Same Codes and Event Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2HJS

Hello Everyone on RR,

Just a quick question.. So i've got this scanner.. Radioshack Pro-106 and I can program in SAME codes on it for my county and surrounding counties.

Can someone please explain to me what Event codes are and do you need them for the SAME codes to work?

Thank you!

Henry
N2HJS

QDP2012

Welcome to RR,

SAME codes are for geographic-area-specific messages (my town, your town, some other town, etc.). Event codes are for event-type specific messages (hurricane, flood, etc.). The RS106 can handle both. You can choose to use either or both. But, if I'm not mistaken, locking-out either an event-code or a SAME-code can influence how the other behaves.

Example: If you lock-out flood-events, but listen for your home-town SAME code, you might not hear a flood-alert in your home-town.

In other words, if you want to hear all alerts in your SAME-code area, then do not lock-out any events.

More information about the codes and wildcards can be found in the manuals:
and at weather.gov

Hope this helps,

N2HJS

Welcome to RR,

SAME codes are for geographic-area-specific messages (my town, your town, some other town, etc.). Event codes are for event-type specific messages (hurricane, flood, etc.). The RS106 can handle both. You can choose to use either or both. But, if I'm not mistaken, locking-out either an event-code or a SAME-code can influence how the other behaves.

Example: If you lock-out flood-events, but listen for your home-town SAME code, you might not hear a flood-alert in your home-town.

In other words, if you want to hear all alerts in your SAME-code area, then do not lock-out any events.

More information about the codes and wildcards can be found in the manuals:
and at weather.gov

Hope this helps,

That was perfect. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.