Alinco: Review: Alinco DJ-MD5T Series DMR Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Like what?
If the sending person isn't in your 'digital contacts' list, nothing but the DMR ID will be displayed, you knew that part, right?
What issues are you having?

wrath

I really do appreciate all of the information and suggestions that all of you took the time to post here in this thread.

I have decided that the DJ-MD5T is more radio than I need in starting into HAM radio therefore I have purchased a Yaesu FT-60R instead. Bought is new from HRO along with the RT Systems software and cable. I read many, many good reviews on it and I feel that I can't go wrong with my purchase. I will be taking my Technician exam next week so it won't be long before I can get on the air with it. I am looking forward to that day.

Thanks again for your help. ;) :D(y)(y)
Here's some free advice , when you decide to upgrade your radio ignore anything with bling ,many times the stuff that looks like trash ,is the stuff that works the best .

Here's an important one buy more radio then you plan to use ,buy something that is feature packed ,that way should you get bored at some point and want to explore ,instead of busting out the wallet ,you just go into a different area of the radio and play ,ham radio is all about playing with radios ,so save your money ,buy feature packed .this advice has made sense and probably saved me a dumpster full of money , in the future if you invest in a new radio to be able to play Analog as well as digital the king and queen of radios.

YAESU FT 2 DR it gives you dual band 2/70 APRS,DMR,FUSION going thru a hotspot it will transcode DMR to Fusion and vice versa without buying a cheap chinese radio or an expensive Motorola/Hytera

Kenwood 74A TRI BAND Analog/digital 2/220/70 APRS,DSTAR

Of course by the time you are ready to upgrade both companies may have new models ,but that's the state of the art currently ,keeping in mind that the newer Yaesu and a hotspot with get you into any repeater in the DMR/FUSION universe and the Kenwood the same for Dstar .with a hotspot and an HT no matter where you live or what's available locally ,using that hotspot will allow you to talk anywhere on the planet using half a watt (your battery will last a week) ,and you can still use what ever repeaters are locally available.
In mobile radios the FTM 400 offers the same as the FT2DR most hotspots will connect to your home computer as well as IPad/android for mobile use , i am a rather twisted guy I have a hotspot in the headrest out of the way with just a hidden power cable and and cord to plug into phone.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

F

fiscoking

Hello,

If anyone has this radio I'd be grateful if you could shed some light on the questions below. I cannot find the answers in the pdf manual and Alinco doesn't seem to have a support site that you can email (in the UK at least). I don't have the radio, but I'm looking to buy a DMR handset.

1. Will this radio monitor\decode frequencies in DMR mode with no colour code, talk group, talk slot and digital id. This feature is called Promiscuous mode but not all manufacturers implement it the same way. Some have the feature but still require you to supply one of the above codes. It's useful to have if you want to monitor a repeater or calling frequency but don't have the internet to look all the codes up.

2. If yes to the above, does it display the all the codes it's receiving in Promiscuous mode on reception - and is there a feature to allow you to call back using the last received code set? Just saves having to write it all down then program it back in manually.

3. Will this radio accept *any* 40-bit enhanced encryption code ? The manual says 'There are 32 selectable encryption codes' .... and I've seen some dealers state '32 pre-set codes'. 40 bits gives rise to over a billion keys so are Alinco restricting the values you can enter into the enhanced key field for some reason?

Many Thanks,

Hans13

1. Will this radio monitor\decode frequencies in DMR mode with no colour code, talk group, talk slot and digital id. This feature is called Promiscuous mode but not all manufacturers implement it the same way. Some have the feature but still require you to supply one of the above codes. It's useful to have if you want to monitor a repeater or calling frequency but don't have the internet to look all the codes up.

2. If yes to the above, does it display the all the codes it's receiving in Promiscuous mode on reception - and is there a feature to allow you to call back using the last received code set? Just saves having to write it all down then program it back in manually.

3. Will this radio accept *any* 40-bit enhanced encryption code ? The manual says 'There are 32 selectable encryption codes' .... and I've seen some dealers state '32 pre-set codes'. 40 bits gives rise to over a billion keys so are Alinco restricting the values you can enter into the enhanced key field for some reason?

Any answers in this reply will be my best guess. I own a DJ-MD5TGP and use it every day but mostly to listen to/scan a local repeater with digital monitor mode on. I haven't yet played with it nearly as much as my other radio gear. Undoubtedly, some with more knowlege on the subject will respond and either verify what I am posting here or correct it.

1) Yes. On page 11 (5.11) it talks about Digital Monitor Mode. "This function allows user monitor the incoming signal without matching color code or different talk group ID or even monitor both time slots by setting." I use this function and it does work.

