San Diego County encryption

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I heard that as well. But I will bet that the dispatcher hit a button disabling encryption or was at a console that had the encryption disabled.

nhse

Premium Subscriber
I heard that as well. But I will bet that the dispatcher hit a button disabling encryption or was at a console that had the encryption disabled.
What’s interesting is you only hear the dispatcher and the units in the field are all digitized and encrypted

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
A subscriber or console can easily be programmed to receive encrypted and transmit clear. Switch or button or hard programmed.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
La Mesa PD encrypted all mobile and handheld radios last week, and has now encrypted the dispatch console, so ALL LMPD traffic is now fully encrypted.

Paul

Heard from a different mail list that La Mesa PD is now encrypted. Have not had time to verify yet.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Just heard Chula Vista engine 51 say "CLEARED IN ON PD RADIO". Correct me if I am wrong, but CVFD firefighters and paramedics are not CLETS authorized, and cannot legally monitor the encrypted comms? This is the excuse the agencies are giving the media why they are not permittted to allow us access, because only approved law enforcement entities are CLETS authorized.

Paul

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just heard Chula Vista engine 51 say "CLEARED IN ON PD RADIO". Correct me if I am wrong, but CVFD firefighters and paramedics are not CLETS authorized, and cannot legally monitor the encrypted comms? This is the excuse the agencies are giving the media why they are not permittted to allow us access, because only approved law enforcement entities are CLETS authorized.

Paul

"CLETS Authorized" is sort of a loose/generalized term.

The authorization comes from FBI. I have to do the training periodically since I'm around CLETS terminals in our PSAP as well as stuff on the radio. There's a couple of levels:

State and Federal statutes, regulations and policies require that employees that have access to confidential criminal information be certified in the proper handling of sensitive information.​
Per FBI CJIS Security Policy regulation 5.2, all employees are required to take and pass an appropriate level proficiency test for their level of access. The three levels of access are:​
· Full Access Operators (users with functionality to do inquiries and updates)--Dispatch and Records units, Chief/Lieutenant​
· Less Than Full Access Operators (inquiries only)—Chief/Lieutenant, Sergeants & Officers​
· Practitioner (indirect access to general information, this test is focused solely on security)--Parking Officers, Administrative/Office Staff​

I fall under the "Practitioner", as in I'm not running inquires and I'm not directly handling information.
Fire would fall under the same level.

I seem to recall it taking about 30 minutes total, probably a bit less. It's not hard stuff to learn. In my role it comes down to:

If you see something you don't need to see, you don't look at it, you don't read it, you unsee it and you keep your mouth shut.​
If you hear something you don't need to hear, you don't listen, you unhear it, and again, you keep your mouth shut.​
Essentially it's like most IT security stuff. If you don't have business with the information, you avoid it. If you have to see/hear/taste/smell it, you never repeat it and you don't share it with someone else.

Failing that, it's possible for one to lose their job if they don't abide by the rules. Worst case, the agency loses their CLETS access. Probably if someone was stupid enough, they could face a judge.
Since most of us really like our super high paying, luxury, cushy government jobs, we tend to follow the rules. (Ask me about my Rolex, APX and Ferrari collection).

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The media can 100% be trusted to not listen to that stuff, and to 'forget" they heard anything they were not supposed to! I promiss! :poop:

"CLETS Authorized" is sort of a loose/generalized term.

The authorization comes from FBI. I have to do the training periodically since I'm around CLETS terminals in our PSAP as well as stuff on the radio. There's a couple of levels:

State and Federal statutes, regulations and policies require that employees that have access to confidential criminal information be certified in the proper handling of sensitive information.​
Per FBI CJIS Security Policy regulation 5.2, all employees are required to take and pass an appropriate level proficiency test for their level of access. The three levels of access are:​
· Full Access Operators (users with functionality to do inquiries and updates)--Dispatch and Records units, Chief/Lieutenant​
· Less Than Full Access Operators (inquiries only)—Chief/Lieutenant, Sergeants & Officers​
· Practitioner (indirect access to general information, this test is focused solely on security)--Parking Officers, Administrative/Office Staff​

I fall under the "Practitioner", as in I'm not running inquires and I'm not directly handling information.
Fire would fall under the same level.

I seem to recall it taking about 30 minutes total, probably a bit less. It's not hard stuff to learn. In my role it comes down to:

If you see something you don't need to see, you don't look at it, you don't read it, you unsee it and you keep your mouth shut.​
If you hear something you don't need to hear, you don't listen, you unhear it, and again, you keep your mouth shut.​
Essentially it's like most IT security stuff. If you don't have business with the information, you avoid it. If you have to see/hear/taste/smell it, you never repeat it and you don't share it with someone else.

