Review of the FDM-S2 SDR receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYG

OK, that was indeed off. I clicked it & got this message...

ok. Try right clicking in the waterfall display and changing this:
Display settings-> advanced-> device configuration to a different BW setting.

Doing the above is selecting an Extio driver.

*I see your already working through these things above......

Every time I try to change something in the advanced setting I'm getting an error message. As you can see in this pictur, in the advanced settings, omnirig says it's not correctly installed. If I click on the box, it d oes nothing. What is omnirig & is this the cause of all my problems?

Attachments

• 20140802_183632.jpg
    20140802_183632.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 731

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
There are four receive channels did you
Click on one.

Double check antenna is connected to hf
And not vhf input
Try a system reboot

Yes, antenna is properly connected to hf & I'm using RX1. Not sure what you mean by a system reboot, but I've already restarted my computer.

NYG

What version s/w are you using?

You may have done this already after loading the driver but have you powered off the FDM-S2 and powered it on again?

NYG

I restarted it one more time & now I'm hearing stations on am radio! Thanks for everyone helping me out with this!

Awesome! I'm sure you'll love the little radio and this hassle will become a distant memory. It really is a great little rig.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Enjoy the radio join the elad yahoo group
When you have the time

matt-KD0LVH

Premium Subscriber
I'm VERY impressed with this thread. Thanks to alll of you for passing along this great comparing vs. vs. Infformation.
Signed,
--someone that can't afford to buy every SDR on the market to make his own compareing.

Sent from my LG-P999

After playing with this for a couple of hours last night I have to say it performs very well! I live in an apartment and have a Wellbrook LA5030 loop antenna. I usually have it outside sitting on my patio wall, but it was raining off & on last night so I had it in the spare bedroom/radio room. I've used it inside once or twice but even though it's their indoor advertised antenna, it really does need to be outside. With that said, I was able to pull stations out of static that I probably couldn't have with my other radios. I still have a lot of learning to do on how to fully use & understand this receiver, but with not even really reading the manual I was able to dive in to it last night and really hear a lot of stuff. Thanks again to everyone who helped me get this thing installed and working yesterday, that's what makes this forum what it is!

ShiftyPotts

After playing with this for a couple of hours last night I have to say it performs very well! I live in an apartment and have a Wellbrook LA5030 loop antenna. I usually have it outside sitting on my patio wall, but it was raining off & on last night so I had it in the spare bedroom/radio room. I've used it inside once or twice but even though it's their indoor advertised antenna, it really does need to be outside. With that said, I was able to pull stations out of static that I probably couldn't have with my other radios. I still have a lot of learning to do on how to fully use & understand this receiver, but with not even really reading the manual I was able to dive in to it last night and really hear a lot of stuff. Thanks again to everyone who helped me get this thing installed and working yesterday, that's what makes this forum what it is!

Excellent! We were all rooting for you! I also have a loop antenna I'm using inside temporarily. Danged thing works surprisingly well inside. I have a difficult place for an install and I'm momentarily delayed for another week or two, it actually involves stopping traffic if you can imagine, lol. I'm going to put up 3 antennas all at the same time on a 2 story commercial building.

Anyway, enjoy your new SDR, the rest of us are!

Bob

Excellent! We were all rooting for you! I also have a loop antenna I'm using inside temporarily. Danged thing works surprisingly well inside. I have a difficult place for an install and I'm momentarily delayed for another week or two, it actually involves stopping traffic if you can imagine, lol. I'm going to put up 3 antennas all at the same time on a 2 story commercial building.

Anyway, enjoy your new SDR, the rest of us are!

Bob
WOW! Sounds like a heck of a project! Sounds kinda cool though having to stop traffic for an antenna install! Good luck.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in getting the FDM-S2 as well, and am also looking at getting a wellbrook loop. Do you know what the difference is between the indoor and outdoor loops?

I am interested in getting the FDM-S2 as well, and am also looking at getting a wellbrook loop. Do you know what the difference is between the indoor and outdoor loops?
I have the indoor one, the LA5030-2. It's 70cm around where as the outdoor one, the 1530 is one meter. It's a plastic loop, I'm guessing there's wire or something inside it though. The indoor one can also be used outside, as everything is sealed in black resin and is waterproof. I always have mine sitting on the wall around my apartment patio.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I have the indoor one, the LA5030-2. It's 70cm around where as the outdoor one, the 1530 is one meter. It's a plastic loop, I'm guessing there's wire or something inside it though. The indoor one can also be used outside, as everything is sealed in black resin and is waterproof. I always have mine sitting on the wall around my apartment patio.

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at Wellbrook's site, it looks like the 5030 indoor loop doesn't come with an amp, but the larger 1530 outdoor loop does. Did your 5030 come with an amp?

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at Wellbrook's site, it looks like the 5030 indoor loop doesn't come with an amp, but the larger 1530 outdoor loop does. Did your 5030 come with an amp?
Yes, it has an amp in the base of the antenna. Click on the pdf file on Wellbrooks site on the American version of the LA5030-2 & it'll tell you everything about the antenna. I really like mine.

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't sure as Well brook has some conflicting info regarding the 5030 loop. This page from there site seems to show an amp is not included. Im glad it is as you mentioned.

Thanks again

Comparison Chart

jdobbs2001

Can anyone help me with installing the drivers for this thing because I'm ready to plow my fist right through this computer! I've got a brand new windows 8.1 computer 64bit. My gf & I have followed the instructions step by step but can't get the thing to connect. All I'm given the option to do is run it offline. It says that it has the version 3.0 but the instructions are all for version 2.5 if that helps. I'm waiting for an email back from elad who's also been helpful in this matter. Thought this was easy... LOL

Okay the problem with windows 8.1 is the pain in the *** security features that actually block the installation. There is a way to bypass this lockdown I had to look it up when I did it on my windows 8.1 laptop. I do not remember off the top of my head since I am not in the office where the notes are kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.