2) AFAIK, yes. On page 12 (5.12) it talks about "Response and Save a call in Digital Monitor Mode." That is for an unmatched ID. I assume it also saves slot and color code. IIRC, the display shows me group ID, radio ID, slot number, and color code on any unprogrammed reception in digital monitor mode. Actually, my radio is almost always set to dual slot digital monitor mode. I only turn it off after I have turned to the calling talk group when I want to respond to a call. It's nice because I miss very little traffic on the repeater with that mode.

3) I don't know. Sorry. What I do think I know is that there are 32 regular encryption keys you can define and 32 longer (enhanced) encryption keys you can define. What I believe the number 32 refers to is not about the bit level of encryption, but rather simply that you can define 32 regular (shorter) keys and 32 enhanced (longer) keys. I really don't think that the number of memory locations to store key definitions have anything to do with how many bits the encryption is. In other words, 32 is the number of definable keys and not indicative of the bit level of encryption.

Rikbirdradio

First allow me to confirm that I WILL RTFM this weekend. However, in the short term interim maybe someone can offer a sentence or two addressing why I get at "TX Prohibit" message on the DJ-MD5 when trying to transmit simplex on 433.227?

Looking forward to saying "Duuuuh" to myself.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
First allow me to confirm that I WILL RTFM this weekend. However, in the short term interim maybe someone can offer a sentence or two addressing why I get at "TX Prohibit" message on the DJ-MD5 when trying to transmit simplex on 433.227?
The two potential causes I can think of based on what you posted are:
  1. Somehow your radio is set to a band mode that blocks transmissions below 440.000 MHz. After you RTFM, check your radio settings. Your band mode should be 00000. This gives Tx-Rx 136-174 and 400-480 MHz. (see chart below). If, for instance, it was set to band mode 00004, the VHF limits would be the same, but the UHF limits would be 440-480 Also try another frequency like 430.0000 and 440.0000 MHz.
  2. The radio may have the correct band mode, but the Tx offset may be set to an out of range offset.
Here's a chart of the band modes: (Frequency Expansion: Alinco DJ-MD5TGP)

Rikbirdradio

Thank you ladn. I will definitely make the appropriate adjustments and hopefully can move on to learning the many other functions of the radio.

bozata

The two potential causes I can think of based on what you posted are:
  1. Somehow your radio is set to a band mode that blocks transmissions below 440.000 MHz. After you RTFM, check your radio settings. Your band mode should be 00000. This gives Tx-Rx 136-174 and 400-480 MHz. (see chart below). If, for instance, it was set to band mode 00004, the VHF limits would be the same, but the UHF limits would be 440-480 Also try another frequency like 430.0000 and 440.0000 MHz.
  2. The radio may have the correct band mode, but the Tx offset may be set to an out of range offset.
Here's a chart of the band modes: (Frequency Expansion: Alinco DJ-MD5TGP)

View attachment 74127
The Tx is disabled by default for all frequencies. You can change than from the channel settings menu, or (globally) with the PC software

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
To easily upload private contacts, use import contacts on Alinco software. File needs to be csv formatted.

chilenet

I have had the Alinco DJ-MD5GP for about a year. I don't do a whole lot of transmitting though. I recently got an SWR meter. I'm not getting more than 2W tx when a digital DMR channel is set to high going out to a repeater. I have a Diamond SX40C SWR Power Meter and am hooked up to a Diamond dual band mag mount on my car. Analog channels are transmitting higher, like around 4W. Should there be lower TX power in digital channels? Thanks for any information, I've been looking all over.

KD8DVR

I have had the Alinco DJ-MD5GP for about a year. I don't do a whole lot of transmitting though. I recently got an SWR meter. I'm not getting more than 2W tx when a digital DMR channel is set to high going out to a repeater. I have a Diamond SX40C SWR Power Meter and am hooked up to a Diamond dual band mag mount on my car. Analog channels are transmitting higher, like around 4W. Should there be lower TX power in digital channels? Thanks for any information, I've been looking all over.

DMR "pulses" when it transmits. A power meter that is not designed for digital transmissions cannot properly read power output. Your radio is working fine.

chilenet

DMR "pulses" when it transmits. A power meter that is not designed for digital transmissions cannot properly read power output. Your radio is working fine.
Ah thanks! That explains it. Much appreciated KD8DVR.

Heavy_D

I'm still learning DMR, authorized to utilize below listed system. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere regarding this radio, it should be capable of these frequencies. I just want to confirm if it is possible.

Frequency Input
Type Tone Mode Tag
158.64000 159.39000 RMCC 3
TG 1001
SL 1
DMR Business
158.64000 159.39000 RMCC 3
TG 1002
SL 2

bozata

Does anyone have any insights when new firmware may be coming out? I do not see anything on Alinco web site and last update on Remtronix is from December.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Does anyone have any insights when new firmware may be coming out? I do not see anything on Alinco web site and last update on Remtronix is from December.
Good Question!!

Alinco seems to be on their own time schedule. Anytone is pushing out firmware updates every two months or so. The 878 is now on v 1.19.

Status
Not open for further replies.