Failing that, it's possible for one to lose their job if they don't abide by the rules. Worst case, the agency loses their CLETS access. Probably if someone was stupid enough, they could face a judge.
Since most of us really like our super high paying, luxury, cushy government jobs, we tend to follow the rules. (Ask me about my Rolex, APX and Ferrari collection).

ProLaw1

Any updates on whether or not it has made it to the governors desk for signing regarding the encryption bill.TIA

nhse

Premium Subscriber
Any updates on whether or not it has made it to the governors desk for signing regarding the encryption bill.TIA
It made it most of the way but did not make it out of one of the budget committees because of “who will pay the bills” concerns. SB1000 per the author will be reintroduced next year.

SB 1000, as amended, Becker. Law enforcement agencies: radio communications.Existing law establishes the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS) to make specified criminal justice databases, including individual criminal histories, wanted and missing persons, and stolen firearms, vehicles, and property, available to participating law enforcement agencies. Existing law prohibits unauthorized access to CLETS and the unlawful use of CLETS information by authorized users.Existing law authorizes the Attorney General to adopt policies, procedures, and practices related to the use of CLETS. These rules require a participating agency to restrict access to CLETS and define “access” as the ability to see or hear any information obtained from CLETS.This bill would require a law enforcement agency, including the California Highway Patrol, municipal police departments, county sheriff’s departments, specified local law enforcement agencies, and specified university and college police departments, to to, by no later than January 1, 2024, ensure public access to the radio communications of that agency, as specified. This bill would also require those law enforcement agencies to ensure that any criminal justice information or personally identifiable information obtained through CLETS is not broadcast in a manner that is accessible to the public, as specified.The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.This bill would provide that, if the Commission on State Mandates determines that the bill contains costs mandated by the state, reimbursement for those costs shall be made pursuant to the statutory provisions noted above.

On August 11, 2022 in the Assembly:
  • August 11 hearing: Held in committee and under submission.
On August 3, 2022 in the Assembly:
  • August 3 set for first hearing. Placed on suspense file.
On June 21, 2022 in the Assembly:
  • From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes 5. Noes 2.) (June 21). Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
On June 2, 2022 in the Assembly:
  • Referred to Com. on PUB. S.
On May 27, 2022 in the Assembly:
  • In Assembly. Read first time. Held at Desk.
On May 26, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Read third time. Passed. (Ayes 25. Noes 8. Page 3967.) Ordered to the Assembly.
On May 23, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Read second time. Ordered to third reading.
On May 19, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Read second time and amended. Ordered to second reading.
  • From committee: Do pass as amended. (Ayes 5. Noes 2. Page 3778.) (May 19).
On May 13, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Set for hearing May 19.
On May 9, 2022 in the Senate:
  • May 9 hearing: Placed on APPR suspense file.
On April 29, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Set for hearing May 9.
On April 19, 2022 in the Senate:
  • From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes 4. Noes 1. Page 3440.) (April 19). Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
On March 29, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Set for hearing April 19.
On March 23, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Re-referred to Com. on PUB. S.
On March 16, 2022 in the Senate:
  • From committee with author's amendments. Read second time and amended. Re-referred to Com. on RLS.
On February 23, 2022 in the Senate:
  • Referred to Com. on RLS.
On February 15, 2022 in the Senate:
  • From printer.
On February 14, 2022 in the Senate:

JoeyC

It's dead.

Sure, it may come back next year, but it'll probably be dead then too.
There were a lot of groups against this bill. It was never a slam dunk case, and won't be in the future.
The governor is an idiot and wouldn't do anything to promote freedoms within the state anyway.

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
I think the bill did a lot better then I thought it would. I sent Sen. Becker a thank you note. We passed the upper chamber of the California legislature. Now we have to reach out to the assembly members so they understand the issues and their concerns can be recognized. As long as I live here I will not give up. Media has awakened too, reach out, have some meetings. It's our democracy. See you next legislative session.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I think the bill did a lot better then I thought it would. ...
The thing is, close doesn't count. A bill can clear multiple hurdles only because the lawmakers involved have assurances from later hurdles that they will not pass it. It's all about political deals, whose seat is at risk, etc.. Makes me ill to think about it.

657fe2

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean?
Chicago and Eugene Oregon, and others post their dispatch traffic with a time delay, so people can know what their hero's are doing while making it impossible for criminals to take advantage of said information. A great way for a LEA to generate traffic to their web sites as well.

IBScan

9mo later Any updates??

I'm glad I didn't buy a SDS-100 cause my 436hp crapped out at 4yr (I was in process of sending it in for RTC I got UPS label but COVID went down). I was about to pull the trigger and saw some talk on here about ENC...