posted opened to the emissions designator sub-link.

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Conventional License - KTY939 - BUCHANAN, COUNTY OF - Frequencies Summary

John
W4UVV

anelson5004

I did as you suggested, and its transmitting like its encrypted, but I have heard various VA troopers assigned to Buchanan County, advise there dispatch that they "heard on the scanner" which leads me to think that they are not encrypted.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I did as you suggested, and its transmitting like its encrypted, but I have heard various VA troopers assigned to Buchanan County, advise there dispatch that they "heard on the scanner" which leads me to think that they are not encrypted.

OK, even though it sounds "encrypted" does not mean it is. Some of the digital modes (MOTOTRBO, NEXEDGE) sound "encrypted" on a scanner. It just depends on what exactly the sound is.

Does it sound like voice inversion?
Does it sound like R2D2 from Star Wars?
Does it sound like a motorboat sound?

Depending on what it sounds like, we might be able to figure it out.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
I like how you are the first person in 10 years to figure out how to break my screen name down W4UVV!

And davewhall29 beat me to posting...lol

I am thinking good ole' MOTOTRBO. Smaller County and the State has no inter op.

That's what I'm figuring. I'm seeing that all over TN especially in the smaller counties that don't have the money to connect to the statewide 700/800 P25 system being built here but still want to "upgrade" their radio systems.

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
CHOKE.....lol

They were selling like hot cakes all over by me for the re-banding issues for these smaller Counties a year going on two now and they are all starting to look at the P25 side of things because one there is a APCO25 grant and two they found out the hard way they got screwed on MOTOTRBO.

Maybe at one point SOME political "leader" somewhere will actually listen to a constituent. NOT!

W4UVV

Buchanan Co.--Bad News

I previously refrained posting what I suspected had happened until I was able to confirm with one of SW VA sources. My suspicion initially was raised when browsing Buchanan Co. licenses I noticed the owner of a commercial LTR for a 173.1250 mhz. license was listed as a contact. As best as can be determined Buchanan Co. so far, the SO and possibly the VFD now are NXDN users on the Two Way Radio Service Co. commercial LTR (WQFD461) located on Keene Mtn. Although licensed for both analog and NXDN operation, odds are it is 100% NXDN.

If someone in the SW VA monitoring area wishes to take the time and effort to configure a MOTOTRBO, NXDN, NEXEDGE, P25 Phase 1 receive system using DSD Plus software, some or possibly all NXDN comms could be monitored IF an initial user LTR default frequency in the group is used. I doubt the NXDN transmissions are encrypted. DSD Plus will not track trunked systems.

Like it or not more smaller Virginia law enforcement/local govt./fds are converting typically to MOTOTRBO, NXDN and P25 Phase 1 to a lesser degree.

Contrary to what you may read on posts disparaging MOTOTRBO and NXDN audio, my experience using DSD Plus and Win 7 desktop audio card is the MOTOTRBO,NXDN and P25 audio digital audio is good and no white noise.

Here is the analog/NXDN link for WQFD461:

ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQFD461 - TWO WAY RADIO SERVICE CO. INC

John
W4UVV

anelson5004

New Buchanan County VA Sheriffs Department Digital Scanner Frequency

Is there a chance I could pick up Buchanan County Sheriffs Department if I programmed 173.125 as an LTR system? Any help on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
anelson5004

anelson5004

Buchanan County Digital Radio system

This link doesn't tell me the type of system that they went with, furthermore if it is encrypted?

thanks
anelson5004

W3DMV

I'm sorry you were unhappy with my response but I can't do all your dirty
work for you since I don't live in Buchanan County. I presented what information
I was able to locate to help narrow down the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.