Saratoga County 311 identity?

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Who is/was "311" before trunking? When I started hearing it, I thought it was the ID for Ballston Spa's dispatch center. Lately, however, I see those RIDs and hear that ID being spoken on the 9-1-1 and Sheriff talkgroups in communication with various police units.

A search of the FCC ULS turns up no callsigns (current or expired) that end in 311.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I used a Police Call book from 2002 to get a start on this. On 154.875 there was a whole series of callsigns for 911 dispatch in Saratoga County starting with KUP304 and running through KUP314. KUP311 was listed for S Corinth. This license remains active on the FCC site with an expiration of 2032.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. A direct search for KUP311 turned it up. A geosearch for all licenses that contain "Saratoga" and "County" turns up no licenses with a K prefix. Everything starts with W.

Apparently this is a case of something I've observed elsewhere. People using trunked systems sometimes identify with obsolete callsigns.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Interesting. A direct search for KUP311 turned it up. A geosearch for all licenses that contain "Saratoga" and "County" turns up no licenses with a K prefix. Everything starts with W.

Apparently this is a case of something I've observed elsewhere. People using trunked systems sometimes identify with obsolete callsigns.
Why are you doing a geosearch? Search all licenses for Saratoga County, then CTRL+F in your browser, type in 311, and like magic 1 match returned for KUP311. Took 15 seconds. Or go to Saratoga County in the RRDB, go to the FCC Licenses, type in 311 in the search box, more magic as two licenses ending in 311 are returned. You appear to be over-complicating something very simple. Not everything needs to be a "forensic" search for clues, sometimes things are right in front of you.

As for using "obsolete callsigns" on trunking, the practice of using part of a callsign as the agency's identifier has been going on for many decades in every county in the state. It has nothing to do with trunking, it's common practice, and so the agencies tend to retain the moniker regardless of whether the callsign is applicable to the new trunked system.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
KUP311 MRD is the sheriffs old MRD(Mobile Radio District) channel with KUP311 being licensed to the transmitter on Spruce Mtn. I seem to remember if correctly that all the agencies in the county held a license for it at their stations when the county or agency needed to contact each other. Now it's the county psap for agencies that don't dispatch for themselves anymore. KUP311 that gets shortened to "KP311 or 311"

Same reason Saratoga Springs is 882. A license still held to this day although the frequencies have changed, now their old VHF license prior to joining the trunked system
Police department radio license for 1950.jpg

Last edited:

bryank104

Premium Subscriber
they still use the vhf frequency 154.875. they transmit on this 154.875 and the MRD talk group at the same time. they also use 158.775 and the 911 talk group at the same time. {transmit there message on both radio systems at the same time} i hope i said this right so every body understands what im trying to say

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Why are you doing a geosearch? Search all licenses for Saratoga County, then CTRL+F in your browser, type in 311, and like magic 1 match returned for KUP311. Took 15 seconds. Or go to Saratoga County in the RRDB, go to the FCC Licenses, type in 311 in the search box, more magic as two licenses ending in 311 are returned. You appear to be over-complicating something very simple. Not everything needs to be a "forensic" search for clues, sometimes things are right in front of you.

As for using "obsolete callsigns" on trunking, the practice of using part of a callsign as the agency's identifier has been going on for many decades in every county in the state. It has nothing to do with trunking, it's common practice, and so the agencies tend to retain the moniker regardless of whether the callsign is applicable to the new trunked system.
I almost always geosearch. There are a lot of repeated names across New York state.

You missed my point by overgeneralizing. I was speaking about trunked systems that have replaced to old radio systems to which the callsigns were assigned. I have observed several instances of expired/obsolete callsigns being used on trunked talkgroups, including commercial businesses.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
they still use the vhf frequency 154.875. they transmit on this 154.875 and the MRD talk group at the same time. they also use 158.775 and the 911 talk group at the same time. {transmit there message on both radio systems at the same time} i hope i said this right so every body understands what im trying to say
Yes understand. There are legacy VHF freqs patched to the trunked system. Some users still access the system from the VHF side.